RamsFan16s new Mock V 1.4

Round 1: Chad Greenway LB, Iowa

Round 2: Antonio Cromartie CB, FSU

Round 3: Roman Harper S, Alabama

Round 4: TJ Williams TE, NC State

Round 5: Dewayne Slay S, Texas Tech

Round 6: PJ Daniels RB, Georgia Tech

Round 7: Jovon Johnson CB, Iowa
    Last edited by RamsFan16; -03-01-2006 at 12:40 AM.

RamsFan16

RamJackson39 is offline Registered User

Re: RamsFan16s new Mock V 1.4

Slay isnt a good pick. He's a big hitter, but he's bad in coverage.
    The Roman and The Prince. Playmakers until the end.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Thats why I picked him in Round 5.
    RamsFan16

chiguy is offline Registered User

I'll pass on Slay.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I'm not a Slay fan either.

And after the combine, I'm not sure we're getting good value with Greenway at 11th overall.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I still like Greenway. We're paying him to play football, not bench press. And on film, he still looks like one of the best LBs in the land. Having said that, of course, his 16 reps does concern me, if that translates to an inability to shed blockers.

As for Cromartie, he is gone long before our 2nd pick, IMHO.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Rip32 is offline Registered User

I will pass on Greenway and Slay

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    I still like Greenway. We're paying him to play football, not bench press. And on film, he still looks like one of the best LBs in the land. Having said that, of course, his 16 reps does concern me, if that translates to an inability to shed blockers.

16 reps is real bad. Especially when you see Jay Cutler did above 20. If the Rams plan on using a 3-4 then he needs to be strong.

Greenway seems to be a guy you would draft in Madden from a Madden generated draft class. He seems good on the outside, but he has one or two attributes that take him down a notch.

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247
    16 reps is real bad. Especially when you see Jay Cutler did above 20. If the Rams plan on using a 3-4 then he needs to be strong.

Greenway seems to be a guy you would draft in Madden from a Madden generated draft class. He seems good on the outside, but he has one or two attributes that take him down a notch.
    Agreed, but last year Barron's bench press was weak too. I'm working off memory, but I think he only did 19.

My point is some of these guys are better players than they are athletes, ie. their production out-paces their bench, 40's, 3-cones, etc.

Just as there are workout warriors that never make it on the field, there are workout weiners that become all-pros. I'm not saying Greenway is one or the other, instead I'm saying he's the same all-American LB today that he was before his bench.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

serkicker32 is offline Registered User

speaking of workout warriors, how about that tweener from Ohio State he had a pretty good combine. Maybe he will be available in the second day.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Agreed, but last year Barron's bench press was weak too. I'm working off memory, but I think he only did 19.

My point is some of these guys are better players than they are athletes, ie. their production out-paces their bench, 40's, 3-cones, etc.

Just as there are workout warriors that never make it on the field, there are workout weiners that become all-pros. I'm not saying Greenway is one or the other, instead I'm saying he's the same all-American LB today that he was before his bench.
    Barron's weak bench is probably one of the things that caused him to drop. He went from the consensus first OT taken to the latter half of the first round. That's why some of us wonder if Greenway's less than stellar combine is going to do the same for him - someone regarded as a top pick slipping toward the bottom of the first because of measurables.

Of course you can find examples of players who put up weak measurables but went on to play well. But does that mean we should pay no attention to the measurables? Not really, nor do I think that was the point you were making. I think game film is probably the biggest assessment a team uses on a player, but I think the player also has to show up in these workouts and show the skills teams think they have.

One of the main concerns with Greenway was that he gets lost in the pile, has trouble shedding blocks, and that some of his tackles are made from behind rather than him blowing up a play. Those concerns are justified when he runs a slow forty time and doesn't display good strength, because they you start to think his speed might prevent him from beating that 4.4. back to the outside or that his lack of strength is going to allow opposing TE's or OL-men to push him around.

That doesn't mean it's for sure going to happen, but you definitely have to be wary of it. The measurables not meaning something about how this guy plays on the field is typically more the exception than the rule.

Greenway may be the same All-American LB that he was prior to the combine, but the weaknesses and concerns people had before the combine have not only not been disproved, but in fact may have been magnified.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

rampete is offline Registered User

i was rather surprised greenway ran a 4.75 and a 4.77 at the combine...

he can't have an excuse that the track was slow because we all know what v. davis and m. lawson did on their 40's...

maybe greenway was not 100% prepared for the 40 sprint because having seen him on tv, he definitely looks and plays faster than he times...on the other hand he looked soft and slightly overweight in his weigh-in...almost as if he wasn't working out regularly...

imo, one of the reasons why these measurables are important is to see rather the player will make a good transition to the speed and intensity of the nfl...playing great in the collegiate ranks doesn't always translate well in the pros...as we all know by now...kennedy, d. lewis, etc...

by the way, barron did 21 bench presses and scored a 19 on the wonderlic...ran a 4.83
    Last edited by rampete; -03-02-2006 at 01:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick

One of the main concerns with Greenway was that he gets lost in the pile, has trouble shedding blocks, and that some of his tackles are made from behind rather than him blowing up a play.
    This is the part that scares me. IF his poor combine is indicative of his potential, then he needs to be somewhere like the Jets, or the Bears....some place with a solid MLB that will take away attention. Somewhere other than here.

He's sound fundamentally, and maybe his technique skills, as well as, standing next to a top MLB like Abdul Hodge helped alleviate some of his physical weaknesses.

Can he overcome this to promote his game? I think so, but he sure cost himself a good chunk of money last weekend.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Greenways “people” did him a disservice to have him workout. They had to know what kind of numbers he was going to put up. You would think they would have made a statement like; Greenways resume is his game film.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Who gives a crap about the Bench. There is a diffrence between Football tough which Greenway is and bench tough in which he isn't. He may not bench strong but it doesn't mean that he isn't strong and also its alot easier for guys with little arms to bench more than guys with big arms in which Greenway does. Plus he was really impressive in the linebacker drills. He has a natural hip movement and did some great swim moves on the drills. Look outside of his 16 reps and look at his football skill. I mean Pisa only did it 19 times and look how good he is because of his athletic ability. Andra Davis only did it 20x's and was 5th in the league for LBs and tackles. It doesn't take bench toughness to have good football toughness and be a productive Linebacker. Although you'd like them to be strong and you can certainly improve on that it takes agility, and good decision making to. I'm not saying 16 is good because it isn't good its not bad though I'm saying that it means more to be more football tough than bench tough and I know Greenway is faster than a 4.72 or w/e he ran he had a bad run. I say about a 4.5-4.6.
    RamsFan16

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast