Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Randy K: Dorsey was never going to be the pick

Posted by Randy Karraker on another Rams board...

A high ranking official at Rams Park claims that the Rams were never going to take Dorsey, that after Jake Long signed with Miami..Chris Long was going to be the pick.

The Rams (wisely, in my opinion) put out word that Dorsey was the guy. However, they got word that Dorsey had to play every game last year after taking painkillers. The Rams were convinced that Atlanta was enamored of Dorsey, and thought they could get the Falcons to cough up #3 and a second rounder...and the Rams would still get Long. They turned down the Ravens offer and called Atlanta to tell them Baltimore had offered, but Atlanta didn't bite. The Rams didn't want to move all the way down and lose a chance at C. Long.

Bottom line...it was always going to be Jake Long or Chris Long. After about two weeks before the draft, Dorsey was never really an option for the Rams.
    So according to Randy, as many suspected, Dorsey was the elaborate smokescreen. The information about having to take painkillers last season is new, though. I've read reports where Dorsey had to take them in 2006 after the injury happened, but if it's true that he needed them in 2007 as well, it would seem to me that would further indicate a lingering injury that still needs to be taken care of. This might also be the answer to Hub's question about Linehan's "BS" statement.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Re: Randy K: Dorsey was never going to be the pick

Well I couldve told you that.

Nick, I'm glad we stayed on the Long bandwagon.

chiguy is offline Registered User

I've long felt like Bernie had been suckered in by the Rams about the Dorsey thing.

harrydog is offline Registered User

How do we know this is true any more than what we were hearing before the draft? The truth doesn't necessarily come out after the fact. Why would the Rams want to say anything other than Long was their guy all along? It would be counter productive to say otherwise.
    We knew that Dorsey was playing every game with pain weeks ago.
    It's all a moot point anyway. We got Long and he's going to be the main key to improving our defense, just as Dorsey or Gholston would have been. I think most of us here are happy with the pick. Hopefully he's going to be as good as everyone's expectations. I'm thinking he will because I try to be an optimist.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by harrydog View Post
    How do we know this is true any more than what we were hearing before the draft? The truth doesn't necessarily come out after the fact. Why would the Rams want to say anything other than Long was their guy all along? It would be counter productive to say otherwise.
    It's all a moot point anyway. We got Long and he's going to be the main key to improving our defense, just as Dorsey or Gholston would have been. I think most of us here are happy with the pick. Hopefully he's going to be as good as everyone's expectations. I'm thinking he will because I try to be an optimist.
    Or in the "Long" run, it really doesn't matter. Chris Long is the pick, he's our date to the Prom. Let's dance.

rammiser is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by chiguy View Post
    I've long felt like Bernie had been suckered in by the Rams about the Dorsey thing.
    No way the Rams front office would never lie to Krispy Kreme Bernie.

Quote Originally Posted by harrydog

I think it's true because BOTH players were there and we chose Long I'd say it was Long all aLong. I'm sure there was debate but we were trying to bait the AtL or someone who wanted Dorsey to trade up to get him. We chose Long we were Longing for Long and we went Long.
    Just Fix It

TekeRam is offline Registered User

The fact that we could have gotten a ransom from Baltimore but were trying to get Atlanta to trade up is proof that it was Chris Long the whole time. We knew he wouldn't be there at #8, and more importantly, the only elite player left would be Ellis(turns out not even him). So, if we did take the trade we'd have a second tier player, either Derrick Harvey or Ryan Clady or Branden Albert. If we took one of the latter two, we'd need to get a DE in the 2nd and that would jeopardize the chances of getting Avery.

And so, we did our best to try to pick up a pick to move down one slot to #3, but Atlanta knew we wouldn't take their guy, Ryan, and so they wouldn't budge. As such, we do what's best for the team and we take our man, Chris Long, and get an impact run stopper and pass rusher on the outside.

I also find it highly amusing that both the Rams and Atlanta used Dorsey as a smokescreen!

Well, nothing matters now. We chose Chris Long, however where are you guys getting all this information that Dorsey was nothing more than a smoke screen? He may have been the best DT to come out of college this decade. Won every defensive player award last year. Even got a few for the Heisman. He was legitimately high on the Rams draft board. It came down to need, not any "smoke screen". He wasn't a pawn in the draft board trust me. He was seriously considered because a talent like Dorsey could help this porous defense. We don't have as much "talent" as most of you think on that side of the ball. It's either getting old or it isn't living up to it's potential. Dorsey would have been a great addition to this defense, just like Chris Long will.

TNT is Drama. Glenn Dorsey high on our draft board wasn't drama it was fact and if Dorsey wasn't high on our draft board I would expect Delaney to be fired immediately.

This is one of the main reasons why I hate the draft. I usually listen or read what Randy K has to say but this just smells to me, my opinion only, that he's just making up something from all the pieces of the draft puzzle.

However, who cares now. We have Chris Long. He's going to be fine in his position.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by tx
    where are you guys getting all this information that Dorsey was nothing more than a smoke screen?
    Well, tx, maybe it's just semantics, but I'd say the fact that neither the Rams nor the Cons drafted him, makes Dorsey (even if technically) a smokescreen. Same as Long would be a smokescreen if we took Dorsey. It's not a comment on the player's ability or potential, but just the directed intention of the organization.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by chiguy View Post
    Yep me too. I fully expect Bernie and everyone else who got fooled into thinking Dorsey was the pick (who was that other writer who claimed "We pick Dorsey, it's 100% sure" shortly before the draft, anyone remember?) will continue to viciously attack anyone who claims it was a smokescreen since it makes them look gullible. It's ok to admit a mistake people, it only means the smokescreen was well set up.

I personally believe we did the right thing with the 2nd pick - tried a smokescreen to get another pick or two, refused to trade down so far we couldn't get Long and finally when we couldn't pull off a trade just picked our #1 target Chris Long. We couldn't really lose anything by trying to trade down 1 spot. Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by RamOfDenmark View Post
    Yep me too. I fully expect Bernie and everyone else who got fooled into thinking Dorsey was the pick (who was that other writer who claimed "We pick Dorsey, it's 100% sure" shortly before the draft, anyone remember?) will continue to viciously attack anyone who claims it was a smokescreen since it makes them look gullible. It's ok to admit a mistake people, it only means the smokescreen was well set up.

I personally believe we did the right thing with the 2nd pick - tried a smokescreen to get another pick or two, refused to trade down so far we couldn't get Long and finally when we couldn't pull off a trade just picked our #1 target Chris Long. We couldn't really lose anything by trying to trade down 1 spot. Well done.

Some of you guys make me shake my head and realize that you probably don't watch alot of college football. If you did, you would realize that there were more holes on this team than just DE and that Dorsey was the best DT to come out of college THIS DECADE.

Again, if Randy K is right we should fire everyone in the front office because to only evaluate Dorsey as a smokescreen tells me that they have no earthly idea how to evaluate talent.

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Some of you guys make me shake my head and realize that you probably don't watch alot of college football. If you did, you would realize that there were more holes on this team than just DE and that Dorsey was the best DT to come out of college THIS DECADE.
    So if we don't agree with your take, we obviously just didn't watch much college football? Come on, tx.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    So if we don't agree with your take, we obviously just didn't watch much college football? Come on, tx.

I'm soooooooo misunderstood. Nick, what I was trying to say was that if the Rams only used Dorsey as a smokescreen then I feel like something is terribly wrong in the talent evaluation department.

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    I'm soooooooo misunderstood. Nick, what I was trying to say was that if the Rams only used Dorsey as a smokescreen then I feel like something is terribly wrong in the talent evaluation department.
    I see what you're saying now. I would hope they took a serious look at him as well and based their decision on all of the factors.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast