Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    keith m. klink Guest

Re: A rant about drafting based on past failures

Nick, again, great topic, and great points made. these are the kind of discussions we are here for, and HUbison brings to the table a great look at things also. even though history, or recent history has thrown some bombs our way , you have to keep trying. and it really has no bearing what so ever of the past draft of another coach and his crew on what this coachdoes and his draft philosify. this is apples and oranges as far as i'm concerned. the new coach will have it in the back of his head, just because the management will tell him so, but it's his draft, and his team. and so far, i like most everything he is doing. so if DT is the pick, then i'll trust the coachs judgement on this call. he's the pro, not me.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Busts happen all the time. It's why betting on college athletics is like playing russian roulette. These guys are maybe, maybe 22. I can remember when I was 22, if someone gave me a 6 million dollar signing bonus LOOK OUT.

Its tough to judge how someone is going to turn out. You base your views on film and combine results and see what happens. When DLew was in college, he was a monster on the field. It just didn't translate to the NFL. Same with Trung Canidate. Awesome college RB, not a good pro RB.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    The Rams did not make a mistake with Pickett by drafting him. They made the mistake by letting him go.
    I think GC just fell in love.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

general counsel is offline Registered User

injuries are such a huge part of the game. Lewis was never really right physically, he had one injury after another. I dont believe for one second that prior poor luck at drafting a defensive tackle means that we should stay away from picking another one. Keep in mind that schemes change. Lovie wanted lewis, not stroud, it fit his system better. Pickett was an excellent pick at that part of the first round and he did well for us, we let him walk just as he hit his prime and we are now looking to draft EXACTLY what we let go in pickett, a run stuffing nose tackle.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

marccat is offline Registered User

Our philosophy had been, fast ,1st step quick regardless of size. And IMO we paid a price for not being as flexable as we could've been. The effort put into the mindset and intangables of these kids is just so thorough and unending, that to find one without questionmarks is unheard of. So,... 2nd time out for coach Linehan and co., and I for 1 like whats been cookin' in the Rams camp. I'm confident our picks will have the heart and tripas to make a difference for our Rams! Team player's is the big onus!! I say the past is fine right where it is and it won't mess with my hopes or the teams. Feel it?

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Bottom line is this, if I draft 3 DTs in the first round and none of them work out, then maybe I don't know what the bleep I'm doing. After wasting millions of the teams money and taking 4 years to come to the conclusion that maybe I'm not good at drafting DTs, I am left with just 2 options.

Option 1- Get my @ss out of the draft room and let somebody else be the expert or...

Option 2-draft a player at a position I might know something about.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Originally Posted by Rambos
    The Rams did not make a mistake with Pickett by drafting him. They made the mistake by letting him go.

I think GC just fell in love.
    I will say this GC may have known this when we let him go. I did not know how good he was until last yearwas over.

GC had this one right IMO.

JRoc is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    Bottom line is this, if I draft 3 DTs in the first round and none of them work out, then maybe I don't know what the bleep I'm doing. After wasting millions of the teams money and taking 4 years to come to the conclusion that maybe I'm not good at drafting DTs, I am left with just 2 options.

Option 1- Get my @ss out of the draft room and let somebody else be the expert or...

If that's what you're worried about then remember than those DTs to which you refer were drafted in the Martz era. Perhaps Linehan will be able to get it right.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post

Looks like the Rams went with option 1 about a year ago. Will Wroten (the first DT selected by the new admin.) work out? Yet to see. However, knowing his track record in the draft, I feel pretty good having Softli in charge.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12