eldfan is offline Registered User

Rams VP Kevin Demoff covers the cap, free agency

Rams VP Kevin Demoff covers the cap, free agency

by Carlos Osorio - AP
    The St. Louis Rams would like to see safety Oshiomogho Atowgwe in their future.

If there is a salary cap in 2010, the Rams will be approximately 35m under the salary, which would be the third most room under the cap in the NFL. There has been some pain this year, but the salary cap should not be the driving force behind any personnel decisions moving forward. This year, we were forced to create a dollar of salary cap room for every dollar of salary cap room spent. That meant making difficult decisions with some talented players, but we made the decisions that we thought were best for the long-term future of this organization.

Though I don't believe there will be a cap, having $35 million worth of space under the cap is great news. It means that the Rams can really make some strides to fill the big holes on the roster, without having to choose between one position at the expense of the other in the draft. Of course, if it is an upcapped year that means...

However, if 2010 is uncapped, there will be a limited free agent pool consisting of players with 6 years or more of experience. That will make it harder to sign young, talented players in free agency, the type of player every team wants in free agency. As a result, in an uncapped year, the draft will be paramount, which is one of the reasons we are trying to stockpile picks in the 2010 draft.

I don't know what his definition of stockpiling is, but so far the Rams have added a 5th round pick from the Eagles in the Witherspoon trade and a 7th round pick from the Falcons in the Tye Hill trade. Those could be packaged to move up in other rounds, of course. I don't know that they'll have much in the way of compensatory picks, since they really didn't lose many free agents of note.

Which players are up for free agency this year? It depends on the cap situation. Here's the list from Demoff:

...eight players...[that] would normally be Unrestricted Free Agents in 2010 who will be Restricted Free Agents in 2010 if there is no salary cap. Those players are as follows: Victor Adeyanju, OJ Atogwe, Alex Barron, Samkon Gado, Gary Gibson, Richie Incognito, Ruvell Martin, Mark Setterstrom. We would have the right to "tender" all of those players as RFA's. There are 6 players who will be UFA's no matter what the cap situation is: Kyle Boller, James Hall, Paris Lenon, Leonard Little, Chris Massey, Randy McMichael.

We'll talk plenty more about these guys down the road. For now, I'd say you can count on the Rams making an effort to hang onto Atogwe, Gibson, Incognito, Setterstrom, and some combination of Hall and Little. Those last two guys will surely be considering retirement, though they could still be useful as part timers.

:ramlogo:

Warner4prez is offline Registered User

Re: Rams VP Kevin Demoff covers the cap, free agency

The implications of an uncapped year are still mind boggling to me. Hopefully everything will work out with it, because the upcoming offseason will obvioulsly help to make (not break) this young developing team.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Warner4prez View Post
    The implications of an uncapped year are still mind boggling to me. Hopefully everything will work out with it, because the upcoming offseason will obvioulsly help to make (not break) this young developing team.
    Yeah, you think they'd know by now.

Also, if the Rams overpay for OJ, I'll go on a ranting spree and go insane. It's the worst possible decision they could make.
    RamsFan16

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Uncapped year would be really bad news considering how much more money we would have than most of the league. Also our options adding new young talent would be severly limited.

keep your fingers crossed for a capped, because with the player restrictions we would be looking at Al and Jerry Steinbrenner.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

When is the deadline for all of this stuff? When will we know?

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

ive been wondering for a while what would be the best for us regarding an uncapped or capped season...this article seems to have cleared up that it would be best for us if it went capped.

ive been Pro-cap since the get-go..but most of that has been based on what would happen once the cap was brought back in..and the fact that we would likely be herrings amongst sharks in the FA feeding frenzy,only being able to pick up the scraps once every other fish has eaten. with this article i am even more Pro-cap..having a capped year would really speed up our rebuilding growth, going un-capped would stunt that growth

RebelYell is offline Registered User

JMO but if 2010 is an uncapped year, the Rams screwed up by making their salary cap purge in 2009. I believe the NFL and players will come to a basic salary cap agreement for one season. NFL teams don't want it I'm sure and I seriously doubt the players would be in favor of it for a variety of reasons. Example, Barron and Incognito aren't free agents when they should otherwise be. Those guys would be royally ticked off. Plus how do teams sign contracts when they don't know what the cap situation will be in 2011? You can't go spend $160 million and then be forced back down to $130 million the next year without there being significant rules and potential for violations. Also, can you imagine all the older veterans that would be cut if there are no ramifications?

Lastly, without a salary cap, the Rams could just save the $35 million and not spend it. With a salary cap they are required to spend most of it because teams are required to meet a minimum salary figure. If two teams have more than the Rams, I gotta believe the players would be more rewarded with a cap versus the excess spending by a few teams if there is no cap.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Agree with wondering where our draft "stockpile" is.

Really great news, seeing that we'll be so far under the cap next year. What a quick turnaround.