View Poll Results: Assuming these price tags, which FA RB do you want?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • DeAngelo Williams $$$

0 0%
  • Darren Sproles $$

20 42.55%
  • Ahmad Bradshaw $$$

1 2.13%
  • Brandon Jacobs $$

3 6.38%
  • Reggie Bush $$

13 27.66%
  • Tim Hightower $

3 6.38%
  • Jerome Harrison $

0 0%
  • Cedrick Benson $$

0 0%
  • Ronnie Brown $$

1 2.13%
  • Ricky Williams $

1 2.13%
  • Pierre Thomas $$

1 2.13%
  • Joseph Addai $$

4 8.51%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Which RB should the Rams acquire (best choice/best bargain)

shower beers is offline Registered User

Re: Which RB should the Rams acquire (best choice/best bargain)

I can't find the tiki barber option. Please advise.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sjacksonrules View Post
    But has sproles really proved himself? He has 249 carries in his career for less than 1200 yards. Jackson has only two years were he has rushed for less than 249 in a year. Sproles has more receiving yards than rushing so Idk if this guy is the right option.

Looking at bushes numbers he isn't that impressive either. So he may not be a good option either for the money at least. We need a homerun hitter bush averages 4 ypc.
    If Reggie Bush and Darren Sproles are homerun hitters I am not too sure who is. I would be very pleased with either of them.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    I can't find the tiki barber option. Please advise.
    See Official "Hell, No!" Thread
    Ram Mar Ram likes this.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    If the Rams like Bush, why wouldn't they give him a 2-3 year contract? He's only 26, after all.
    At this point Josh McD has his playbook and the direction he wants the offense to go. However this year he has been given a rare asset a workhorse runningback. A runningback that produces more as his carries increase. So i think Josh McD needs to find out how he is going to use Jackson before getting a RB to split the load with Jackson. If McD realizes he does not need another RB to split the load with SJax Ken Darby is our best option.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sjacksonrules View Post
    But has sproles really proved himself? He has 249 carries in his career for less than 1200 yards. Jackson has only two years were he has rushed for less than 249 in a year. Sproles has more receiving yards than rushing so Idk if this guy is the right option.

Looking at bushes numbers he isn't that impressive either. So he may not be a good option either for the money at least. We need a homerun hitter bush averages 4 ypc.
    Let me preface thsi with saying that I don't believe that either Sproles or Bush are the right option, especially since both will be looking for paydays (when Bush is released from his over $11M salary, that is).

But I'm sorry, you really must not follow football outside of the Rams if you didn't know that Sproles and Bush have better stats receiving than they do rushing. They're both quintesential 3rd down, scat, or passing game backs. They're small, quick, return men who some times have to run it up the gut to make defenses honest. If we want to grab a 3rd down back, and really, that is all that they are good for, for higher than average salary, then yes, Sproles or Bush would work fine. Also, if you just look at yards per carry, especially with Bush, you're going to be deceived, as he dances behind the line so much that he loses yards half the time when he carries the ball. By your logic (Bush is not a homerun hitter because of his 4.0 ypc) you'll absolutely love Brandon Jacobs' 5.6ypc last year. So what if he weighs about 60 pounds more than Bush?

But here is where I differ and went with Brandon Jacobs, though now looking at his measureables and stats from last year, I would be happy with Tim Hightower. Quite happy if he is indeed released (I don't think he's a FA). I want a big back, and Jacobs' 260 lbs certainly fit the bill, but I can certainly be happy enough with Hightower's listed 222 and four years younger body. And it certainly has had less wear and tear on it than Jacobs' has.

In any case, I want a big back. If you want to give it a name, I want a 4th down back, not a 3rd down one. I want a guy who wiill take 6-8 hard, short yardage or 1st down carries a game from Jackson, and will free Jax up to play on every 3rd down, where he can massacre nickel defenses as a receiver and a runner. He can block, he can catch, and he can definitely run.

There are those saying that they don't want to take carries away from Jax because he gets stronger as the game goes on. But they still want to limit his touches, because they still want a backup running back. What I'm saying, is that we limit his carries, not his touches. Get him the ball 5 times a game in the passing game where he can get it in space and work his magic. He's just as good as Sproles or Bush there, and harder to take down. He'll take less of a beating, still get the same touches as if you took him out on 3rd down, and maybe come the 4th quarter, both Jax and Hightower/Jacobs can run wild through the tired defenders.
    Last edited by TekeRam; -05-15-2011 at 12:21 PM.
    I believe!

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    But I'm sorry, you really must not follow football outside of the Rams if you didn't know that Sproles and Bush have better stats receiving than they do rushing. They're both quintesential 3rd down, scat, or passing game backs. They're small, quick, return men who some times have to run it up the gut to make defenses honest. If we want to grab a 3rd down back, and really, that is all that they are good for, for higher than average salary, then yes, Sproles or Bush would work fine. Also, if you just look at yards per carry, especially with Bush, you're going to be deceived, as he dances behind the line so much that he loses yards half the time when he carries the ball. By your logic (Bush is not a homerun hitter because of his 4.0 ypc) you'll absolutely love Brandon Jacobs' 5.6ypc last year. So what if he weighs about 60 pounds more than Bush?

That is where you are wrong I do watch A LOT of football outside of the Rams. I am not impressed by either one. Stats don't lie, Barry Sanders ran backwards a lot and yet he still had a great ypc 5.0 over his entire career. I would say Barry ran more backwards than either bush or sproles so I don't see any excuses here. I don't like losing yards so why would we want someone that dances around and loses yards and doesn't make up for it? I want someone like a Chris johnson, adrian peterson, or jamaal charles they are homerun hitters I could name more but you get the point. They have the ability to take it to the house from the 10 yard line. Steven is more of a homerun guy than bush, Steven has had a average of a 52 yard td his entire career and average of a 43 yard receiving td. Bush on the other hand had a 32 yard average on the longest td with a average long of a 38 yard receiving td. Sproles is worse with a 29.4 average long of rushing td his receiving yard longs are better over the past 3 years but before that was to great.

If either one were that great why would they both teams replaced them over the past two years. Heck saints brought in ingram this year and ivory last year to replace bush. Bush is to injury prone to me he has yet to start 16 games even once. Chargers used Tolbert and Matthews more than Sproles so what does that tell you? Sproles is more of a kick returner than anything. I want someone to run the ball thats the point of being a running back. Sproles and bush both only average about the same as Jackson in receiving.

So I wouldn't question me about my football knowledge because I do watch a lot of football. I usually have about 5 fantasy teams at any given time so I have to pay attention to everyone. I notice who is getting the touches and its not either one of those guys. Chris ivory, ladell betts, julius jones, and pierre thomas all had more yards rushing than bush. Betts and thomas almost had as many yards receiving. I don't care what they have done in punt or kick returns we need a running back.

So maybe I should be questioning whether or not you pay attention to the nfl outside of the Rams.

Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

Well I went Tim Hightower. I think he would be a great fit with the Rams. Sometimes fellow Ram fans need to think price of a player. I think Bush is the best compliment back for S.J. and Sproles after him.

I would rather spend the big dollars you guys want to pay for Bush & Sproles on a Gaurd like J. Blalock or Davin Joseph. With the better Gaurd play S.J. & a Hightower will get more yards per carry and look real good. You will also know your franchise QB Sam Bradford will be better protected.

itsguud is offline Registered User

I voted for Addai. Have to explain this here:

SJax is a monster. We all know it. He is not only one of the most feared ball carrying backs in the league he also has amazing hands. In reality we don't need someone to spell him in every 3rd down situation. What we need is someone who can come in at various times during the game and run just as good as any starting back in the NFL. Having said that I don't believe we should be targeting a specific 3rd down back such as Sproles. We would be better off with someone such as Addai who is able to run series on his own when Jackson needs a breather.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

In my eyes there is no better option that Sproles.

He is a really good pass catcher. Hes very quick, and hes terrific on special teams. He is also a good blocker and can run the ball too. He is also the "change of pace back" we have all been talking about. He has low mileage which makes me want him more. He would probably be inexpensive, and isn't even expecting a starting role.

I sure hope Sproles will come to STL. He will give us that much needed boost on KR and PuntR. We will finally have someone who can take it to the house, and give us good field position all the time (hopefully).

bigtiger737 Guest

I personally don't worry about a back because of third done.. more as a matter of what we do if jackson needs a couple games off.. while healthy he is a 4 down back.. for the next 3 still bearing injury

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I voted Bradshaw....with Sproles a very close second!

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

I voted Spoles because his style contrasts SJ power running. But if he's a better receiver than rusher, what have we accomplished? I read this morning T. Choice may be available from the Cowboys who have a crowded backfield with the drafting of DeMarco Murray (whom I wish we drafted, but that's another discussion), so Choice may be available. He would be a strong candidate in my book because he's young and not over-used. Get the checkbook out!

Go Rams!

QUINNtessentialTruth is offline Registered User

I said Tim Hightower. I think he would be a good enough backup, and the saved money can be used at DT, OLB, OG or Safety.

I would not mind Sproles or Jerome Harrison (darkhorse, he could actually be real good backup). Reggie Bush is a little questionable, but if he comes cheap (cheap compared to what Bush wants) then I would grab him.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12