RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

RamsFan16's Top Needs/Least Needs and who is ideal

This is just me, I'm sure alot of you will have disagreements but, it happens. As of late doesn't look like MANY Needs besides a NT for Run D. But there are. Here we go.

(Based on where we pick, is why I have these players and leave some out.)

1. Defensive Tackle/Nose Tackle
    -Quinn Pitcock
    - Frank Okam
    - Amobi Okoye

2. Strongside Linebacker
    - Patrick Willis
    - Lawrence Timmons
    - Buster Davis

3. Strong Safety
    - LaRon Landry
    - Reggie Nelson
    - Michael Griffin

4. Defensive End
    - Quentin Moses
    - Victor Abiamiri
    - Gaines Adams

5. Offensive Tackle
    - Joe Thomas
    - Levi Brown
    - Sam Baker

Least Needed
    1. Quarterback
    2. Runningback
    3. Tight End
    4. Offensive Guard
    5. Cornerback

RamsFan16

ramsplaya16 is offline Registered User

Re: RamsFan16's Top Needs/Least Needs and who is ideal

Only one thing I disagree on here, DE is a bigger need that safety
    Built RAM tough

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

2. Strongside Linebacker
    - Buster Davis
    I don't think Davis would be a good fit on the strong side for us. For one, he's a horrible height match up should he have to cover a tight end in man to man coverage - most scouting reports have him listed in the 5'9" range. Furthermore one of his biggest criticisms is that he runs around blocks rather than taking them on and really has problems shedding them and getting through traffic. I just don't see him as an option for what we're looking for at that position.

Another question - why strong side linebacker and not middle linebacker? If I recall, you were the one who posted Bernie's snippet about Haslett wanting to move Witherspoon outside. Do you not think that will happen, and if not, why not?

3. Strong Safety
    - LaRon Landry
    - Reggie Nelson
    Depending on how you use them, both of these guys probably could play strong safety. However I think they'd be much better fits at free safety.

4. Defensive End
    - Quentin Moses
    - Victor Abiamiri
    - Gaines Adams
    Why is Adams third on your list? He shouldn't even be on the list if you're leaving off guys who likely won't be available when we pick. Furthermore I think at this point DE is a bigger need than SS and you could probably make a case that it's a bigger need than SLB as well.

5. Offensive Tackle
    - Joe Thomas
    - Levi Brown
    - Sam Baker
    Again, why is Joe Thomas on this list if you're leaving off guys who won't be available? And I'm pretty sure Sam Baker said he was staying in school, though there's a chance that could change.
    Last edited by Nick; -01-01-2007 at 08:16 PM.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

I don't think Davis would be a good fit on the strong side for us. For one, he's a horrible height match up should he have to cover a tight end in man to man coverage - most scouting reports have him listed in the 5'9" range. Furthermore one of his biggest criticisms is that he runs around blocks rather than taking them on and really has problems shedding them and getting through traffic. I just don't see him as an option for what we're looking for at that position.
    Does size really matter that much? What is Ernie Sims? Like 5'10? 5'11"? An look at him, I was thinkin' Dvais is more 5'10" - 5'11" than 5'9". But as long as he makes plays, and if running around defenders gets the job done and gets him to stop the play in the backfield so be it

Another question - why strong side linebacker and not middle linebacker? If I recall, you were the one who posted Bernie's snippet about Haslett wanting to move Witherspoon outside. Do you not think that will happen, and if not, why not?
    I haven't heard anymore of that from Haslett, so I'm assuming, and this is only assuming that he's going to hault that for awhile and see what happens this offseason.

Depending on how you use them, both of these guys probably could play strong safety. However I think they'd be much better fits at free safety.
    What about moving Atogwe to SS then, and drafting one of these three for Free Safety?

Why is Adams third on your list? He shouldn't even be on the list if you're leaving off guys who likely won't be available when we pick. Furthermore I think at this point DE is a bigger need than SS and you could probably make a case that it's a bigger need than SLB as well.
    I was putting them in no particular order, he likely WON'T be, but theres a possibility for him. With teams needs in Top 10 not all that much on Defensive End.

1- Oakland WR/QB
    2- Detroit QB/OL
    3- Cleveland WR/RB/QB
    4- Tampa Bay OL
    5- Arizona OL/RB/DB
    6- Washington DT/CB
    7- Minnesota OL/CB/WR
    8- Houston OL/QB/
    9- Miami QB/OL/WR/DB
    10- Atlanta OL/LB/DB

Again, why is Joe Thomas on this list if you're leaving off guys who won't be available? And I'm pretty sure Sam Baker said he was staying in school, though there's a chance that could change.
    Thomas might be there, he's not a lock for Top 10 IMO, and also sorry, I didn't hear about Sam baker.
    RamsFan16

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16 View Post
    Does size really matter that much? What is Ernie Sims? Like 5'10? 5'11"? An look at him, I was thinkin' Dvais is more 5'10" - 5'11" than 5'9". But as long as he makes plays, and if running around defenders gets the job done and gets him to stop the play in the backfield so be it
    I believe Ernie Sims entered the season playing weak side linebacker for the Lions, and he's on a team coached by a Tampa 2 coordinator who prefers speed in that scheme, so I don't see how he applies to Buster Davis' chances on the strong side for us.

If Buster Davis was close to 5'11" then Florida State would have that listed as his height in his bio, because colleges inflate player measurables all the time. But he's listed as 5'10" on FSU's website, and I have three draft sources that list him as five foot nine and a half inches.

And again, I'm not convinced he's going to make many plays at that height on the strong side when asked to cover a tight end that's maybe half a foot taller than he is or in the running game when one of his biggest weaknesses seems to be getting through traffic to make those plays. Running around defenders IMO means he's overpursuing and possibly taking himself out of the play while allowing blockers to block someone else. Typically not something you want.

What about moving Atogwe to SS then, and drafting one of these three for Free Safety?
    I dunno. Generally, I've not been overly impressed with Atogwe's ability to read and react after the snap to running plays and I think he's inconsistent in terms of taking proper angles to the ballcarrier when defending the run. He also could use work on his tackling mechanics, because I feel at times he tackles much too high and ends up getting shed by runners. If I had to chose I'd feel better about Landry at strong safety, maybe in an Ed Reed-like mold since he shows great instincts and range in coverage but is also effective against the run.

With teams needs in Top 10 not all that much on Defensive End.

1- Oakland WR/QB
    2- Detroit QB/OL
    3- Cleveland WR/RB/QB
    4- Tampa Bay OL
    5- Arizona OL/RB/DB
    6- Washington DT/CB
    7- Minnesota OL/CB/WR
    8- Houston OL/QB/
    9- Miami QB/OL/WR/DB
    10- Atlanta OL/LB/DB
    I disagree - DE is a fairly big need for Tampa, Washington, Miami, and Atlanta. Tampa could very well likely cutting Simeon Rice this offseason and they need players to get to the passer in that Tampa 2 scheme even if they keep Rice. Washington definitely needs help at end because both Wynn and Daniels are aging. Miami needs youth at end and could potentially be looking for a rush OLB for a 3-4 alignment, which Adams could do. And Atlanta could lose 30-year-old Kerney to free agency this offseason, and even if they don't, both he and John Abraham have struggled with injuries this year.

Thomas might be there, he's not a lock for Top 10 IMO, and also sorry, I didn't hear about Sam baker.
    Barring some kind of huge mistake/revelation about him, I would be shocked if Thomas makes it out of the top ten. Conceivably, Oakland, Detroit, Cleveland, Tampa Bay, Arizona, Minnesota, Houston, Miami, and Atlanta could all take him. You yourself even list O-line as needs for seven of the top ten teams, but you think he makes it by all those teams? Unlikely. Even if he does, Buffalo snags him one spot before us.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RedArcher7 is offline Registered User

We already have undersized Linebackers, we don't need another. I disagree with your least needed Guard and Corner. Our line has been playing well as of late, but I have this debate with Nick already, there's no one behind them. While I don't think Guard on the first day is a need I think we should pick one or two up in the later rounds again. Hill is still developing, Brown is a decent corner, but there's a reason New Orleans didn't mind letting him go, and the rest of the corners can't make their way onto the field without getting hurt. Thomas will be in the draft, if not for an injury in the bowl game last year we wouldn't be talking about it and Thomas would be blocking in a Jets uni. Thomas probably won't come out of the top 5, Miami has bigger needs than DE in the first round, but those other teams might not. The Rams first round pick should be a Defensive Tackle or End, unless those 10 teams pick those, in that case we take Brady Quinn the superstar from Notre Dame and win the superbowl for 5 more years.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

In terms of Value and Draft position, you'd have to think Willis willl be best fit.