Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Rams willing to trade for Umenyiora?

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Rams willing to trade for Umenyiora?

Quote Originally Posted by BigGameTH View Post
    Reports are saying the giants have dropped the price to a second rounder for Osi.

I dunno guys, I wouldn't be surprised if we are making offers. Hall + 5th rounder for Osi at a $5 million/year contract? Both sides are being stupidly stubborn, maybe we can help them save face. I doubt the Giants would even match 5 million given their crazy depth at DE. I could definitely see it happening.
    Why would we trade a player & pick and give up $5 million a year (likely more given Osi's demands) given our depth at DE? Hall, Long, Quinn... we don't need to make a move here. Hall is perfectly adequate to hold the fort until Quinn is ready to take over. If you bring Osi in, you're going to have to sign him to a big deal for 3-4 years, which is going to force Quinn on the backburner.

This move would have made more sense had the Rams not spent their first round pick on a defensive end. Since they did that, I really don't see much reason to go out and spend resources on a position that appears to be a strength on this roster.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Can Osi play Will backer or SS? What about 2nd RB?

No? Then no.
    I believe!

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Like Teke wrote. If we were talking about a top linebacker then I would be all for it.? Id say their is a very small chance the Rams make a push for OSI.?

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

One thing for sure is that Spags is very familiar with Osi. So if Osi is a Spags guy it wouldn't surprise me if the RAMS are talking to the Giants about a trade. I'm all for it by the way.

Look James Hall is 34 years old and had arguably the second best season of his career last season. 54 tackles, 10.5 sacks and 6 FF's. Only one other season has he posted numbers like that. 2004 playing for the Lions, 48 tackles, 11.5 sacks and 4 FF's.

Osi on the other hand is only 29 years old and has started all 16 games of a season 3 times. All 3 seasons that he started every game he posted double digit sacks. (11.5, 13.0 and 14.5) Also at 6'3"- 261 lbs I'm sure Osi can play and has played alot of the front seven positions.

The real fly in the ointment here is that Ty Warren (formerly of the Patriots) just signed a 2 year deal with the Broncos for $10 million. I would think that Osi would want more than that?

Again this is only a factor if he's a Spags kind of guy.

GO RAMS!!!

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Giants tell Osi Umenyiora, agent they are no longer allowed to seek trade
    Published: Wednesday, August 03, 2011, 1:23 PM
    By Mike Garafolo/The Star-Ledger

The window for the Giants to trade Osi Umenyiora has apparently closed.

The team informed the two-time Pro Bowl defensive end today he and his agent are no longer allowed to seek a trade partner, according to someone informed of the conversation between the two camps today.

The person, who requested anonymity because the talks were to remain private, said the team's reasoning was Umenyiora's agent, Tony Agnone, has been unable to find a team willing to give up a first-round pick. A report in the Baltimore Sun Tuesday said the Giants had lowered their asking price for Umenyiora, though today's decision demonstrates the team's valuation of Umenyiora on the trade market has not changed.

The team's decision to take the trade off the table is a sign they're looking to nip this distraction in the bud, though it might only serve to further escalate Umenyiora's anger over his claim the Giants promised to restructure his contract.

Umenyiora will earn $7.1 million in base salary over the next two years combined, a mark the player believes undervalues his contributions to the team.

Umenyiora has been in camp since Saturday but has not participated in any practices because of an undisclosed injury. Fellow defensive end Justin Tuck believes Umenyiora is healthy enough to practice and the Giants have been unwilling to confirm he has an injury.

Though Tuck clearly would like a focused Umenyiora back on the field, he understands why he's taking the approach he's taken and doesn't want to interfere in another player's contract dispute. Other teammates have echoed that sentiment, and new alternate player rep Zak DeOssie said Umenyiora's stance is "completely justifiable."

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Darn!!! That shoots a major hole in an up and coming great debate!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12