Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

Ready for a SURPRISE ?

I can not remember the last time so many were predicting the same player (or position) would be taken by a team (Rams). I got Mel Kiper's report in the Early eighties when I had to drive to his house and get it from his father (no Joke).

Predicting the third pick (RD 1) is one thing, obviously, because the variables are so much smaller.

I have a hard time believing the Rams will get OT Brown with the 19th pick. Yet, everyone (including media outlets) is acting like it's a forgone conclusion.

How many predicted Steven Jackson would be our pick last year???
    How many predicted Jimmy Kennedy to us in Round 1?

I say get ready to be surprised like Gomer Pyle.. SUR PRISE, SUR PRISE, SUR PRISE. History is on my side.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

always ready for a surprise

Draft day is always full of surprises Tony. There is no surprise in that.

The Rams have a real need on the line. Is it that hard to believe that they will pick up Brown if he is still available?

Do you think someone else will pick Brown first? or do you think that the Rams will pick another player? any guesses?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: Ready for a SURPRISE ?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Soprano
    Yet, everyone (including media outlets) is acting like it's a forgone conclusion.
    What exactly do you mean by this? I don't think a number of mock drafts having the Rams pick brown means people are acting like it's a foregone conclusion, just a likely selection.

I don't think anyone is ruling out the Rams surprising us on draft day. In fact some articles have even stated as much.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

The number of mocks that have us picking OT Brown at 19 (slot) is overwhelming.

It will be unusual if that is actually how it unfolds. I think we may have a number of trades before we pick and that may throw everything out of Kilter.

If you watch us at the end of the season and how easily our Defense got shredded, our Run Def was absolutely horrible (record setting horrible). That alone indicates to me that there are going to be some in the organization that will lobby for the 1st pick to be used on a DEF player, or to trade back and pick up additional picks that can be used for our multiple needs (OT, DB, DL, OG, etc)

I'm just saying it's possible.

And I'm saying that it is highly irregular for almost everyone (fans included) to be able to accurately pick not only who will be available but what the organization will do. Needless to say, if Brown is not there at #19, he won't be a Ram.

I have noticed in many mocks Barron (Fla St) is going earlier than he was 6 weeks ago.

The QB from Auburn has shot up the charts and I think he may be taken in the latter part of the first round (look for a trade). It's reasonable to think that some team has fallen in love with Matt Jones (ArK) and he could penetrate the first round. The uncertainty at the top of this draft lends itself to an unpredictable, possibly trade-happy first round.

I hope somewhere is the first 4 rounds we get a good Guard. Our interior OL didn't open up any holes or help out S. Jackson at all. Too often, coaches try to get by with chewing gum and Duct tape with the Centers and the Guards. I would like someone to get some push up front and open up those lanes for Stephen Jackson.

Of course, we need a ORT also.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

I have noticed in many mocks Barron (Fla St) is going earlier than he was 6 weeks ago.
    I'm not sure I agree with that. Barron is typically going around the 10-13 range in most mocks I've seen, which is pretty similar if not later than some earlier mocks, some of which had him going to the Dolphins @ 2, the Bears @ 4, or the Titans @ 6.

But regardless, the fact that so many mocks have Brown going to the Rams @ 19 just shows the kind of need we have at offensive right tackle. The only other need that could challenge for the top spot is safety, and most project that Thomas Davis won't be around at 19. If he is, I think he's the choice.
    Last edited by Nick; -04-20-2005 at 07:12 AM.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I can not remember the last time so many were predicting the same player (or position) would be taken by a team (Rams). I got Mel Kiper's report in the Early eighties when I had to drive to his house and get it from his father (no Joke).

Predicting the third pick (RD 1) is one thing, obviously, because the variables are so much smaller.

I have a hard time believing the Rams will get OT Brown with the 19th pick. Yet, everyone (including media outlets) is acting like it's a forgone conclusion.

How many predicted Steven Jackson would be our pick last year???
    How many predicted Jimmy Kennedy to us in Round 1?

I say get ready to be surprised like Gomer Pyle.. SUR PRISE, SUR PRISE, SUR PRISE. History is on my side.
    I'd say it would be more of a surprise if we did pick him. I mean the easy answer is to say it will be someone other than Brown. Leaves it open to anyone. All these mocks are doing is looking at team needs, player projections, and making their best guess. It's no big surprise that a lot of mocks have Brown going to us. In the opinion of these individuals, there's not more than one team above us that would select OT. Therefore, knowing our need for an OT and knowing that a top-tier OT would be available in Brown, that's the popular pick. And as far as trades, of course they're going to happen, maybe at record pace this year, but there's no way to predict that in the mocks.

Bottomline: Brown is a logical and some would say best guess. But the bigger surprise would be for the Rams to actually select him at #19, because as you said, who predicted Jackson and Kennedy?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

I think the Rams will take a saftey if one of the top two are available.
    How many of you think that if the Rams were to get Brown or Barron that they would start this season?
    Not in this system. We need someone who can make an impact from the get go. :ramlogo:
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

theodus69 is offline Registered User

OH, brown and Barron start right off the bat. That line we had last year, anyone could start and I mean now! the RT tackle position was but a shadow. Easy to run over a shadow, if it isn't your own! And the secondary? anyone they pick will start also! Give me either one , I don't care ! The unbelievable need at both POS's is very alarming! :tough:
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

How many of you think that if the Rams were to get Brown or Barron that they would start this season?
    I do.
    The complexity of this offense is not in the blocking schemes. IMO, the Patriots & Broncos have a more complex blocking scheme than we do. Now I don't think a rookie receiver could come in here from day 1. Even Holt took 13 weeks before he cracked his first 100 yard game. And of course, there's no way a rookie QB could grasp this offense from Day 1 (I mean Smoker has yet to see the field). But there's no reason a rookie lineman couldn't contribute.

Of course this is all just theory at the moment. The only 1st day OL drafted by Martz was St. Clair and he was promptly moved from C to RT, so who's to say with him.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

theodus69 is offline Registered User

I'm with HUB, They start no problemo!
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

viper is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMMAN68
    I think they could start. They would be expected to and we don't have much choice. It would be a good thing.