Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 40 of 40
  1. #31
    HUbison's Avatar
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kentucky
    Age
    40
    Posts
    13,641
    Rep Power
    145

    Re: Rams Work Out Colt McCoy

    Quote Originally Posted by shower beers
    Going in reverse order, the first team that pops up is the Vikings drafting at no. 30. They need to start preparing for the future, and they've made it clear by repeatedly trying to get other signal callers that they don't feel Tavaris Jackson is the answer.
    It's interesting, shower; former scout and friend of this site, Scott Wright, has the Vikes going with a QB in the first..........Tebow.

    Not sure I'm on board with that one, as McCoy seems to make more sense for them. But he has McCoy falling to the Browns at #38.

    I guess I can't wrap my head around the idea of Tebow over McCoy; I just don't see it.

    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

  2. #32
    berg8309's Avatar
    berg8309 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    1,899
    Rep Power
    42

    Re: Rams Work Out Colt McCoy

    Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    It's interesting, shower; former scout and friend of this site, Scott Wright, has the Vikes going with a QB in the first..........Tebow.

    Not sure I'm on board with that one, as McCoy seems to make more sense for them. But he has McCoy falling to the Browns at #38.

    I guess I can't wrap my head around the idea of Tebow over McCoy; I just don't see it.
    I can't either, Tebow is more of a long-term project than McCoy, and I wouldn't count on a few more years of Favre. You may get it you may not. If Favre only goes one more year, I doubt Tebow is ready to start by then, McCoy would.

    Also, I just don't see Tebow as success at the QB position. Not sure what position actually. I think he winds up as a kid who was great in college, but just never translated to the NFL game.

  3. #33
    HUbison's Avatar
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kentucky
    Age
    40
    Posts
    13,641
    Rep Power
    145

    Re: Rams Work Out Colt McCoy

    I think he winds up as a kid who was great in college, but just never translated to the NFL game.
    Wouldn't be the first Gator QB to fit that description, would he?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

  4. #34
    tomahawk247's Avatar
    tomahawk247 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Essex, England
    Age
    28
    Posts
    4,745
    Rep Power
    57

    Re: Rams Work Out Colt McCoy

    If there was some way to guarantee that we could get McCoy in the second round, then i would be all for passing on Bradford, taking Suh and getting McCoy in the second.

    But because there isnt a way to gurantee it, i think the team takes Sam Bradford first overall. I really cant imagine going into the season with AJ Feeley as the starting QB. Something is going to change at the QB position, and the only surefire to do that is either make a trade for an existing NFL player, or take Bradford.

  5. #35
    MauiRam's Avatar
    MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Maui, Hi.
    Age
    70
    Posts
    4,917
    Rep Power
    79

    Re: Rams Work Out Colt McCoy

    Two things:

    1) What exactly would we have to give up to move up to the 29th spot (Jets) or 28th spot (Chargers)? Thoughts? I believe the Rams have maintained a very good relationship with the Chargers over the years going all the way back to when they were a southern Cal team.

    2) Arm strength .. I'll reference Joe Montana again here, and remind those who don't remember (perhaps some of our younger members) that Joe did not have a cannon. What he did have though was a remarkable ability to read what was occurring on the field in milliseconds, and find the open man. I am not saying that Colt McCoy is going to be the next Joe Montana, but there are some similarities .. It would have been nice to be a fly on the wall when Billy and Spags got together alone to compare notes after Colt's non scripted workout ..

  6. #36
    berg8309's Avatar
    berg8309 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    1,899
    Rep Power
    42

    Re: Rams Work Out Colt McCoy

    Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post

    2) Arm strength .. I'll reference Joe Montana again here, and remind those who don't remember (perhaps some of our younger members) that Joe did not have a cannon. What he did have though was a remarkable ability to read what was occurring on the field in milliseconds, and find the open man. I am not saying that Colt McCoy is going to be the next Joe Montana, but there are some similarities .. It would have been nice to be a fly on the wall when Billy and Spags got together alone to compare notes after Colt's non scripted workout ..
    Since a lot of people point out the Joe Montana lack of arm strength argument, I'd just like to point out the same comparisons were made with Leinert. Lack of arm strength but can read defenses, is accurate, and he was a winner. Just pointing it out.

  7. #37
    Azul e Oro is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    CALIFORNIA
    Posts
    2,396
    Rep Power
    72

    Re: Reason for the arm strength 'good enough'

    Quote Originally Posted by ramhard View Post
    Devaney and the Rams gain little by talking up Colt McCoy. There is no hot trade market, so if the Rams want a Suh/McCoy backup plan they need to have McCoy available at #33 so they want to underplay their interest not hype.
    Yes and no.There may not be a hot trade market two weeks before the event but I think Devaney may well be trying to tease a trade for that top o' the second pick by talking up McCoy.Both Cleveland and Philly are rumored to have interest in Colt & The Eagles,in particular, have double dips in rounds 2-4 so they have some wampum to trade.

    Some other teams are bound to see their 1B choice still available after round 1 as well so that overnight break between rounds, as noted by AV & others some time ago, could be the most interesting/busiest part of the draft.

    In general,this talk of a strategy to get a Suh/McCoy package reminds me of last year when folks were trying to think up a scenario to snag Curry & take one of the second tier tackles. I think it's far too big a risk to be likely, especially now that The Rams have let Bulger go, unless Devaney is playing some really serious poker & has several acceptable QB options in mind that would be available/acceptable to The Rams.

  8. #38
    molar_pistol is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    az
    Posts
    938
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Rams Work Out Colt McCoy

    Quote Originally Posted by berg8309 View Post
    Since a lot of people point out the Joe Montana lack of arm strength argument, I'd just like to point out the same comparisons were made with Leinert. Lack of arm strength but can read defenses, is accurate, and he was a winner. Just pointing it out.
    leinert has talent though, if he would just get out of the hot tub and practice now and again.

  9. #39
    harrydog's Avatar
    harrydog is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    429
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: Reason for the arm strength 'good enough'

    Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    Yes and no.There may not be a hot trade market two weeks before the event but I think Devaney may well be trying to tease a trade for that top o' the second pick by talking up McCoy.Both Cleveland and Philly are rumored to have interest in Colt & The Eagles,in particular, have double dips in rounds 2-4 so they have some wampum to trade.

    Some other teams are bound to see their 1B choice still available after round 1 as well so that overnight break between rounds, as noted by AV & others some time ago, could be the most interesting/busiest part of the draft.
    Yet another good point.

  10. #40
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    32
    Posts
    19,660
    Rep Power
    154

    Re: Rams Work Out Colt McCoy

    Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    Honest question:

    Is arm strength really a concern when we run an offense that is reluctant to throw past the first down marker?
    I don't get the impression that arm strength is a big prerequisite in the Rams' offensive scheme, no.


    Quote Originally Posted by Bralidore(RAMMODE) View Post
    Colt Mccoy seems to be a tad bit faster than Bradford on film. However, Mccoy ran a 4.77 40 time i believe. Bradford's listed as running a 4.9, 4.8, and a 4.69. On tape Bradford is no Peyton Manning in terms of how slow he is nor is he a Mcnabb in his prime, but as far as speed I think he's almost as fast as Mccoy and definetely is fast enough to keep a DE or DT trailing as he throws on the run.

    Again however speed isn't his game and i guess when your trying hard to find ways for the Rams to pass on Bradford and pick suh.mccoy you'll nitpick to try and strengthen your argument and make up scenarios where Mccoy slips to 33 and the Rams look like geniuses instead of a FO who got completely screwed.
    Look, I understand you're a Bradford guy. But you have to be honest - McCoy has a pretty solid advantage when it comes to mobility. Not only does he have more experience avoiding the rush, but he has more experience and success actually running the ball and making plays with his feet.

    It's interesting that you seem to criticize Suh advocates for supposedly nitpicking things to strengthen their argument, while at the same time downplaying the differences in mobility between Bradford and McCoy because of... forty times.


    Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    What I liked about this that hasn't been said yet is the Rams gave McCoy plays to run and he executed them. Bradford's was a scripted workout.
    Agreed, but after Bradford's private workout, I expect they'll be equally complementary in terms of how he did.

    And for all we know, Bradford may do just as well if not better even with the Rams' script. After all, he's a talented prospect, but I also think these kinds of workouts play to his strength.

    Speaking of pro days and scripted workouts, here's an interesting quote from Green Bay Packers head coach Mike McCarthy when he was asked to compare Bradford and McCoy's pro days...

    Green Bay coach Mike McCarthy was in Norman, Okla., on Monday when Bradford completed 62 of 63 passes. He was in Austin on Wednesday.

    How did he compare the two workouts?

    "I like this workout better from the fact I thought Colt was challenged more in his workouts as far as the type of throws," McCarthy said. "I thought in Sam's workout, he was very accurate. But Sam's workout was very controlled. He didn't do as much movement and as many driving throws, in my opinion.

    "I thought Colt's workout was more challenging. He had more down-the-field, driving type throws, which personally, I always look for because I think you get more information out of those."
    Kind of an interesting assessment.


    Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    Going in reverse order, the first team that pops up is the Vikings drafting at no. 30. They need to start preparing for the future, and they've made it clear by repeatedly trying to get other signal callers that they don't feel Tavaris Jackson is the answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    So really, he has to get past the Vikings at no 30 to fall into the second.
    Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    I've said all along he goes to the Vikings this year. I don't think there is any way Minnesota passes on Colt McCoy.
    Despite their need for a QB of the future, I would argue the Vikings are probably in a better position to take another player in the first round - one that is more likely to help them win now while they still have Favre (assuming he returns) - than they are a back-up to groom. I believe they could really target a cornerback in that spot, and there are a number of late first early second round guys sitting in that range.


    Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    Two things:

    1) What exactly would we have to give up to move up to the 29th spot (Jets) or 28th spot (Chargers)? Thoughts? I believe the Rams have maintained a very good relationship with the Chargers over the years going all the way back to when they were a southern Cal team.

    2) Arm strength .. I'll reference Joe Montana again here, and remind those who don't remember (perhaps some of our younger members) that Joe did not have a cannon. What he did have though was a remarkable ability to read what was occurring on the field in milliseconds, and find the open man. I am not saying that Colt McCoy is going to be the next Joe Montana, but there are some similarities .. It would have been nice to be a fly on the wall when Billy and Spags got together alone to compare notes after Colt's non scripted workout ..
    1) According to the trade value chart, the difference between the 28th and 29th pick in the draft and the Rams' 33rd pick in the draft is equivalent to a mid-fourth round pick (between 60-80 points of value). It's hard to say what other teams will demand when it comes to trades, but to give you an idea of something that would be close value-wise, the Rams could trade their second round pick (#33; 580 value) and fourth round pick (#99; 104 value) to the Jets for their first round pick (29; 640 value) and their fourth round pick (#124, 48 value). That's only a total difference of four point, and all the Rams would be doing is swapping fourth round picks with New York.

    2) I agree; there are plenty of quarterbacks who have found success in this league without a cannon for an arm. I would much rather have a quarterback with great accuracy and a solid arm than one with a great arm and only solid accuracy. Two interesting comparisons I've seen for McCoy, if you'd rather not risk someone mistaking your point for a comparison to Montana, have been Jake Plummer and Jeff Garcia.


    Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    Yes and no.There may not be a hot trade market two weeks before the event but I think Devaney may well be trying to tease a trade for that top o' the second pick by talking up McCoy.Both Cleveland and Philly are rumored to have interest in Colt & The Eagles,in particular, have double dips in rounds 2-4 so they have some wampum to trade.
    I don't envision the Eagles trading up to take another QB in the second round. Kolb was a second round QB and is their QB of the foreseeable future; they have other areas to address.

    Cleveland has a legitimate shot at targeting McCoy if they don't draft Clausen in round one (and I don't expect them to). The problem with the Rams and trying to drive up a trade market for McCoy is that the teams that pick after them - Detroit, Tampa, Kansas City, and Philadelphia - are likely not going to be pulling the trigger on McCoy. So why deal with the Rams when you could deal with one of those teams in order to jump ahead of Cleveland?

    I don't doubt the Rams will field a number of trade offers for that pick, but I suspect it'll be from teams looking at other prospects rather than McCoy. If a team wants McCoy, they really only have to get in front of Cleveland @ 38, and that means there are four other teams they could be talking to besides the Rams.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!



Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Threads

  1. Chat w/ Jim Thomas - Feb 24th
    By Nick in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: -02-25-2009, 07:01 PM
  2. Rams Playoff History
    By OldRamsfan in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: -02-09-2009, 10:14 AM
  3. Gordo 2/4/08
    By ramsplaya16 in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -02-04-2008, 07:01 PM
  4. Postgame With Gordo
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -10-22-2007, 02:43 PM
  5. RAMS Tale of The Tape
    By OldRamsfan in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: -01-09-2006, 03:53 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •