47. You may not vote on this poll
  • CB

9 19.15%
  • DT

38 80.85%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    we are is offline Registered User

RD 2...DT vs. CB?

Sup guys....I'm a Bills fan and on our message board we are doing a full 7 round mock draft. I have the Rams and I took Jason Smith with the first pick. I think he's the best tackle.

But i'm having trouble with the second pick. I'm not gonna go WR cause I dont want to go offense twice in a row. So my question is which is a bigger need, CB or DT?

Lets say Moore/Butler or Hood/Brace was still on the board at 35.....what do you think would be the pick?

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Re: RD 2...DT vs. CB?

If Laurinitis falls to the second he won't get past the Rams, but as far as your question it has to be DT. I don't see the rams needing to address corner till well in to day 2 if at all. We have Ron Bartell, Tye Hill, Jonathan Wade, and Justin King. Hopefully we can bring back Ricky Manning Jr as he played well at the nickel position. If someone of good value in the front seven of the defense is there you can't go wrong.

Well James is already gone or that wouldve been my pick.

Is CB really that deep of a position? Bartell seems alright but Wade has seen limited action, Hill was benched and King missed all of last year and had a very disappointing Junior Season at Penn State.

Im not saying I know more about the Rams cause you guys are the fans and know more than me, its just the prize for the winner is two free bills tickets....and ive never been to a bills game.

RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

If we go OT round 1. Then it should be between a MLB or Brace a NT. Some will argue for Britt or a WR if a good one is there but IMO MLB and NT are bigger needs.

jbell15 is offline Registered User

Yeah if you want to have the best chance at winning those tickets then give us Brace. Unless Nicks or Britt is there
    give us the options left we can probably tell you the most logical pick.

Quote Originally Posted by jbell15 View Post
    Yeah if you want to have the best chance at winning those tickets then give us Brace. Unless Nicks or Britt is there
    give us the options left we can probably tell you the most logical pick.

Alright cool.

RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by we are View Post
    Is CB really that deep of a position? Bartell seems alright but Wade has seen limited action, Hill was benched and King missed all of last year and had a very disappointing Junior Season at Penn State.

Im not saying I know more about the Rams cause you guys are the fans and know more than me, its just the prize for the winner is two free bills tickets....and ive never been to a bills game.
    We have signed 3 DB's Atogwe, Bartell, Butler, we have one open CB position between Hill, King, and Wade along with a possible free agent signing such as Craft we should not draft another CB on the first day of the draft. There is hope of King in his second year and some people thought Craft did a serviceable job. Our biggest problem has been our front 7 on defense. We could use a NT, MLB, and SLB before another CB. You could even argue we need a DE more then CB to rotate in and eventually replace Little who is in his last year.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

maybe neither, we could go WR or MLB

Bar-bq is online now Pro Bowl Ram

You could go with a receiver like Nicks, a MLB like Sintim, a NT in Brace or an OT in Beatty and I'd be happy in almost all instances.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Well, I don't know if we're exactly strong at corner, but we've got a bunch of young ones. We just resigned Bartell, drafted in the second round in 2005. We also have Hill, a first rounder drafted in 2006; Wade, a third rounder drafted in 2007; and King, a fourth rounder drafted in 2008 (got injured in the preseason, so he didn't see action last season). That's four corners in four years. My guess is that we're more likely to see if one of them develops.

At defensive tackle on the other hand, we just have Carriker and Ryan. There's also Wroten coming back from suspension, but many here feel that he will not be with us by the start of next season.

cfh128 is offline Registered User

There is need for both but I personally am going to go against the grain here and say CB. Carriker and Ryan may not be pro bowlers at tackle but they are adequate starters. Assuming Adeyanju signs his tender he can slide in and play tackle in a pinch, and its possible (though not likely) that Glover and/or Wroten could be back next year. We could probably use an upgrade over Ryan, and we definitely could use some more depth, but we can get by at tackle for now if we had to.

Cornerback is another story. It seems to me many people on here are assuming that either Hill, Wade, or King will emerge as a starter alongside Bartell. While I concede that it is possible that one of these guys steps it up to another level, as it stands now Bartell is the only CB we have on this roster that has proven he is starting calibur. Many people here are calling for King to start alongside Bartell, but that is a huge leap of faith being that this guy has never even played a single down in an NFL game. Wade and Hill are fast but they certainly have not played like starters to this point.

What am I trying to say here? Both positions are worthy candidates for our 2nd round pick (I would agree with those who have mentioned MLB as being a greater need than both) but we have 2 certifiable starters at DT whereas we have 1 at CB. We may have more depth at CB, but we need a second starter. Especially since we play the Cards twice a year. So I vote CB.

BTW, I have seen many Bills games at Ralph Wilson stadium. Always a good time, very die hard rowdy fans!

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

i could see things working out where they draft neither.

DT and in particular NT is a far bigger need,but id say theres only 4 they would spend their 2nd rounder on and two of them (Raji & Jerry) would be well gone by the time they pick,which would leave only Brace & Ziggy Hood as the only serious DT contenders for that pick..Colts could pick Hood and Titans could reach for Brace after seeing Raji & Jerry go in the top 20.

CB`s is a lower need but the prospects likely to still be available have a higher grade...so they could bite the bullet and go for their number 2 CB in a D.J. Moore or Alphonso Smith...

if DT is out of the running tho i think theyll go either LB or WR..if they infact took Lady legs as you have in your draft.

cfh128 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nibiru2012 View Post
    You can draft all the CB's in the world, but without a consistent pass rush (Which we don't have) the DB's will get eaten alive. We need to build our front 7............. period. If you want to win those tickets I would definetly not go with CB, I can go out on a limb and guarantee we will not draft a CB in round 2, no matter who we draft in round 1.
    I do agree we need to build our front 7, and I agree that our pass rush is weak. But I think most people here have more confidence in our CB's than I do. Even with the best pass rush in the world I don't think you are going to find a starter between Hill, Wade, and King.

I also think that if we are going to draft a DT, it is going to be a big run stuffer moreso than an inside pass rushing type. We just drafted Carriker to be that guy in the first round 2 years ago and I think he has the ability if he can just stay healthy. I think we may be able to find a fat lane clogging run stuffer in later rounds.

The pass rush would indeed help our CB's but Ron Bartell seemed to do pretty well without much of a pass rush. So did Nnamdi Asomugha and I'm sure quite a few others. The pass rush argument can only go so far. You can also argue that having better CB's will help out the pass rush because the QB will be forced to hold on to the ball longer.

I agree that we most likely will not draft a CB in the second round. But the original post asked "what is the bigger need" so I gave my opinion. I think both areas could use addressing, and even then, I would prefer to see us go LB in round 2 if we pick an OT in round 1.

Dominating D is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nibiru2012 View Post
    I agree I too would like a LB if we go OT in round 1. But the pass rush arguement cant' only go so far. It is a fact, just because a couple CB's did " Pretty good " with a lack of a consistent pass rush doesn't mean anything, and there aren't "quite a few others" if there are name them. A team usually has atleast 2 CB's on the field, not just 1. CB's have the toughest job on the field besides the QB, and they are the most athletic, there's no question about it. But with no pressure on the QB somewhere a WR will be open, it's inevitable.
    I can agree Hill, Wade and King are not starter material especially King we haven't even seen him on the field. But the same arguement can be said about Cliff Ryan, sure we seen some alright stuff from him but to say he can start and do a good job through out the game is farfetched, and Carriker has hardly held up to his 1st round pick. Neither of them command a double team, Neither of them shed blocks consistently, Neither of them can penatrate the backfield.

It is all of course a matter of opinion, and in mine i think it all starts up front on both sides of the ball. I don't want to see a WR or a CB drafted in the first 2 or 3 rounds.
    You make a very good argument but I have a couple of things to add.

1st Do you think drafting a CB in the 2nd round of this years draft will provide the Rams with a starting CB????

2nd how many 1st day picks do the Rams need to waste (ooops did I say waste) before we can finally get a pass rush. Definition of insanity is to keep doing the same thing over and over again and expect different results. The Rams have used alot of 1st day picks on day 1 and Ryan a second day pick is arguably or best DT.... Maybe the Rams should consider drafting playmakers in day 1 and pick up Line Players in the 2nd day?

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Dominating D View Post
    Definition of insanity is to keep doing the same thing over and over again and expect different results. The Rams have used alot of 1st day picks on day 1 and Ryan a second day pick is arguably or best DT.... Maybe the Rams should consider drafting playmakers in day 1 and pick up Line Players in the 2nd day?
    So if you're focusing on a problem area, and that isn't working, then you should put less resources into fixing the problem and hope it works itself out? The problem isn't that we've spent too many first day picks on defensive linemen, it's that we've often spent them on the wrong guys. The solution to that kind of problem is to improve your scouting, not wait until the guys you have rated the highest are off the board.

My main problem with drafting a CB right now is that I'm not entirely convinced that anyone we would take in the draft right now would be an immediate upgrade. Bartell didn't become a starter until his third season.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast