• CB

9 19.15%
  • DT

38 80.85%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Re: RD 2...DT vs. CB?

Quote Originally Posted by we are View Post
    Alright.....you guys probably aren't gonna like this lol.

But Kenny Britt was sitting there at 35 just staring me right in the face. Britt is one of my favorite prospects in the entire draft....huge frame, big time speed and a stellar career. So I took him.

However... Sintim and Brace are still on the board at 40, and I'm thinking of trading back into the 2nd round somwhere around 50 and taking one of them.

Thoughts?
    Stellar pick, we are. Many mocks have Britt going in the first round, so if he's there in the second he's got excellent value. (Ahem...Richtree call home please!) At any rate we already have some speedsters at WR (Avery and Stanley) what we've been missing is some size and red zone capability.

As far as trading back into the 2nd round that's a two-edged sword in that the Rams really don't have any extra picks this year and we have a ton of needs. I guess if you get a tremendous deal you could consider it, but I believe that I would just wait and see who was available when the Rams turn comes up.

WHAT SAY YE?

ramsfan559 is offline Registered User

whatever happens we wont go cb at rd 2

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Loved this from the Jim Thomas chat today, I know GC will

Tackleberry: Fans will be eager to see improvement on both sides of the ball this season, but as many have stated it is basically the same team on the defensive side, plus Butler. Do you think that Spagnuolo alone will be able to instantly make some players play smarter, if not better?

Also, why has each coaching regime seemed to resist bringing in a wide-body veteran tackle?Jim Thomas: Some of the young veterans have to blossom: Atogwe, Bartell, Carriker, Long, etc. Look at Arizona. It took a while for players like Dansby, Dockett, Hayes, Wilson, etc. to gell.
    As for the wide-body at DT, the Rams would've saved themselves a lot of aggravation had they just kept Ryan Pickett

we are is offline Registered User

Thanks for you all the responses guys.

Another question....Does Ziggy Hood fit this teams scheme/needs?

Dominating D is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    That's exactly what I'm saying, although I'm not ready to pass judgment on Carriker yet. It doesn't really matter where the pundits project these guys to go. The team scouts are the ones who do this year-round for a living. It's their job to determine whether a guy can cut it at the next level. And it's no surprise that a lot of the top defensive linemen in the league were first rounders: John Henderson, Marcus Stroud, Kevin Williams, Albert Haynesworth, Tommie Harris, Casey Hampton, the Pats' Vince Wilfork, Ty Warren, and Richard Seymour...

The early picks don't all pan out, but it's just common sense that you've got a better chance of landing a star if you take a guy who has the athleticism and production to rank as a top prospect.
    So in sum the Rams need to spend high draft picks every year on the Defensive Line and neglect all other positions until they get it right. I guess if you want to put all your marbles (High Draft Picks) in one position (the defensive line) then you and past Rams Management are on the same page. I hope the Rams have learned from past mistakes and do not neglect other team needs unless a more talented defensive lineman is available.

we are is offline Registered User

bump......

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

I'm sure there are more qualified people to answer this who have done more research on Ziggy, but from what I've read Hood plays more of a UT or 3 technique as opposed to a nose guard. If thats the case he would not necessarily fit our scheme because we have Carriker playing UT. We need more help at NT. That being said if Spags thinks he is the best D lineman available then he very well could be our pick, seeing as how he likes to keep his D lineman fresh.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Dominating D View Post
    So in sum the Rams need to spend high draft picks every year on the Defensive Line and neglect all other positions until they get it right. I guess if you want to put all your marbles (High Draft Picks) in one position (the defensive line) then you and past Rams Management are on the same page. I hope the Rams have learned from past mistakes and do not neglect other team needs unless a more talented defensive lineman is available.
    See, this can go both ways. If we don't spend a second round pick on a DT, and pick someone else, are we neglecting other needs? Yes. So, this goes both ways, because we have so many needs that any one we pick is an upgrade.

For example, if we pick Brace, are we ignoring CB in that round? Yes.
    If we pick a receiver, are we ignoring some other position? Yes.

Plus, in agreement with GoldenFleece, D-linemen that are projected to go eariler in the draft, usually have better talent, athlectism, and more potential. Am I saying that all our starters on the D-line have to be Day 1 picks? NO. But what I am saying is that a DT selected in the second round has a much better percentage to succeed in the NFL than, say, a fifth round player. That's why those players are projected to go that high in the first place.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Not every year. Prior to drafting Carriker in the first round of 2007, we had not drafted a defensive lineman any earlier than the third round since taking Kennedy in 2003. Again, the problem isn't that we used early picks before, it's that none of them lived up to expectations. You seem to be assuming that if we draft defensive linemen, they'll bust like the others did, but it doesn't matter what position we pick if you're operating under the assumption that the player will be a bust.

Dominating D is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    Not every year. Prior to drafting Carriker in the first round of 2007, we had not drafted a defensive lineman any earlier than the third round since taking Kennedy in 2003. Again, the problem isn't that we used early picks before, it's that none of them lived up to expectations. You seem to be assuming that if we draft defensive linemen, they'll bust like the others did, but it doesn't matter what position we pick if you're operating under the assumption that the player will be a bust.
    So taking Carricker and Long in the 1st round does not count? Leave them out and name some Defensive LIneman in the last decade the Rams have taken worthy of a high selection?

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Rams have taken worthy of a high selection?
    I think that's the problem. None of the linemen we drafted since Carriker and Long have worked out for us. Hence the reason why we want a D-lineman early in the draft, to make up for past mistakes.

Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

Look what the Rams have to work with. I'm sticking with E. "ZIGGY" Hood Rams need a better starter.

Williams, WillieUT 6-4 305 9/19/84 1 Louisville

Wroten, Claude UT 6-2 295 9/16/83 3 Louisiana State
    Ryan, Clifton NT 6-3 310 2/18/84 3 Michigan State Starter
    Burton, Antwon NT 6-2 325 7/11/83 3 Temple
    Carriker, Adam UT 6-6 296 5/6/84 3 Nebraska Starter

Who do you think should play if Ryan or Carriker go down to injury.
    I know not everybody wants E. "ZIGGY" Hood but if he falls to the Rams in Round 2 you have to take him BPA.
    Rams might not Keep Wroten because of off the field problems. Then who do the Rams have to play DT/NT/UT.

The Rams can "reach" for a NT in Ron Brace 5.5 , 40. in the 2nd round spot. I would take him in the 3rd but not 2nd.
    You have to take the talent if it is Robert Ayers DE , Sean Smith CB , Clay Mathews LB , Michael Johnson DE , Clint Sintim LB or a WR it is BPA in 1 of your needs.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

So taking Carricker and Long in the 1st round does not count? Leave them out and name some Defensive LIneman in the last decade the Rams have taken worthy of a high selection?

Ryan Pickett. He played great for the Rams but was stuck with DLew and Arch. Pickett left for a Coke and a smile to Green Bay. Pickett leaving was devasting to this defense.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

It doesn't change the need. There are four starting defensive line positions, and if Carriker and Long pan out, that still only takes care of half of the need. Leonard Little turns 35 in October, so we're going to need someone to replace him soon. Carriker and Ryan still need to improve before we can have confidence in them as long-term solutions at defensive tackle, and there is no depth behind them.

Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

Hopefully Rams won't give up on top talent any longer. Should have resigned Pickett.
    Hopefully the Rams new front office will pick some great players. Not just reach for a certain position "Brace" NT.
    Rams need to pick players to play there natural position ( NO E. Crouch QB to play wr in the NFL ).

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast