RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

RamsSB99 Plan C After FA Signings

Defensive Plan:
    If we sign Quintin Mikell to play SS then we only have two defensive positions open that we lost players at that logged the most time there. Those two positions are FS and OLB. I don't want to spend much this year on defense because I think they did great last year. I expect almost all of the defensive players to improve this year with a year under their belt in the system. Most of them are young and should get better. Quintin Mikell is one I don't expect improvement from but he played good last year and if he can come close to that it would be good. FS we can fill Dahls shoes with Sanders Commings and some of the returning players. Devonte Holloman and some of the returning players should be able to replace what we had last year at SLB. Roderick Sweeting would add depth behind our three primary CB's.

Offensive Plan:
    Ryan Swope who is 6'0 205 looks like Amendola catching the ball. Swope is bigger then both Amendola and Givens and had a slightly better 40 time then them 4.34. He can lineup outside or in the slot and would be a good replacement for Amendola. DeAndre Hopkins 18 TDs 82 catches 17.1 avg yards per catch this year. He was very productive and should be able to be very productive early. He would be a good replacement for Brandon Gisbon. Tavon Austin ultimate return man and can be used in multiple ways. We didn't have a guy like Austin last year he adds a different dimension. Our OL is much improved with Long at LT and Rok back from injury. If the core can stay healthy it will be much improved. However last year we had a lot of injuries on the OL. How much injury free quality football is left in Wells is questionable. Saffold (free agent) and Dahl (age/play/possible cut) might be gone after this year. That means next year you could have as many as three OL that need replaced that is if Rok proves he is starter material which he has not yet. That is where Cooper comes in who projects to be a very good G or C for years to come. He could start and also protects the OL against Wells injury, Rok not cutting at G, or injury along the OL. The RBs have two guys that will see a lot of touches for sure this year in Pead and Richardson. I also would like to see what Ganaway has to offer because I think there is some potential there as well. That is why a late round RB like Cierre Wood 6'0 215 averaged 6.7 ypc would be a good fit. I would hate to draft a RB to early and he not get many touches or takes touches away from other backs that are just as capable. The TE's added Cook who is like adding anoter tall 6'5 WR. If we want speed or speed and size we can do that with our WR's. If we want to go tall we can lineup Quick, Cook, and Kendricks. In other words TE was upgraded with Cook and they are good.

Some may say that three WR's is alot to take in the draft but we did lose 3 WRs. Not all of the WR's will pan out or come along right away and we need offensive weapons now. I believe all three of them can contribute right early.

Sign
    Quintin Mikell 5’10 205 31

Draft
    1 (16) Tavon Austin WR 5'9 175 4.34 40
    1 (22) Jonathan Cooper G/C 6'3 315 35 bench
    2 DeAndre Hopkins WR 6'1 215 18 TDs 82 catches 17.1 avg yards per catch
    3 Ryan Swope WR 6'0 205 4.34 40
    4 DeVonte Holloman OLB 6'2 245
    5 Sanders Commings FS 6'0 220 4.41 40
    6 Cierre Wood 6'0 RB 215 6.7 ypc
    7 Roderick Sweeting CB 5'11 190 4.42 40 (This was in AV's and I liked it)

Offense: (25)
    (10)
    QB (2) – Sam Bradford 6’4 230 24, Austin Davis 6'2 220 23
    RB (3) –Isaiah Pead 5'10 200 4.41 40, Daryl Richardson 5'11 200 4.38 40, Cierre Wood 6'0 RB 215 6.7 ypc
    FB (1) –Terrance Ganaway 6'1 240 24 4.55
    TE1 (4) – Jared Cook 6'5 250 25 4.49 40, Cory Harkey 6'4 260 22
    TE2 - Lance Kendricks 6’3 250 25 4.50 40, Matthew Mulligan 6'4 265 27

(6)
    WR1 – Chris Givens 5'11 200 4.35 40, Austin Pettis 6’2 210 4.6 40
    WR2 - Brian Quick 6'4 220, DeAndre Hopkins 6'1 215
    WR3 - Tavon Austin 5'9 175 4.34 40, Ryan Swope 6'0 205 4.34 40

(9)
    LT – Jake Long 6'7 320 28, Joe Barksdale 6'5 330 24
    LG– Jonathan Cooper 6'3 315, Rokevious Watkins 6'4 340
    C – Scott Wells 6'2 300 32
    RG– Harvey Dahl, Shelley Smith 6'4 305 25
    RT - Rodger Saffold 6’5 325 23, Joe Barksdale 6'5 330 24

Defense: (25)
    DL (9)
    DE(4) – Chris Long 6'3 275 27, Eugene Sims 6'6 250 26
    DT(5) –Kendall Langford 6'6 295 26, Jermelle Cudjo 6'2 310 25
    DT- Michael Brockers 6'5 325, Matt Conrath 6'7 290 (23), FA
    DE – Robert Quinn 6’4 270 4.57 40 21, William Hayes 6'3 275 27

LB (6)
    SLB– DeVonte Holloman 6'2 245, FA
    MLB– James Laurinatis 6’2 245 25, Josh Hull 6'3 240 24
    WLB–Jo-Lonn Dunbar 6'0 230 27, Sammy Brown 6'2 245 22

DB (5)
    LCB – Cortland Finnegan 5'10 188 28
    RCB – Janoris Jenkins 5-10 195, FA
    NCB- Trumaine Johnson 6'2 205, Roderick Sweeting 5'11 190 4.42 40

S(5)
    FS – Sanders Commings 6'0 220 4.41 40, Rodney McLeod 5'11 185 22, Quinton Pointer 5'9 195 24
    SS – Quintin Mikell 5’10 205 31, Darian Stewart 5’11 215 23, Matt Daniels 6'1 210 22

Special Teams (3)
    P- Johnny Hekker 6'6 230
    K- Zuerlein Greg 6'0 190
    LS – Jake McQuaide 6'2 247 24
    KR/PR- Tavon Austin 5'8 175

Last edited by RamsSB99; -03-22-2013 at 01:20 AM.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Re: RamsSB99 Plan C After FA Signings

Outside of the first 3, I don't like it. Plus, I guarantee you Hopkins won't be there for our 2nd round pick, so there is that too.

Not a fan of Swope. He is a slot receiver and doesn't play anywhere near 4.3 speed. Where do we find time for him, Austin, and Cook when all 3 play slot?

Sweeting and Wood are whatever. Wood isn't the worst, but I think I could find someone I like more or just not even go after the RB position.

Waiting for the 5th to take a S (even though we re-sign Q) not a fan. And to me Sanders is more of a CB.

I could live with Holloman, but I've got other LB's I like at that spot.

If we could pull of the first 2 rounds I'd love it, but like I said, Hopkins won't be there.

THE DREAM TEAM

RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Outside of the first 3, I don't like it. Plus, I guarantee you Hopkins won't be there for our 2nd round pick, so there is that too.
    Bad day:>( Glad to know you have a crystal ball.

Not a fan of Swope. He is a slot receiver and doesn't play anywhere near 4.3 speed. Where do we find time for him, Austin, and Cook when all 3 play slot?
    I think Austin is a very good WR and can be used in multiple ways including returning punts/kicks. Swope does have speed and he can play outside as well.

Sweeting and Wood are whatever. Wood isn't the worst, but I think I could find someone I like more or just not even go after the RB position.
    You must really be having a bad day are you always this negative.

Waiting for the 5th to take a S (even though we re-sign Q) not a fan. And to me Sanders is more of a CB.
    I am starting to think that there might be a slight chance that this mock is not to your liking.

I could live with Holloman, but I've got other LB's I like at that spot.
    It is all about you. Sorry if you dont like it I didn't make it to please you.
    Last edited by RamsSB99; -03-22-2013 at 12:42 AM.

RamBamThankYouMam is offline Registered User

I am not a huge fan of this draft either. Not to say there aren't good picks, but the Rams have many needs other than WR. The receiving core is an area of concern, but it seems like drafting 3 is over doing it. Your first round is very good for the team's needs. Two of the Rams biggest needs are a WR and a G. I am a little worried that Cooper won't make it to 22, but if he does this is a great pick. Like sosa, I am also skeptical that Hopkins will make it that far into the 2nd round, but if he does I wouldn't mind grabbing him there.

After that though, the Rams needs to focus on their defense. While it is likely that the Rams will try an re-sign Mikell after missing out on Delmas, there is no guarantee that he will be re-signed. Even if he is, the Rams should still draft a safety with their 3rd or 4th pick. Just because the defense will improve doesn't mean the Rams should take their foot off the gas in terms of continuing to improve a much improved defense.

I feel, and this is just an opinion of mine, that while the Rams do need to improve their offense, spending 3 high picks on WRs is not a good idea. As Avenger showed in another thread, it is rare that WRs come in and produce in their first year. I don't think it is a great idea to count on any of those receivers to come in and make an impact right away. The Rams still have many needs to fill and have the picks to do it this year. I think the two first round picks should be geared towards the offense. The 3rd and 4th picks should be a safety and linebacker, and after that whatever the front office deems important. That is just my thoughts though.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsSB99 View Post
    Bad day:>( Glad to know you have a crystal ball.

I think Austin is a very good WR and can be used in multiple ways including returning punts/kicks. Swope does have speed and he can play outside as well.

You must really be having a bad day are you always this negative.

I am starting to think that there might be a slight chance that this mock is not to your liking.

It is all about you. Sorry if you dont like it I didn't make it to please you.
    It's my opinion... You posted your draft here to get critiqued, and to me I just don't like it. I appreciate the effort. Maybe others will love it, I don't know. I'm just confused with some picks, and have my own "sleepers" that I'd like to consider.

THE DREAM TEAM

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Maybe you should have used the royal "We" as opposed to "I"... Personally, "We" can't remember a team that ever had four years of total NFL experience at the WR position before. That seems like it's begging to fail, no matter what the talent level is.

Also, "We" think that it's foolish to use a second round pick on a 4th receiver when you have holes in many other places around the team, like a starting safety spot. This counts as either last year's 2nd or this... Similarly strange to use then a 3rd round pick for a 5th/6th reciever... just how many reps do you think that these guys get? We're not running 5 WR sets out there...

Lastly, "We've" made mention about counting on getting a quality starter in the 4th round two years in a row being like winning a scratch off, and you suggest that we could get starters in the 4th and 5th rounds this year. Perhaps Swope can play Safety?
    I believe!

BarronWade is offline Registered User

You know what I like this draft because its different as the draft nears all mocks look the same to me this one is different...You got some negative feedback on Hopkins but truth is I think the spot you have him in the second is perfect he is one of those Jack-of-all trades master of none he is not a #1 but a perfect complementary #2

The only thing that is a bit questionable is the quantity of WRs taken (not quality) I think its unlikely that we take 3 wrs knowing we have 3 young wrs on the team but the guys you picked certainly have talent...