Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Rams willing to trade for Umenyiora?

Big Horn is offline Registered User

Rams willing to trade for Umenyiora?

Per Rotoworld

The Chargers, Seahawks, Broncos, Ravens and Rams have expressed an interest in trading for Osi Umenyiora, sources tell the New York Daily News.

None of these teams appear willing to meet the Giants' asking price of a first-round pick. But if the price is dropped to a second-rounder, the Giants may get someone to bite. The Daily News' sources cite the Rams as the team to watch -- former Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo now coaching in St. Louis.

Aug 2, 9:42 AM

01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

Re: Rams willing to trade for Umenyiora?

I dont think this is a good idea. We have hit on every 2nd pick so far (pending kendricks) since spags has been here and it's not like we dont have talent and depth already at DE. Selvie, Quinn, Long, Simms, and Hall it doesnt seem like osi would be needed on our line.
    Last edited by 01d 0rd3r; -08-02-2011 at 11:58 AM.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Here is the actual news report rather than just the Rotoworld summary...

Five teams in the hunt for Osi
    BY Ralph Vacchiano
    August 1, 2011 11:36 PM 19 comments

Just because Osi Umenyiora got permission from the Giants to seek a trade, doesn’t mean he’ll find one. But it does appear that he was able to find a few potential trade partners.

According to several league sources familiar with Umenyiora’s situation - though none directly involved in trade talks - there are five teams that have expressed some level of interest in trading for the disgruntled defensive end, either to the Giants or to Umenyiora’s agent, Tony Agnone. So far none of the teams are willing to part with the first-round pick the Giants desire.

However, if the Giants were willing to lower their asking price, a league source said the team might be able to get a second-round pick in return - possibly even a second and an extra pick, like the second and fifth they got from New Orleans in 2008 in the Jeremy Shockey deal.

The five teams that have expressed an interest are the St. Louis Rams, the San Diego Chargers, the Seattle Seahawks, the Denver Broncos and the Baltimore Ravens. It is not known which of the teams are the most interested, though a league source suggested the Ravens were unlikely and a source in Seattle said it was doubtful the Seahawks would be willing to give up a high pick and pay Umenyiora what he wants, too.

That combination seems to be the problem. Teams aren’t likely to give up first-round picks anymore, especially now that the rookie salary cap makes those picks much more affordable. To give up a pick that valuable and pay a 29-year-old defensive end with some recent injury issues a contract worth $10 million per year is probably for too much for most teams to stomach.

A few sources believe the team to watch in this is the Rams, where the obvious tie is their coach - former Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo. He knows what Umenyiora can do and how to use him, he knows Umenyiora will gladly play for him, and the Rams reportedly have plenty of cap room to spend.

For now, though, a team source said the Giants are holding firm to their demand that they get a first-round pick in return - a return they don’t seem likely to ever get.

So what happens if the Giants don’t trade Umenyiora? It’s a good question, and things could get very interesting - believe it or not, even more interesting than today when Umenyiora unloaded on his critics in an email to The Associated Press. One source who has spoken to Umenyiora said there is “almost no chance” he’ll agree to play for the Giants under his current contract, and a team source said the team has no intention of re-doing his deal, even if they had the salary cap room (which they don’t).
    I know Spags likes to have depth and a number of options on his defensive line, but after just spending a first round pick on Robert Quinn, it's hard for me to imagine the Rams spending next year's second round pick on a trade for Osi.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Maybe Spags has decided to go back to Pop Warner/Single Wing defenses and we're going to play the 5-2 this year. Can you imagine the destruction brought by Long, Osi, Robbins, Hall and Quinn on one line?!?!?!

No, this isn't happening, and any interest we had was to check his price. I can't see this happening, ever, unless we trade another one of our DE's away right after. This is like the Samuel issue in Philly, only the four of them aren't going to be on the field at one time ever, where in Philly they can play nickel constantly...
    I believe!

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    Maybe Spags has decided to go back to Pop Warner/Single Wing defenses and we're going to play the 5-2 this year. Can you imagine the destruction brought by Long, Osi, Robbins, Hall and Quinn on one line?!?!?!

No, this isn't happening, and any interest we had was to check his price. I can't see this happening, ever, unless we trade another one of our DE's away right after. This is like the Samuel issue in Philly, only the four of them aren't going to be on the field at one time ever, where in Philly they can play nickel constantly...
    I agree that the Rams are merely checking the price.? I do like the fact that the Rams are very active still in free agency, it seems like there interested in everyone.?

BrokenWing is offline Registered User

I dunno...this half sounds like some reporter was like "oh right and Spags works in St.Louis now so he's probably interested."
    Rammed and Ram Mar Ram like this.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

I think they checked it out, because if the price was say a fourth rounder, they would pull the trigger. Couldn't hurt. But higher than that, they probably wouldn't considering the high draft picks already invested in the position

MarTeezy is offline Registered User

I like it. Remember, when Spags ran the defense with the NYG, they had a wave of DE's that they would throw at teams. Umenyiora, Tuck and Strahan. If the Rams can get him for a third rounder and a conditional pick, I'd take him in a heart beat. He's not very good against the run, but you throw him in on third down, he can't be ignored. But a first round pick for a situational pass rusher is too much.

But imagine that damage that you can do if you can role out a rotation of Long, Hall, Umenyiora, Quinn and Selvey. I love the possibility.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    I think they checked it out, because if the price was say a fourth rounder, they would pull the trigger.
    The price tag wouldn't just be a (hypothetical) fourth-rounder, but also the multi-year contract Osi is looking for. That's why he wants out of New York. According to the article, he wants $10 million per year. He turns 30 this fall. Are the Rams really going to invest big money in another DE when they already have Long, Quinn, and Hall on the roster? I doubt it.

QUINNtessentialTruth is offline Registered User

This is definitely rumours put out there. Somebody put two and two together and came out with a story about Spags and Osi.

The main thing ofcouse here is the contract. He wants a lot of money. Assuming we can work all that out. I think I might be a fan of giving up a second round pick for him. There are a lot of (and I mean a lot of) logistics that have to work out right though.

QUINNtessentialTruth is offline Registered User

However, most likely he will just get more money from the Giants. Which is what he has been wanting for a while.

bigtiger737 is offline Registered User

lol.. not a good reason at all... but I have an authentic usi jersey that fits soooooooooo awesome... I could justify keeping it if we get him or else it's going to ebay... can't have foriegn soil on ram turf... . . ( accept a reggie white sculpture....it's the priest man)

Holt Your Horses is offline Registered User

Five teams show interest in Osi, but not in trading first-round pick

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on August 2, 2011, 10:43 AM EDT

AP
    Do the Giants really want to trade Osi Umenyiora?

They reportedly started trade negotiations on Monday by letting teams know they wanted a first-round pick in return. Any interested team will also have to give Umenyiora a new contract, so that trade price seems prohibitive.

Two things could be at play here:

1. The Giants donít really want to deal Umenyiora.

2. They are just starting the negotiating off on their terms, and will be willing to accept a lesser offer.

Ralph Vacchiano of the New York Daily News says thereís no fewer than five teams interested: St. Louis, San Diego, Seattle, Denver, and Baltimore. The level of interest for each team is unclear, although St. Louis could reportedly be a team to watch.

ESPNís Adam Schefter says it has become clear no one will give up a first-round pick for Umenyiora, who has been watching training camp from the sidelines. Vacchiano says the Giants wonít come off their first-round pick asking price (at least for now) and Umenyiora is unlikely to play for the Giants at his current salary.

Yep, this could take a while.

--------------------------------------------------------

Very interesting... Spags loves his boys I guess.
    Defence Wins Championships

general counsel is offline Registered User

With the exception of qb and probably offensive tackle or middle linebacker, there is no position that we are LESS likely to invest a high pick AND large bonus/cap money than defensive end. Its simply not a need for us and we live in the cap era.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

BigGameTH is offline Registered User

Reports are saying the giants have dropped the price to a second rounder for Osi.

I dunno guys, I wouldn't be surprised if we are making offers. Hall + 5th rounder for Osi at a $5 million/year contract? Both sides are being stupidly stubborn, maybe we can help them save face. I doubt the Giants would even match 5 million given their crazy depth at DE. I could definitely see it happening.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast