Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

RamsFan16's PreNCAA/PreNFLSeason Mock Draft (Analysis of first 2 rounds)3 round total

Since its slow right now. I've decided to take a Pre College Football and Pre NFL Football Season mock draft. This is just too see how much things change. This is based on my opinion.

Round 1: Brandon Meriweather S, Miami
    Highlight hit of his. Click Here!

Analysis - The Rams have what they think is there Future Free Safety in OJ Atogwe and there current SS in Corey Chavous. But after Chavous is there life? Jerome Carter last year looked good at times and horrid at others. He is horrible in coverage and is a big hitter who needs to learn how to tackle and not go for the big hit. Brandon Meriweather is a undersized SS at 6'0" 188lbs right now but is a good tackler and who plays good in coverage. Some people are comparing him to the next Ed Reed with his size (Reed 5'11" 200lbs)(Meriweather 6'0" 188lbs) and coverage ability. Last season as the Hurricanes SS he managed 3 interceptions which tied the team lead in that category. The Rams could have two playmakers in the backfield if they take him in the 2007 NFL Draft.
    Compared - Ed Reed

Round 2: Troy Smith QB, Ohio State
    Troy Smith highlights here!

Analysis - The Rams are set at QB for now with Bulger and Backup QB Gus Frerotte. They drafted in the previous two drafts QB's Jeff Smoker and Ryan Fitzpatrick. But were they just a Mike Martz Project? Troy Smith is 6'1" - 6'2" 215lbs. He is undersized but so is McNabb at 6'2". Troy Smith has outstanding atheletic ability and has a cannon. I compare him to Donovan McNabb but with better scrambling ability. He has a cannon for an arm and can get the balldownfield with no problem which would be good because of the offense we run and the love for the Deep Pass. If we drafted Troy Smith I believe it would improve our offense. We can run with Jackson, go deep with Holt and scramble with Smith. Thats a great combination too have with a bruising back (SJ), deep threat (TH) and scrambling QB (TS). Our O Would be dangerous and I'd like to believe that Linehan would like to work with another scrambling/good passing QB like Cullpepper.
    Compared - Donovan McNabb

Round 3: Mike Jones OT, Iowa

Compared - Kyle Turley

Comments appreciated.
    Last edited by RamsFan16; -07-19-2006 at 03:26 AM.

RamsFan16

Bruce=GOAT is offline Registered User

Re: RamsFan16's PreNCAA/PreNFLSeason Mock Draft (Analysis of first 2 rounds)3 round total

That move Holmes put on the CSU player was sick. Troy Smith looks comfortable in the pocket and seems to pass first then scramble when necessary. Cool thread RF16..

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: RamsFan16's PreNCAA/PreNFLSeason Mock Draft (Analysis of first 2 rounds)3 round total

To tell you how much preseason rankings change, Marcedes Lewis was a consensus top 15 pick prior to and even during the season at times. So yeah, this is quite early.

That said, if we go safety in the first round, I'd prefer Texas' Michael Griffin or LSU's LaRon Landry over Meriweather. Barring any kind of big setbacks or injuries, I'd be surprised if Smith was available in round two. He showed last year that he can get it done both through the air and on the ground, and as long as he doesn't stumble this season, will contend to be the second quarterback taken (assuming Quinn is the first).

As for Mike Jones, he's interesting because I believe he's seen a good bit of time at guard as well. However, I'm not too sure how comfortable I am with Iowa o-line prospects. I liked Steinbach in 2003, but Gallery hasn't come on as quickly as Raider fans would like from what I've heard and that's really about all that's come out of there since Ross Verba in '97.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

As would I prefer LSU's LaRon Landry, and Texas's Michael Griffin. But I was going with picking In the 20s. From what I believe our success will bring us this year.

In my opinion though there isn't really a best safety in the Top 3 between Meriweather, Griffin and Landry. There all going to be good I believe. I just hope one falls to us.

I know highlights mean nothing but here are a few others prospects I wouldn't mind us taking in Round 1 standing right now.

WR Dwayne Jarret
    WR Calvin Johnson
    WR Sidney Rice
    OT Joe Thomas
    QB Drew Stanton
    QB Brian Brohm

Alternate although wouldn't spend a first on:
    WR Ted Ginn Jr. although he doesn't have a true position. Much like Devin Hester last year. Ginn Jr. is raw but has lighting speed and playmaking ability. Will be the next Dante Hall.

There is a prospect you should watch this year and its RB Tyrone Moss from Miami Hurricanes. He could be a good Change of Pace back to Steven Jackson in the future, and also Lorenzo Booker from Flordia State.
    Last edited by RamsFan16; -07-19-2006 at 07:01 PM.
    RamsFan16

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Re: RamsFan16's PreNCAA/PreNFLSeason Mock Draft (Analysis of first 2 rounds)3 round t

Man 16, how can you even think about the draft right now with the season so close I can smell it. My focus is else where I guess. How many days until kick-off :-)

Re: RamsFan16's PreNCAA/PreNFLSeason Mock Draft (Analysis of first 2 rounds)3 round t

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith
    Man 16, how can you even think about the draft right now with the season so close I can smell it. My focus is else where I guess. How many days until kick-off :-)
    I usually wouldn't but since its so slow right now, I figured I'd try to jump start and get some action around here and coversation. But no one else looked. O'well. I now live and die for the draft and footbalL!
    RamsFan16

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16
    I know highlights mean nothing but here are a few others prospects I wouldn't mind us taking in Round 1 standing right now.

WR Dwayne Jarret
    WR Calvin Johnson
    WR Sidney Rice
    OT Joe Thomas
    QB Drew Stanton
    QB Brian Brohm
    I don't envision a 2006 scenario where we have to think about drafting a QB or WR in round one. The only one I could think of is if something happens with Bulger and he either gets significantly injured or just doesn't come around to Linehan's system. Wide receiver? I think we're okay there for a while. OT in round one? ...why?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    I don't envision a 2006 scenario where we have to think about drafting a QB or WR in round one.
    You never know. If Smith ends up being a Top prospect and he is there when we pick we could take him. And if Linehan wants a big playmaking reciever like Moss then he'll have plenty to choose from, I'm just thinking of the possibilities.

The only one I could think of is if something happens with Bulger and he either gets significantly injured or just doesn't come around to Linehan's system.
    I think he'll adjust but how will his health hold up? Thats a question for us.

Wide receiver? I think we're okay there for a while.
    Yea, we have Curtis and I don't think McDonald will be a Starter. Holt is going to be 31 soon. We then have Curtis, a 3rd String McDonald and Looker, and Hagans who will be asecret weapon. But Like I said previously Linehan could want a big target like Moss and he'l have Rice, Calvin Johnson and Jarret to choose from. Possibilities.

OT in round one? ...why?
    Aging Pace, Settersorm, Palmer, Incognito, and Terrell are all Guards. We have a young guy in Barron but it wouldn't help to get a future at the other guard.
    RamsFan16

RamJackson39 is offline Registered User

O-Lineman can play a very long time and be effective. Pace is still one of the best OTs in the NFL and will probably be one for a few more years. OT is something that the Rams can wait to address for a few years.
    The Roman and The Prince. Playmakers until the end.

rams_fan81 is offline Registered User

As would I prefer LSU's LaRon Landry, and Texas's Michael Griffin. But I was going with picking In the 20s. From what I believe our success will bring us this year.

In my opinion though there isn't really a best safety in the Top 3 between Meriweather, Griffin and Landry. There all going to be good I believe. I just hope one falls to us.

WR Dwayne Jarret
    WR Calvin Johnson
    WR Sidney Rice
    OT Joe Thomas
    QB Drew Stanton
    QB Brian Brohm

Alternate although wouldn't spend a first on:
    WR Ted Ginn Jr. although he doesn't have a true position. Much like Devin Hester last year. Ginn Jr. is raw but has lighting speed and playmaking ability. Will be the next Dante Hall.

There is a prospect you should watch this year and its RB Tyrone Moss from Miami Hurricanes. He could be a good Change of Pace back to Steven Jackson in the future, and also Lorenzo Booker from Flordia State.

No Teddy doesn't play anywhere but WR and KR he has the ability to play anywhere like Hester but he is a better reciever.

He doesn't have a TRUE position though. I'd prefer someone else, like Calvin Johnson, Sidney Rice, or Dwayne Jarret that are true Recievers.
    RamsFan16

I think he may have played DB like twice in a prevent defense, I don't understand what you mean by true position he is on the depth chart as a WR and KR and all fast college players in college play KR.

Quote Originally Posted by rams_fan81
    I think he may have played DB like twice in a prevent defense, I don't understand what you mean by true position he is on the depth chart as a WR and KR and all fast college players in college play KR.
    Like I previously said. I compared him to Dante Hall.:

Both are bad route runners
    Very raw with bad hands for a reciever

BUT

if they touch the ball they can leave and there big time KR playmakers.

Ginn Jr. is a Dante Hall reciever as I said in my previous posts on him.
    RamsFan16

Ginn had 51 receptions 803 yards for 15 yards per catch holmes a pure wide reciever had 54 receptions.

You never know. If Smith ends up being a Top prospect and he is there when we pick we could take him. And if Linehan wants a big playmaking reciever like Moss then he'll have plenty to choose from, I'm just thinking of the possibilities.
    If Smith ends up being a top prospect he'll go before we pick since you envision us in the 20s. I'm actually rather intrigued by Drew Stanton, but if Linehan is willing to pass on Cutler, I'm not sure why he'd spend a later first round pick on a QB in 2007 unless, again, something happens with Bulger. As for a WR...

Yea, we have Curtis and I don't think McDonald will be a Starter. Holt is going to be 31 soon. We then have Curtis, a 3rd String McDonald and Looker, and Hagans who will be asecret weapon. But Like I said previously Linehan could want a big target like Moss and he'l have Rice, Calvin Johnson and Jarret to choose from. Possibilities.
    You say "Holt is going to be 31 soon" like it's a bad thing. There have been plenty of receivers that were still very effective long after they turned 31. I expect Holt to be one of them. He's shown absolutely no signs of slowing down, is one of the hardest working receivers in the game, and should be playing at a high level for a while to come. Even if he loses some speed when he ages, he has amazing hands and route running skills that will keep him dangerous for years to come.

You didn't mention Bruce at all, but I don't expect him to retire after this season. He signed a three year deal and I expect him to play at least two of them. And when Bruce steps down, Curtis steps up. McDonald then fills in at #3, and we're fine with Holt/Curtis/McDonald which is still a very good receiving corps. If for whatever reason the Rams elect not to resign Curtis after 2006, then we're looking at Holt/Bruce/McDonald for 2007 and that's still a good situation. The only way WR becomes a high priority is if Bruce retires and Curtis leaves after 2006, which I think is an impossible scenario. The Rams won't let Curtis walk if they know Bruce is going to go.

On top of that, I don't think any receiver you mentioned is a senior, so it's impossible to say whether or not they'll even be available in the draft. You can't assume all or even any of them are going to declare early. For all we know the top of the 2007 receiver crop could be occupied by guys like Jeff Samardzija, Paul Williams, and Jason Hill. Not exactly blowing me away in terms of first round caliber.

Aging Pace, Settersorm, Palmer, Incognito, and Terrell are all Guards. We have a young guy in Barron but it wouldn't help to get a future at the other guard.
    Aging Pace? He'll be turning 31 this season. That's hardly over the hill for an offensive lineman. Most of the good ones play into their mid 30s at least, and I wouldn't expect anything less from Pace. Joe Thomas, if he shows no ill effects from his injury last season, will likely be a top 5-10 pick and out of our range according to your projection.

Aside from your safety projection, which I actually agree could be high on the list but am not sold on the player, you seem to be rather focused on the offensive skill positions. Personally I think we're fine there.

Some preliminary positions I'd like to see the Rams look at...

-LB: We're likely out of the Paul Posluszny running unless we have a poor season, but a guy like Patrick Willis or maybe even Earl Everett might be available as good options. I believe both are the kind of players Haslett might like, considering their combination of speed, size, and smarts. Then again, if we're going to be drafting a UoF linebacker any time soon, maybe we can hold out and grab Brandon Siler. Though it's spelled differently, the last name is too familiar for me not to root for the guy.

-G: Justin Blalock is an interestig prospect who some believe project better to guard at the next level, and could step right in as a replacement for Timmerman. Setterstrom and Palmer have potential but realistically are probably longshots in the starter game. Terrell was inconsistent and Incognito is one giant mystery. This position as of right now is hardly secure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast