throwback week

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Vinnie25

Thread: Ray Ray Armstrong

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Ray Ray Armstrong

Here's an interesting story.

Amstrong was one of the top safeties returning to the NCAA on many lists. Then he was dismissed from the UMiami football team (he apparently was untruthful during an internal investigation). He transferred to a small school, but was declared ineligble.

Despite these setbacks, I just read that Armstrong graduated from UMiami and will be playing in the NFLPA Collegiate Bowl (a new college All-Star game that started last year).

Armstrong was one of my top targets before the disciplinary issues arose. Now, I wonder if he could be someone worth a flyer in the late rounds of the draft. The Rams certainly need depth at the position, and it seems like Armstrong could be one of the most talented guys out there in Rounds 6 and 7.

Something to keep an eye on.

CRAZYHORNS is offline Registered User

Re: Ray Ray Armstrong

Yes, I would take a flier on him. But I would do an extensive background check on him and if it seems he has made some significant changes then I would take a chance on him.

jmk321 is offline Registered User

I don't care what the player's background is by the time the 6th or 7th round comes along. If he can still be a difference maker on the field then the risk is worth the reward by that point in the draft in my opinion.

RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

Sounds good. Here is some more info on him from CBS sports.

Armstrong, a hard-hitting 6-4, 215-pounder with great speed, wears the late Sean Taylor's No. 26 and has often been compared to him. He was UM's top-rated signee in 2009. He led Sanford Seminole High to the Class 6A title as a quarterback and safety his senior year. Last year he finished third on the team in tackles with 79, and tied for a team-high three interceptions. This season Armstrong was suspended by the NCAA the first four games for accepting impermissible benefits from former UM booster Nevin Shapiro.

Torry Holt is offline Registered User

I would take a chance on him too. Later rounds in draft are for low risks/high rewards.
    Si vous croyez en vous, que vous avez de la fierté, et que vous ne lâchez jamais, vous serez un gagnant.
    Le prix de la victoire est chère, mais la récompense en vaut la peine.

ramsplaya16 is offline Registered User

no thanks, and this is coming from a season ticket holder from the canes. Always had huge potential and never lived up to it, 6 or 7 round MAYBE i'd take a flier, nothing sooner.
    Built RAM tough

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Why not, both Quinn and Jenkins had troubled backgrounds and problems with the NCAA and they seem to have very bright futures with the Rams. Maybe lightning can strike three times for us lol
    Ram187 likes this.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

I got a question why is his stock so low???

Robert Quinn missed his final season at North Carolina and he got taken in the 1st by us

Jaronis Jenkins got kicked off his college team and was selected in the second round by the rams

what makes this guy's case so different that he is being considered for such a late round because i remember last year i thought he would be taken in the early 1st in the 2013 draft a guy with size and speed that hits that hard is a valuable asset.

Fastcat is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post

Robert Quinn missed his final season at North Carolina and he got taken in the 1st by us

Jaronis Jenkins got kicked off his college team and was selected in the second round by the rams

what makes this guy's case so different that he is being considered for such a late round because i remember last year i thought he would be taken in the early 1st in the 2013 draft a guy with size and speed that hits that hard is a valuable asset.
    Not 100% sure but maybe becuase saftey isnt a coveted position??

ramsplaya16 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post

Because he's never proved anything on the field, he's always lived off his "potential" label.
    Built RAM tough