Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Brain Daddy is offline Registered User

Ravens not expected to franchise Thomas

The Ravens are not expected to use the franchise tag on All-Pro linebacker Adalius Thomas, although the team will wait until tomorrow before making a final decision.

The sides are talking about a long-term contract for Thomas, and the Ravens could be using the threat of the tag to get a deal done.

The deadline to use the tag is tomorrow. By using the tag for 2007, the Ravens can keep Thomas from becoming a free agent by paying him $7.2 million, which is the average of the five highest-paid linebackers in the league.

If they don't use it, Thomas would become an unrestricted free agent on March 2.

The Ravens are unlikely to use the tag because they lack significant salary-cap room and don't like the animosity it creates between the player and the team. He is the only starter from the NFL's top-ranked defense that can become an unrestricted free agent.

Baltimore Sun
    They have until 4 PM today to tag him. Hopefully they won't and almost as soon as the deadline passes, talks break down and Thomas becomes a FA March 2nd.

I didn't buy him as a quarterback. He's just so stiff, especially when he drops back to pass. Really stiff. He reminds me of Kurt Warner.
    -- Kevan Barlow on Adam Sandler's performance in The Longest Yard

Country is offline Registered User

Re: Ravens not expected to franchise Thomas

He is priority number 1, he is the best player on defense in free agency left and would be great as a SLB and 3rd down DE.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

I wonder how much money the FO is prepared to offer him.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

81~BIG-GAME is offline Registered User

He will command some serious $$$$$$..:l

Brain Daddy is offline Registered User

Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome, who is busy attending competition committee meetings as well as helping oversee the team's NFL Scouting Combine efforts here in Indianapolis, said this morning that the Ravens will have an announcement today, possibly about Thomas.

Baltimore Sun
    They've got 4 hours left if they want to tag him. C'mon, just stall a little longer...

I didn't buy him as a quarterback. He's just so stiff, especially when he drops back to pass. Really stiff. He reminds me of Kurt Warner.
    -- Kevan Barlow on Adam Sandler's performance in The Longest Yard

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

I really don't see us making a big push for him after having already devoted a lot of money recently to two other linebackers. I hope people don't get their hopes up.

general counsel is offline Registered User

I view signing this guy as a longshot of epic magnitude. As nick says, we have already invested plenty of money in linebackers. I cant see shooting our load cap wise on a position that is not in the top 2 of our biggest needs on defense. It just doesnt make sense to me. I also think this guy is going to command at least 20 million guaranteed. I say that because he is going to get more than peterson got from seattle last year if for no other reason than that the cap has gone up again.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

BUT.... the guy can play multiple positions which IMO makes him even more attractive.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

jquarando is offline Registered User

Just announced on the baltimore sun website that the ravens will let thomas hit the free agent market. I didnt realize he was 29. Thats kinda old but still pretty good like leonard.
    Last edited by jquarando; -02-22-2007 at 03:37 PM.

ENN107 is offline Registered User

We have the bank to sign him and he will earn every dime.

BigDaddyPace is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I really don't see us making a big push for him after having already devoted a lot of money recently to two other linebackers. I hope people don't get their hopes up.
    Well hell, we better do something with the money we have. My god we had the 10th most salary cap room in the league and thats before the apparent departure of Timmerman and Curtis. We are definitely not strapped for cash. What is the FO saving there $ for, a trip to Branson? Give me a break. Go get this guy, give him the money he wants, put him in spiral horns next year, or people need to stop going to the games. This isn't KC, were not going to be fooled into letting you spend just enough money to fill up the dome. This is St. Louis, the GSOT spoiled us, and we expect championships. End of story.

Country is offline Registered User

The Rams have to make some moves and THomas is the best available.

Bring him in as a SLB ion 1st and 2nd down and then have him play RE on 3rd down.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Guys, Thomas will be wearing crimson next year. The whiners have mad money to spend, and Thomas looks like the guy to spend it on. My only hope is that other teams keep pushing the bottomline on Thomas higher and higher to eat up a big chunk of cap space for whichever team does sign him.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Guys, Thomas will be wearing crimson next year. The whiners have mad money to spend, and Thomas looks like the guy to spend it on. My only hope is that other teams keep pushing the bottomline on Thomas higher and higher to eat up a big chunk of cap space for whichever team does sign him.
    Agreed. Also consider the coaching connection. Head coach Mike Nolan was the defensive coordinator at Baltimore from 2001-2004. They also have Mike Singletary on their staff, who served as the LB coach in Baltimore from 2003-2004. The ***** have money to spend, need another OLB for their 3-4 D, and have strong previous connections to Thomas. That looks like the most likely destination to me.

chiguy is online now Registered User

Just for my own clarification -- this guy is not a full time DE, right? I've had a Baltimore fan argue with me about it, saying he's big enough to play RDE and that the Rams are stupid if they don't go after him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast