47. You may not vote on this poll
  • CB

9 19.15%
  • DT

38 80.85%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    we are Guest

Re: RD 2...DT vs. CB?

What would you think about Clint Sintim in the 2nd?

Do you think the Rams would take him to play MLB? he has very good size.

Dominating D Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    So if you're focusing on a problem area, and that isn't working, then you should put less resources into fixing the problem and hope it works itself out? The problem isn't that we've spent too many first day picks on defensive linemen, it's that we've often spent them on the wrong guys. The solution to that kind of problem is to improve your scouting, not wait until the guys you have rated the highest are off the board.

My main problem with drafting a CB right now is that I'm not entirely convinced that anyone we would take in the draft right now would be an immediate upgrade. Bartell didn't become a starter until his third season.
    So the guys who the Rams pick...

Kennedy, Lewis, Pickett, Carricker, and the list goes on.... Are you saying the Rams should have picked another player at the same position or move up in the draft to select another playre? At the time most of these players were projected at the spot the Rams selected them if not higher. The only real exception is Pickett who arguably was the most talented.

What I am saying is most Defensive Lineman do not make an immediate impact on the field. Most of them have to be developed into a system. Not every quality player has to be selected in the top rounds. We have Long and Carricker who are young and selected in the top of the 1st round. Why not add some depth and potential talent in the position. Do the Rams have to Use up most of it's latest top picks in one area the DL and neglect the rest??? Just my thoughts...
    Last edited by Dominating D; -03-31-2009 at 12:59 PM.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Should have kept Pickett. He played very well for the Rams but was bunched in with DLew and Arch. No way should the Rams have let go Pickett go.

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

my two cents.

first penny: Rams new coach was able to put together a really stout Giants defense, not with superstar corners, but with really mean D linemen who were kept fresh by revolving in and out. I think Spag's will want someone up front (i include lb's here) more than a db.

second penny: Rams new coach put together a really stout Giants defense with average corners, by revolving in D-linemen!!!

i think someone argued Rams already have 2 starting DT's. Under Spag's system, that's no where near enough; but there are avg corners on roster and available for cheap in FA. FO said they want a big sloppy guy to plug the middle... i don't think they'll wait 'till the 2nd day to get him, unless a top ranked lb falls to them in the 2nd.

Good luck, We Are!

bruce4life is online now Registered User

Im tired of all this speculation that we will take a CB. We have Wade, King, and Hill who are all young and capable of playing they just need a shot. Plus there still is a possbility that we can grab Veteran Corner such as Dre BLy or Mike Mckenzie or Chris MCcallister at a reasonable price now this far in FA...

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

Hill is a bust, Wade is no good, and King's never played an NFL down. None of them is our answer at CB. CB may not be our biggest need, but it's definitely a need, and I think the Rams are going to give it a longer look than most people here think. I would not rule out a CB in round 2 or 3 if that's where the value is when we're up.

I agree Weasel. I think that CB is sooooo much of a need that the front office going CB in Round 2 is not far fetched at all. This team has so many needs that any position could be drafted and it wouldn't matter.
    Last edited by txramsfan; -03-31-2009 at 04:50 PM.

jbell15 Guest

I completely disagree with the last two posters.
    Do you remember what corey webster was labeled as before spags got his hands on him?
    I believe the tag was "Bust"
    Tye hill still has talent, he just needs confidence and coaching.
    Wade and king are basically in the same boat because they are yet to see significant playing time and i think that as they can thrive as the third and fourth corners on this team.

Hope so jb.....hope so.

Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

Wow !
    Lot's of good points in this thread!
    I will still have to go DT/NT , MLB , DE or WR before I would go CB.
    King only played preseason last year, NO way can anyone call him a bust.

we are Guest

Alright.....you guys probably aren't gonna like this lol.

But Kenny Britt was sitting there at 35 just staring me right in the face. Britt is one of my favorite prospects in the entire draft....huge frame, big time speed and a stellar career. So I took him.

However... Sintim and Brace are still on the board at 40, and I'm thinking of trading back into the 2nd round somwhere around 50 and taking one of them.

Thoughts?

Good pick for the Rams with Britt. The Rams definately need WR help

Dominating D Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Weasel View Post
    Hill is a bust, Wade is no good, and King's never played an NFL down. None of them is our answer at CB. CB may not be our biggest need, but it's definitely a need, and I think the Rams are going to give it a longer look than most people here think. I would not rule out a CB in round 2 or 3 if that's where the value is when we're up.
    So if they go CB according to you the Rams will now have Hill the BUST, Wade the Waste and King with no NFL experience and another player drafted in the 2nd round with no experience.

How does this help??? Unless you have a CB your confident will be a plug and play starter available with the Rams 2nd round pick then why draft another player who has no experience????

cfh128 is offline Registered User

I figured somebody would bring up the "average" CB corps of the Giants, and the emergence of Corey Webster as being points against drafting a CB. But why is this logic not presented in regards to the D Line? In 2006, before Spags was DC of the Giants, they only registered 32 sacks. In 07 with Spags on board, that number jumped to 53. I think it can be argued that if there is any area in our defense that should show significant improvement with Spags as the coach, its the D Line and the pass rush.

Again, this is not to say we are all set at DT. I definitely would like to see this position addressed at some point in the draft or FA. I just think that finding a CB to start opposite Bartell is a more glaring need.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Dominating D View Post
    So the guys who the Rams pick...

Kennedy, Lewis, Pickett, Carricker, and the list goes on.... Are you saying the Rams should have picked another player at the same position or move up in the draft to select another playre? At the time most of these players were projected at the spot the Rams selected them if not higher. The only real exception is Pickett who arguably was the most talented.
    That's exactly what I'm saying, although I'm not ready to pass judgment on Carriker yet. It doesn't really matter where the pundits project these guys to go. The team scouts are the ones who do this year-round for a living. It's their job to determine whether a guy can cut it at the next level. And it's no surprise that a lot of the top defensive linemen in the league were first rounders: John Henderson, Marcus Stroud, Kevin Williams, Albert Haynesworth, Tommie Harris, Casey Hampton, the Pats' Vince Wilfork, Ty Warren, and Richard Seymour...

The early picks don't all pan out, but it's just common sense that you've got a better chance of landing a star if you take a guy who has the athleticism and production to rank as a top prospect.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast