Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RB Position

svh01 is offline Registered User

RB Position

Would anyone be upset if we picked up Ricky Williams in free agency?

codeman123 is offline Registered User

Re: RB Position

As soon as Arizona selected a running back in round two I had a feeling there was no chance the Rams would select a running back. Arizona won't keep 4 running backs so either Larod Stephens-Howling or Tim Hightower are going to be shown the door and would probably be better than most of the RBs in the draft the Rams were looking at.
    Same goes with the Saints too, I guess. Bush will probably be gone, but if not Ivory might be available (Payton likes Ivory so I doubt it).

TylerBishop is offline Registered User

Nothing would make me happier than RW, but I bet I'm in the minority

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

The Rams will probably bring in at least 2 rb "sleepers" as priority free agents. Who knows - maybe there will be some decent talent there. Free agency - when it finally happens - will have some guys to choose from as well. Last but not least, there may be a couple or more teams who have several talented running backs but not enough room on the roster for all of them come final cutdown. A backup running back will have ample time to learn the playbook even if we pick him up right before the first game of the season .. assuming there is one of course ...

One thing that did piss me off was the whiners getting Kendall Hunter .. Oh well, maybe he'll keep on fumbling at the NFL level ..

BarronWade is offline Registered User

It is pretty obvious from this draft Steven Jackson will not run the ball that much and we will pass a majority of the time.

Our best options Reggie Bush line him up with Jackson then move him around in the formation becuase he can be a slot receiver type. Rickky Williams is a no he is not an elite receiver out of the backfield

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I'd keep an eye on Marion Barber and Brandon Jacobs. I could see either or both of them becoming available.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I'd keep an eye on Marion Barber and Brandon Jacobs. I could see either or both of them becoming available.
    I'd prefer a trade for Tashard Choice. Maybe something like a 4th? Though I do see Marion Barber becoming very expendable.

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

I agree with some of the others here that based on what we saw this weekend I think some decent backup RBs could be had in FA, we'll see if the Rams are able to nab one.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Also, the Pats took two new RB's as well, so I doubt that the Law Firm will still be practicing in the Boston area. I'd LOVE to give him a shot if/when he becomes available.

Looking at the teams that grabbed RB's, I think it's pretty clear that there will be a large number of free agent RB with some good production that are available. I think it will be very easy for the Rams to pitch a backup role to one of them who will want to be on an up and coming contender.
    I believe!

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

Steven told the rams to not worry about the backup rb he said he would carry the load. So if steven says he is doesn't need help I believe him. I wouldn't be surpised if we seen him have quite a few 100 yard games just from the offense opening up to where he isn't the main target. I also see a season like 2006 where he almost had 1000 yards receiving.

richtree is offline Registered User

There is one correct way to address this issue.

Sign a FA that didn't get picked up in the NFL draft. There were some decent NFL player at RB that didn't get picked....we need one of them. They are cheap and young. Get one now or as soon as we are allowed.

harrydog is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sjacksonrules View Post
    Steven told the rams to not worry about the backup rb he said he would carry the load. So if steven says he is doesn't need help I believe him. I wouldn't be surpised if we seen him have quite a few 100 yard games just from the offense opening up to where he isn't the main target. I also see a season like 2006 where he almost had 1000 yards receiving.
    He'll always give 100% but what if he gets dinged up? I hope we can pick up a backup RB that could carry the full load if needed.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by harrydog View Post
    He'll always give 100% but what if he gets dinged up? I hope we can pick up a backup RB that could carry the full load if needed.
    Im not even worried about him getting banged up. I hate to see someone stealing the carries or catches from him but it has to happen. He has had an insane number of touches since 2006. I mean the backup will only touch the ball close to 8 times a game, though it will total to 128 carries. I hope he still has a very productive season.

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by harrydog View Post
    That's the key. If he does get dinged up we have a backup plan in a passing game that we haven't had in awhile.

I wouldn't be opposed to picking up locke though just didn't think we needed to waste a 1, 2, 3, of 4th on one.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

I think bringing in Locke and a higher profile big RB vet would be exactly what I would want to do. Locke can be the scat back that we've been wanting to offset Jax, and then the big RB can enter in on early and short yardage downs so that we can use Jax whenever we want to the best advantage.

I think the best way to prolong Jax's career is to get him out of there on heavy sets, where he'll get the most hits and banging around. Make him our 2nd and 3rd down back as opposed to only or 1st and 2nd down back. He's awesome in the pass game, so leave him in there! Get a big boy to do the hard running for him, and then bring in Locke to spell Jax when he can't play 3rd.
    I believe!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast