Re: Rank the Rams' Needs

1. Wide Receiver
    2. 4-3 Pass Rusher
    3. RB
    4. Offensive Guard
    5. OLB
    6. Strong Safety
    7. CB (depth)

- I think #1 and #2 are way ahead of the others.
    - I could be convinced to switch #3 and #4.
    - OLB is not higher for me as it is one of the least important positions on the field in a 4-3.
    - CB depth is last because I feel that Bartell, Fletcher, and Murphy are a good top 3. Another CB would be nice but I feel the other holes have to come before CB #4

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

Just want to clarify this what I consider our biggest needs and not necessarily the order I think we should draft.

1. OLB
    - The only position in my opinion where we don't even have one "name" starter. I mean Chamberlin, Grant, Vobora, Kehl, Diggs are all ok players that Spags has coached up to good. We need to get him some good to great or great to elite projects to go with JL. Our ability to cover within 10 yards of the line is suspect to me. If other teams tried to dink and dunk us, like we do, I think it would kill us.

2. Back up RB - I hate using the term back up because I think this player needs to be a steady part of our offense. A change of pace back that I think would fit better with our more mobile than big offensive line. Trust me I love Jackson and he is still the man but I also think no player would benefit more from the help. Jackson will hit his 6th straight season of 1,000 yards this year but he is having to work way too hard to get there. Taking away a few of his carries I believe in the long run will increase his productivity.

3. WR - Third on my list but could still be #1 in the draft is WR. If DX stays healthy and we are looking at Clayton, Avery, Amendola, Alexander and an improving Gibson I am feeling more and more comfortable with this.

4. OG - It's just time to improve on Goldberg. If Greco can't get past him in practice I just think it's time we upgrade completely.

5. SS
    - I love Dahl but believe he has probably peaked. Would love to see someone more of Atogwe's caliber across from OJ.

6. 4-3 Pass rusher - I know this is way lower than most poster's list but the reason is Long. Hall and Ah You have combined for 11.5 sacks. I don't think it is because Hall has returned to his old form from several years ago or that Ah You is good but I think the pressure Long is bringing is helping them out. Yes Hall is getting up there but I think Selvie maybe able to fill his spot.

7. CB
    - Fletcher and Murphy will develop just fine with Bartell to make this position solid for several years.

JMHO
    Last edited by Rambunctious; -12-11-2010 at 05:33 PM.

thatguy is offline Registered User

1.WR
    2.DT
    3.OG
    4.RB
    5.CB
    6.SS
    7.OLB

The top 4 besides RB I think should be addressed through the draft. I would have put CB much higher if the current secondary wasn't so young so I'm willing to wait another season before I would rank CB higher.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    I dont understand why safety is ranked so low on many peoples list.
    I'd say a big reason is that SS is generally not a premium position in the draft. Many top safeties were day 2 selections.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

1. WR - No questions asked our most glaring need. We need a #1 WR who can run the whole route tree and get constant seperation. I'd be all for trading up for A.J Green, and if not we can settle for Justin Blackmon.

2. OLB - Our run stop is up and down. Some games we do good and others horrific. Seems to me that speedy backs generally have a good day against us.

3. OG - Goldberg is constantly getting bullied out there. Matter of fact I remember a run during yesterdays game where Steven had to hurdle over Goldberg who was on the ground for a solid 10 yard gain.

4. Pass Rusher - We need a replacement for James Hall. He is doing good but is really old. We need another good DE to play opposite of Chris Long.

5. RB - Kenneth Darby and Keith Toston aren't bad runners. They really didn't get any chances yet. Toston finished the game yesterday and looked great (4 carries 22 yards I believe). Also Kenneth Darby is quick and has had his moments.

6. SS - Craig Dahl has really stepped up his game recently. I dont think replacing him is essential; he is also the teams best tackler...or a toss up between him or Laurinaitis.

7. CB Depth - We are pretty set here.

punahou is offline Registered User

3.Offensive Guard
    1.Wide Receiver
    4. Running Back (back-up/future starter)
    6. 4-3 Pass Rusher (DE or DT)
    2.Outside LB
    6.Cornerback (depth)-- havent we drafted 238 of these that last 2 drafts?
    5.Strong Safety

Ironmaidenram is offline Registered User

1. Wide Receiver
    2.OLB
    3.DT
    4.CB
    5.RB
    6.Back-up QB
    7.Pass Rusher with a Mean streak

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

My priorities at this juncture:

1. Wide Receiver. This need has been a constant for us in wins and losses, in sickness and in health.

2. Pass Rusher. You might look at the number of sacks we've had this season and think it isn't a problem, but don't forget that both Robbins and Hall will turn 34 this off-season. If we want to keep getting better on defense, we have to have an eye toward the future.

3. Cornerback. Bartell and Fletcher are not a terrible starting tandem, but Dockery and King make me a little nervous when they're on the field.

4. Runningback. We're putting a lot of wear on Jackson's tires.

5. Offensive Guard. Goldberg is a great utility man able to play numerous positions along the line, but I'm not convinced we want him to continue to start at right guard.

6. Pass Rusher. Can't have too many of them.

7. Outside Linebacker/Safety. Our outside linebackers aren't big names, but Spags and Flajole seem fine with having journeymen fill those spots. Still an area where we lack talent, but not a dire need. At safety, Atogwe is an above average player at the position, and Dahl and Butler might well be able to find starting gigs elsewhere. We could use an upgrade, but the position is not exactly a gaping hole in the lineup.

MikeB1603 is offline Registered User

I'm assuming this is meant for the entire offseason and not just the draft.

Outside LB - I believe this to be top priority as both OLB positions need improvement.

Offensive Guard - Watching other teams run the ball consistently up the middle for 4-5 yards and sometimes even break one for a big gain is baffling to me as I can count on both hands how many times that has happened all year for the Rams. Need a guy to create some gaps to run through.

Running Back (back-up/future starter) - Jackson still has skills although he may be losing a step gradually coming next year, but his skill set is not fitting with our current offense.

Wide Receiver - Until recently I would say this is the top priority. However with both Clayton and Avery returning next year, Gibson and Alexander emerging as playmakers, and Amendola's consistency, it seems there might not be an odd man out for a new man to enter. A big name like Steve Smith could do wonders for this offense though.

4-3 Pass Rusher (DE or DT) - Hall still has some left in the tank and Selvie/Ah You are good complimentary linemen. But there needs to be a force other than Long rushing the QB in the coming years.

Cornerback (depth) - Dockery is picked on by every offense we face.

Strong Safety - Could be addressed this offseason... or next

Ramendola16 is offline Registered User

My list probably goes against what most people say, but here it is anyway.

1. Offensive Guard - I'm tired of it. I'm tired of seeing SJ39 get the ball and immediately get hit by his own lineman who is being driven back by a superior DT. I'm tired of Sam's pocket being collapsed because the DT is getting a push. I'm tired of getting stuffed on 3rd and 2. We need an OG, and we need one bad.

2. Outside Linebacker - Here's the deal. I love Vabora and Kehl. I especially like Vabora's story. (Mr. Irrelevant 2008, anyone?) However, we need some stability to move forward with. Grab a stud OLB to compliment our stud MLB and watch the defense succeed.

3. Wide Receiver
    - Here's why I'm not as high on a gamebreaker as I should be: Brandon Gibson and DX have begun to show up in a big way. Did you know that Gibson has almost 600 yards in 13 games? Nothing great, but stability for sure. I'm perfectly fine with moving forward with Clayton, Avery, DX, Dandy Ramendola, Gibson, and maybe Gilyard. Do we need one? Yes, and we will probably grab one. But I don't believe it warrants a 1st or 2nd round pick.

4. Defensive Tackle
    - This year should have everyone noticing what a huge impact a good DT has on a defense. Fred Robbins is playing some excellent ball, and the whole defense is benefiting. Gary Gibson looks like a good player that we can move forward with, but a 4-3 takes two tackles. Clifton Ryan looked like he might have been a solid player, but migraines can be a tough injury to deal with. If we can grab a good DT to eventually replace Robbins, we'll be happy we did.

5. Back-up RB (Speedy) - I appear to be one of the few people left who believe that Steven hasn't lost a step. He's good in open space and outruns linebackers. Our O-line makes him look worse than he really is. With that said, I don't think we need to address it... This year. Steven wants the workload, and I believe we should continue to feed him the rock. We will need a good RB eventually, but we shouldn't focus on it yet. Maybe a year or two down the road one pops up, but trust me when I say RB is the least of our worries.

I believe our draft order will go as follows:

1. OLB - If we want a good one, we have to reach early.
    2. OG - We proved this year that the best O-lineman can be found in round 2. I'm betting we can do it again.
    3. WR - We have to go for one eventually.
    4. DT - Too early, perhaps?
    5. DE - We take another because Spags loves depth.
    Last edited by Ramendola16; -12-27-2010 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Forgetting Stat

thermobee is offline Registered User

4 Offensive Guard
    1 Wide Receiver
    3 Running Back (back-up/future starter)
    2 4-3 Pass Rusher (DE or DT)
    5 Outside LB
    7 Cornerback (depth)
    6 Strong Safety

LongBlood is offline Registered User

#1 WR
    #2 OLB
    #3 CB
    #4 defensive consultant on how to play D on 3rd and long
    #5 OL
    #6 additional pass rusher
    #7 figure out a way to trade a 2nd or 3rd round pick for an additional 1st rounder in 2013 draft to use on Marcus Lattimore

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Is this NEED or a rank of draft priority? I'll go with NEED and mention draft rank priority.

1. WR They can't NOT get a WR added to this team plus Clayton is a free agent. I think this will be addressed via free agency by resigning Clayton and getting a veteran WR. The Rams went offense with their first 2 rounds last year and 4 out of the first 5 picks. That's not going to happen again.

2. OLB This will be addressed with the draft if the value is there. The Rams defense would benefit the most from an elite OLB to play with Laurinaitis. Diggs can solidify a position when he comes back but they need a star.

3. Backup RB - speedster taken later in the draft. Backup RB and special teams player who can turn a screen pass into a 30 yard gain or break off a touchdown on a kickoff.

4. Offensive Guard - The RG position needs to be locked down without breaking the bank. Remember, if Saffold hadn't worked at OT, he was going to RG so they recognize a need.

5. Strong Safety - they need an upgrade. Bad

6. DE / DT At DE I like Selvie as a part time player across from Long but they still need a speed rusher (bring back Ah You?). At DT they need an upgrade but if Robbins can come back at 100%, it's not an immediate requirement. Alan Branch is a free agent (hint). Taking 3 DEs in the draft last year, I don't see them drafting another this year.

As for CB, I think they have the starting 3. Bartell, Fletcher and Murphy. I'm not ruling out Johnson from coming back and making this roster as a #4 CB.

The Rams aren't good enough to say "We'll take a WR in the first round". They MUST draft the best talent and build around them, not draft to fill a hole.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by LongBlood View Post
    #1 WR
    #2 OLB
    #3 CB
    #4 defensive consultant on how to play D on 3rd and long
    #5 OL
    #6 additional pass rusher
    #7 figure out a way to trade a 2nd or 3rd round pick for an additional 1st rounder in 2013 draft to use on Marcus Lattimore
    Weren't you the one who whined and bickered about Spags and Devaney's ability to manage an NFL team only to stay a Chargers fan until an NFL team moves to LA?

Rammed is offline Registered User

1)Running Back (back-up/future starter)
    2)Outside LB
    3)Offensive Guard
    4)Strong Safety
    5)4-3 Pass Rusher (DE or DT)
    6)Wide Receiver
    7)Cornerback (depth)

I really don't get the addition of another young WR outside the stud in this draft. Rather have some veteran help and address other area's. I would like to add the future starter rather then a back up on RB.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast