sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Which RB best fits us?

As we all know, the Rams are once again pursuing a backup running back for Steven Jackson. It seems as if Kenneth Darby and Keith Toston aren't cutting it.

We have several options in free agency. We can go after a savy veteran like Darren Sproles, the home run hitter Reggie Bush, the dependable Jason Snelling, or an undrafted rookie like Derrick Locke or Mario Fannin. Lets look at some of the positives and negatives of all these players' games.

Reggie Bush - He has a bit of an injury history. Doesn't want to leave New Orleans and they want to retain him. Reggie is a home run hitter who can change a game with one play. I do not believe he will come cheap which is a huge negative for someone who touches the ball 6-8 times a game. Reggie doesn't look like he will accept the backup role and tries to much to be something he isn't, a workhorse. Reggie shows he has a knack to get in the endzone with 17 rushing touchdowns and 12 receiving touchdowns in his 5 year injury riddled career.

Darren Sproles - He has openly said he is expecting a backup role which is important. Not only does he bring the ability to run and catch, but he has shown he is a huge spark with his kick returns. His special team ability will always keep him a priority. Some say hes too old because he is 28, though he only has 249 carries in his 6 year career. He averages over his career 4.6 YPC which is impressive. In my opinion, his receiving ability sets him apart from the rest. Last season he had 59 receptions, 520 yards, and 2 touchdowns receiving.

Jason Snelling - Snelling had a great year backing up Michael Turner. He had 87 rushing attempts for 324 yards with an average of 3.7 yards per carry and scoring 2 touchdowns. He also had 44 receptions for 303 yards, and 3 touchdowns receiving. I don't see why the Falcons would let him walk. He's so valuable to that team. When Turner needs a break or is down, the offense doesn't seem to skip a beat with Snelling in. If he is available, I see the Rams heavily pursuing either him (Snelling) or Sproles.

Derrick Locke - Locke is an undrafted rookie running back from Kentucky. He is 5'9 tall and weighs 190 lbs. Very quick, fast, agile, makes good cuts, and can break one for a big run is what most say about him. He is the perfect change of pace back for Steven Jackson. With only 166 carries he managed to accumulate 887 yards, and 10 touchdowns rushing. He averaged 5.3 yards per carry and his long was an 83 yard run. He has the ability to break a huge run.

Mario Fannin - He is more of a big bruiser type back at 5'11 and 228 lbs. He is also very quick and can make a big play by one very dangerous cut. With the very limited carries he got he definitely made the most of them. He had only 61 carries but for 395 yards rushing. He had 5 rushing touchdowns averaging 6.5 yards per carry. That is impressive. Fannin had 17 receptions for 173 yards averaging 10.2 yards per catch. He also had 2 receiving touchdowns. Both Fannin and Locke will come cheap.

Last year Steven Jackson had his lowest yards per carry average at 3.8. This was partly due to our horrendous guard play, thanks to Jacob Bell and Adam Goldberg. We also didn't have a consistent down field threat causing Steven too be playing against 8 and 9 man boxes at times. Last but not least, Steven needs a consistent backup who can jump into the line up and keep the offense going with no problems.

-Sosa

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Re: Which RB best fits us?

These are all great guys to compliment Jackson but you're also forgetting Noel Devine. I think he's pretty underrated and should come dirt cheap. Just cause he's as small as Sproles doesn't mean he won't be bad but if it were between him and Locke, I'd choose Locke

RamBamThankYouMam is offline Registered User

There are alot of compelling options for possible back-up running back choices. The thing is, with all of the other holes on this roster, and Jackson still having production left in his legs I say choose a cheap and reliable back-up. The Rams have other areas of need that don't have any depth at the position. Safety, OLB, DT, and G are all still positions that I would like to see the Rams upgrade before they make a significant upgrade at back-up RB with guys like Sproles and Bush. Both of those players will command decent money when that money could be spent on improving one of the other positions I mentioned earlier. I think Steve Slaton is a good option and could be had for a 5th round pick. He is not the best option for the Rams but he makes sense in McDaniels' offense. The Rams would have nice depth with Jackson, Slaton, and Darby.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Bush could be intriguing, but I think he's going to be one of those cases where you pay the guy more than you should have and he disappoints, even in a reserve role. I think the luster is wearing off on Sproles at this point. Locke probably doesn't have the size the Rams are looking for at the position. Snelling and Fannin are interesting possibilities that I think the Rams would be interested in. Someone mentioned Le'Ron McClain in another thread, and I'm kind of intrigued by that as well. He would give the Rams a bigger tailback when the workload needed to be split, but could also sub in as a fullback and would likely be a big upgrade there.

Ram Mar Ram is offline Registered User

Jerome Harrison i like. 4.8 career average, , is he a FA?

Otherwise Snelling fits what the front-office are thinking, i think with the type of RB's the Rams invited pre-draft (all 225+ pounds, 6 footers), they are looking at a runner in the same mould as Steven Jackson.

With Sproles/Bush type player, i'd rather sign Locke/Devine on the cheap, those two will be expensive non-starters.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Bush could be intriguing, but I think he's going to be one of those cases where you pay the guy more than you should have and he disappoints, even in a reserve role. I think the luster is wearing off on Sproles at this point. Locke probably doesn't have the size the Rams are looking for at the position. Snelling and Fannin are interesting possibilities that I think the Rams would be interested in. Someone mentioned Le'Ron McClain in another thread, and I'm kind of intrigued by that as well. He would give the Rams a bigger tailback when the workload needed to be split, but could also sub in as a fullback and would likely be a big upgrade there.
    That person would be me. The way I look at it is, the last year we didn't have a losing record was 2006 and Steven had 90 receptions that year. It's not like he's a three yards and a cloud of dust kind of back. He's a bigger, stronger, and yes, somewhat slower, version of Marshall. No one will ever be another Faulk, but Jackson has the skills to be the same kind of player.

To compliment Jackson in that role, and to preserve his career, I want Steven to be the 2nd and 3rd down back, not the 1st and 2nd. If we get a Sproles, or a Bush or even a Slaton, would we trust them to be our lead back if Jax got hurt? I don't think so. Neither have any of those three's teams. So, I want a big back who we won't be worried about taking over if we need him to, and Mclain fills that role and more. He's also played as Baltimore's fullback, and so we could actually get both of them in the backfield at the same time and be really dangerous.
    I believe!

richtree is offline Registered User

I say we go Derrick Locke and a vet like Ronnie Brown....or try to steal one of the NYG running backs....

soo many good RBs will be available..Bradshaw, Addai, and Ronnie Brown all there ...

RAMarkable is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    I say we go Derrick Locke and a vet like Ronnie Brown....or try to steal one of the NYG running backs....

soo many good RBs will be available..Bradshaw, Addai, and Ronnie Brown all there ...
    I like Ronnie Brown, too but do you really think he would be happy taking backup money to sit behind Steven most of the game?

I gotta believe that at this point in his career he's looking for one more BIG payday. (And I'm not talking about the candy bar!!)

WAHT SAY YE?