Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    rammiser is offline Registered User

Re: RAMS will draft DORSEY if C. LONG is there.

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    So what is it about J. Long that has you so nervous?

And if you got Clady ahead of him, roll the dice and start broadcasting that pick. Because if you are right on with Clady over Long, you can honestly say you were the only calling it.
    For one this is just my opinion and realize I could be totally wrong. I just dont see Ogden,Pace,Roaf kind of talent in Long. I dont think he is a top 5 or even top ten pick. He is just rated the top tackle in the draft. I do like Clady more than Long and to be honest with you I dont consider Long a top tier Left tackle. I just dont look at him and see a guy that will be a teams staple at left tackle. I know your looking for more than that and I'm not a Buckeye fan either I just dont think he will be a star. I'll even go further out on a limb I also like Cherilus more than Long but that's just me. I dont want J. Long and hope and pray we get Gholston,Dorsey or Chris Long. If we end up with Cherilus in the second round I would be excited about that. I dont really like Chris Williams that much either but it's just and opinion and you know what they say about opinions.

Just Fix It

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

But is there not anything you can put your finger on?

And I appreciate your comments, miser; I'm not trying to pick a fight. It's just that several people have said the same basic thing.....there's "something" about Long they don't like. I'm just trying to put my finger on what it might be. Linehan calls him one of the best tackles he's seen. Mayock said he's an instant Pro Bowler at RT and an elite LT. Scott Wright said, after the combine, there's no longer any doubt Long can play LT in the NFL. He's the Big 10 OL of the Year two seasons straight including last year over Pro Bowler Joe Thomas.

I'm sincerely curious........what's not to like?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

rammiser is offline Registered User

But is there not anything you can put your finger on?

And I appreciate your comments, miser; I'm not trying to pick a fight. It's just that several people have said the same basic thing.....there's "something" about Long they don't like. I'm just trying to put my finger on what it might be. Linehan calls him one of the best tackles he's seen. Mayock said he's an instant Pro Bowler at RT and an elite LT. Scott Wright said, after the combine, there's no longer any doubt Long can play LT in the NFL. He's the Big 10 OL of the Year two seasons straight including last year over Pro Bowler Joe Thomas.

I'm sincerely curious........what's not to like?
    Maybe those are all the things I dont like it just seems to perfect. Tony Manderich perfect if you know what I mean. He seems a bit sluggish to me at times. I know he played in the big ten but can he handle speed rushers? I know he only gave up two sacks but it's college. How many NFL calibur de's did he face in his career? Like I discussed in another post the freshman Heyward seemed to have little trouble pushing Jake back and knocking him on his rear a couple of times in the Gholston highlight reel. Maybe I just havnt seen enough of him. I'm not a Michigan hater I'm a UNLV fan for crying out loud they dont even field a half way decent team. I just question whether Long can handle the big boys, I know he can handle most college athletes that will never see an NFL field. I just have my doubts that he is an elite tackle. While I appreciate Linehan saying he's one of the best he's seen, that could all just be posturing. Wright and Mayock are just opinion givers, they may have more knowledge than us but when it comes to the draft like TEX says it's a crap shoot. He may be the best tackle in the draft but I dont see a stud tackle like Pace,Ogden etc. in this draft. Which is why I wouldnt draft him top five. I really havnt given you any good reasons other than a gut feeling and opinions. If we do draft him I hope I am totally wrong.
    Just Fix It

Quote Originally Posted by rammiser
    How many NFL calibur de's did he face in his career?
    Vernon Gholston, Derrick Harvey, Cliff Avril, Trevor Laws, Maurice Evans, Lawrence Jackson, Victor Abiamiri, Adam Carriker, Tamba Hali, Ray Edwards, Justin Tuck, Tim Crowder, Brian Robison..........all those NFL caliber DEs faced, and only 1 sack allowed.
    He may be the best tackle in the draft but I dont see a stud tackle like Pace,Ogden etc. in this draft.
    But when looking at the top tier OT's from the past few years....Pace, Odgen, Jones, Roaf, Anderson......only Pace was considered a top 5 pick. That is to say, in their respective draft, only Pace was considered a stud tackle like Pace. Yet, nobody believes Long is less than a top 5 pick. I think there's a decent shot that Long will be considered along side those other names within the next few years.
    Wright and Mayock are just opinion givers, they may have more knowledge than us but when it comes to the draft like TEX says it's a crap shoot.
    But it's not that they "may" have more knowledge than us.......they do have more knowledge than us. They are talent evaluators, and I know they take a lot of heat for some of their calls (especially Mayock), but he was the only one I heard calling Donte Whitner the top Safety in 2006 and Ernie Sims as the #2 LB behind AJ Hawk. The DRAFT is a crapshoot, no doubt. However, talent evaluation is not. And I'd put the opinions of guys like Wright and Mayock up with the best. Their mock may not shake out with reality, but that's not talent evaluation......that's mind reading.

Again, Long, Long, Dorsey, Gholston...........any of them work for me. But the qualitative aversion to Jake Long really and truly intrigues me, every bit as much as the cultish weltanschauung following of Gholston.

Very intriguing.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

general counsel is offline Registered User

Pardon my ignorance, but what in the world is a weltanschauung in the context you are using it Big Bison?

I thought that was a description of what happens biologically to the average male when encountering angelina jolie in a bikini and high heels.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    Pardon my ignorance, but what in the world is a weltanschauung in the context you are using it Big Bison?

I thought that was a description of what happens biologically to the average male when encountering angelina jolie in a bikini and high heels.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    That's the "other" definition, GC.

But you know, a perspective of a concept as it relates to the entire universe in general. What I'm saying is, the adoration that surrounds Vernon Gholston has this cosmic....dare I say, Godlike ....feel to it.

harrydog is offline Registered User

That's the "other" definition, GC.

But you know, a perspective of a concept as it relates to the entire universe in general. What I'm saying is, the adoration that surrounds Vernon Gholston has this cosmic....dare I say, Godlike ....feel to it.
    But the same can be said of C. Long. Actually even more so.

Quote Originally Posted by harrydog View Post
    But the same can be said of C. Long. Actually even more so.
    Chris Long........Godlike.

Nope. Haven't seen that description yet.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Harry, I'm one of the biggest supporters of Chris Long, and I've never said that he's a god, unlike a certain thread about Gholston. I can be blamed for calling the no-name, not-NFL caliber in their dreams, guys who shut down Gholston Titan-like, however.

Would you call Peyton Manning godlike? Or just an extremely hard worker who nitpicks everything wrong in his game and studies film like it's going out of style? That's what I see in Chris Long, not any kind of godlike idolization. Chris spends his time doing everything he can to get better, and as such, made everyone around him better.

What has Gholston done to do that? He was on an collegiate all-star team to begin with, yet UVA's defense got after the QB more. Everyone says that Long is a polished, NFL ready product, and with no huge upside. Gholston's lack of polish gets a free ride because of his athletic ability, which is unrefined. Gholston got through college and high school on his natural ability, not on what he has learned about the game. So yes, he has more upside, however, upside is no guarantee, and if he hasn't solicited the help he needs to learn the game yet, when will he?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12