throwback week

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Bralidore(RAMMODE) Guest

Re: Rams Work Out Colt McCoy

Perhaps you mean Bulger underthrew the crap out of them and Null threw them to the wrong people

molar_pistol Guest

i like colt, and would be happy going with suh first if we could get him with our second round pick. if we pass on bradford, it could end up making all the qb's fall a bit, and i still expect someone in the late-first to go with tebow over mccoy. he's got more arm strength than people give him credit for, i think at some point people questioned it (legitimately) a little bit and it got kind of overblown with comparisons to jeff garcia or chad pennington...he's got more arm than either of those guys.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Dave626 View Post
    Arm strength was "good enough" hmm. Well I like his mobility and that he has played at a high level for 4 years, but I wouldn't like the waiting till round 2, someone could really make us pay to move up if we had too, knowing that we would still need a QB.
    That's right, absolutely. Or... can you imagine, we take Suh and three other teams beat us to Bradford, Clausen, and McCoy.

Merci!

Assuming CMcCoy has what it takes and ends up meeting positive expectations -- which I'm guessing he will -- that nagging dilemma / speculation remains: we pick Suh at #1, Colt at #33 (also assuming other teams will select both SBradford and JClausen before McCoy, in that order).

And again, that's why Colt will probably go somewhere else. Rams likely to go SB.

Is Bradford's mobility comparable to McCoy's? I didn't see Colt's show today whereas I did see Sam Bradford several times last week. Just wondering in my limited views and layman's knowledge of a QB rookie prospect.

Between both of these two, right now I tend to favor SBradford.

molar_pistol Guest

bradford had great protection and never really had to deal with pressure, so it's hard to grade him there. mccoy did a great job of improvising when he had to. he's got great accuracy, as does bradford. when devaney says his arm strength is "good enough," he knows bradford's is certainly better but that doesn't mean colt's is terrible. the main problem with both of these guys is it's questionable whether either of them will be ready to play this year, all of these first year wonders in the last few years have come from pro-style offenses in college, whereas these guys played in gimmicky college spread systems and have a lot to learn.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post

Is Bradford's mobility comparable to McCoy's? I didn't see Colt's show today whereas I did see Sam Bradford several times last week. Just wondering in my limited views and layman's knowledge of a QB rookie prospect.
    Colt McCoy was Texas's leading rusher in 2008 and racked up 1588 yards and 20 TDs on the ground over the course of his career. Yeah, he's not Michael Vick or Vince Young, but is that mobile enough for you?

For what it's worth, if we need to burn our 4th Rounder to get back into the 1st, so be it. I'm willing to miss out on the next Darell Scott, Justin King, Victor Adeyanju, Jerome Carter, Claude Terrell, Shaun McDonald, DeJuan Groce, Travis Scott, Milton Wynn, Brandon Manumaleuna, Kaulana Noa or Brandon Chillar, (our only 4th rounder in the last decade to have a meaningful NFL career, albeit for someone else.) for this guy.

harrydog is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    Colt McCoy was Texas's leading rusher in 2008 and racked up 1588 yards and 20 TDs on the ground over the course of his career. Yeah, he's not Michael Vick or Vince Young, but is that mobile enough for you?

For what it's worth, if we need to burn our 4th Rounder to get back into the 1st, so be it. I'm willing to miss out on the next Darell Scott, Justin King, Victor Adeyanju, Jerome Carter, Claude Terrell, Shaun McDonald, DeJuan Groce, Travis Scott, Milton Wynn, Brandon Manumaleuna, Kaulana Noa or Brandon Chillar, (our only 4th rounder in the last decade to have a meaningful NFL career, albeit for someone else.) for this guy.
    Good point!

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Might as well get Tim Tebow then if you want mobility.

dave626 is offline Registered User
    Blog Entries

And Avery did his part by dropping all of them.
    Hey now, thats not right he did drop a few, but most balls he didnt see coming because hes 4'9" and cant see over the DB thats blanketing him.

ramhard is offline Registered User

Reason for the arm strength 'good enough'

Devaney and the Rams gain little by talking up Colt McCoy. There is no hot trade market, so if the Rams want a Suh/McCoy backup plan they need to have McCoy available at #33 so they want to underplay their interest not hype.

clarasDK is offline Registered User

As I understand the WCO it is about spreading the defence out with short well timed passes. But it is also part of the WCO to throw some deep bombs now and then to take advantage of the defence spreading out more. Also the spreading out of the defence should help the runningback get more room up the middle.

Or how gotten a wrong understanding of the WCO theme?

Sorry for a little off topic. But the arm strength discussion just got me thinking about it.

Bralidore(RAMMODE) Guest

Colt Mccoy seems to be a tad bit faster than Bradford on film. However, Mccoy ran a 4.77 40 time i believe. Bradford's listed as running a 4.9, 4.8, and a 4.69. On tape Bradford is no Peyton Manning in terms of how slow he is nor is he a Mcnabb in his prime, but as far as speed I think he's almost as fast as Mccoy and definetely is fast enough to keep a DE or DT trailing as he throws on the run.

Again however speed isn't his game and i guess when your trying hard to find ways for the Rams to pass on Bradford and pick suh.mccoy you'll nitpick to try and strengthen your argument and make up scenarios where Mccoy slips to 33 and the Rams look like geniuses instead of a FO who got completely screwed.

harrydog is offline Registered User

Re: Reason for the arm strength 'good enough'

Quote Originally Posted by ramhard View Post
    Devaney and the Rams gain little by talking up Colt McCoy. There is no hot trade market, so if the Rams want a Suh/McCoy backup plan they need to have McCoy available at #33 so they want to underplay their interest not hype.
    another good point.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

What I liked about this that hasn't been said yet is the Rams gave McCoy plays to run and he executed them. Bradford's was a scripted workout.

shower beers is offline Registered User

If we're entertaining the idea of McCoy falling to the second, let's take a quick look at the teams drafting in the bottom of the first round.

Going in reverse order, the first team that pops up is the Vikings drafting at no. 30. They need to start preparing for the future, and they've made it clear by repeatedly trying to get other signal callers that they don't feel Tavaris Jackson is the answer.

We keep moving down, and then we reach the Cardinals. It's pretty unlikely that they bring in a third QB to compete this year, so I'd go out on a limb and say they're not looking at him very hard. They have more pressing needs.

You can move down to the pats at 22. They could take a look at him, but I doubt it. Their team is aging all over the place, and they need to replenish some key positions, like tight end or corner.

You go down to 18 with the Steelers and it seems like it's too early to be looking at him here. I know there is controversy with Big Ben right now, but currently he's still on the team and they're also high on Dixon.

So really, he has to get past the Vikings at no 30 to fall into the second. If the Rams were to trade up 4 spots from their second round position, they could make it happen. Not at all that difficult to imagine a scenario like this happening, although keep in mind that our FO was unable to make this happen last year with Laurinaitis (though we don't know if this is because they were unwilling to give up a whole lot to do so, or if there were no takers on the trade, etc.).

Sorry for the length, but I just thought I would take a longer look at it. I'm not saying this is what I'd prefer us to do, but just an observation.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I've said all along he goes to the Vikings this year. I don't think there is any way Minnesota passes on Colt McCoy.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast