Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By berg8309
  • 1 Post By berg8309
  • 1 Post By AvengerRam
  • 1 Post By Judaxi

Thread: The REAL problem with the media and the draft

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

The REAL problem with the media and the draft

I've figured out the worst thing about the media's coverage of the draft.

Its not the unsubstantiated rumors, though that certainly is one of the biggest issues.

Its not the absurd hypotheticals that they feel the need to play out, though those certainly are annoying.

Its not even that their opinions are stated in absolutes, despite the uncertainty inherent in trying to predict how a bunch of 20-22 year olds will develop over the next ten years, though that aspect of their approach is certainly unfair.

The biggest problem can be summed up in one word: BUZZ.

BUZZ
    is the phenomenon that occurs when one person states an opinion (usually with a vague reference to a "source") and that opinion is then repeated, and repeated, and twisted, and built into hypotheticals, and repeated again.

The reason why BUZZ is dangerous is twofold. First, in our world today, it has become difficult, if not impossible, to distinguish reports of fact from opinions, rumors, speculation and fabrications that are presented as fact.

Second, and even more troubling, is that I believe that the media deliberately tries to create BUZZ because they are arrogant enough to believe that in doing so they can actually impact the outcome of the draft.

I know that sounds a bit crazy, but I honestly believe it to be true. I think the media believes that NFL decisionmakers base their decisions, at least in part, upon the "conventional wisdom" of how players are rated. By fanning the flames of criticism or praise, I truly believe the media (though they'd never admit it) thinks they can influence teams' views on players.

How insane is that. If you stop to think about it, the idea that NFL executives, scouts and coaches are looking to Mel Kiper, Mike Mayock, Todd McShay, Adam Schefter, Mike Florio, Mike Lombardi, Bucky Brooks, etc. etc. etc. to decide how to stack their draft boards could not be more absurd.

But I nonetheless stand by my statement.

The media thinks they are part of the process, rather than mere observers.

That is the problem.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -04-24-2012 at 12:54 PM.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Re: The REAL problem with the media and the draft

But would the draft be as exciting without it? I kind of doubt it, there probably would only be 1/4 the number of draft threads if the media weren't creating buzz. It's frustrating, but let's face it, kind of what draws us in too. Everyone like to try their hand at talent evaluation, and arguing over whether this guy or that guy projects better is a lot of the fun leading up to the draft, and then you get to see who, at that point, had it right.

Like I said, it can be frustrating, but it's all part of the fun to me.
    mde8352gorams likes this.

richtree is offline Registered User

It also seems like the draft is too late....NFL free agency starts too late as well.....

Players are making life changes and need time to adjust....

The OTAs are going and the draft still isn't here....

maybe I haven't thought this one out....but it seems like it is longer than it should be

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    It also seems like the draft is too late....NFL free agency starts too late as well.....

Players are making life changes and need time to adjust....

The OTAs are going and the draft still isn't here....

maybe I haven't thought this one out....but it seems like it is longer than it should be
    I always hate how long we have to wait for the draft, but maybe it's because that's how long teams feel they need to assemble a full draft board. We, the fans, generally focus on the first two or three rounds, and very few actually take the time to research the 4-7th round prospects thoroughly, as well as the undrafted free agents. The NFL teams need to do just that though, if they want to at least try to make a hit on a few of them. There are hundreds of players to review, and a very large draft board to make. I'd imagine it can take a while.

Plus they can't just focus on players for their team, advanced scouting of the players your opponents are grabbing is a good idea, so I'd imagine teams try to create a profile on most every player.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

How insane is that. If you stop to think about it, the idea that NFL executives, scouts and coaches are looking to Mel Kiper, Mike Mayock, Todd McShay, Adam Schefter, Mike Florio, Mike Lombardi, Bucky Brooks, etc. etc. etc. to decide how to stack their draft boards could not be more absurd.

But I nonetheless stand by my statement.

The media thinks they are part of the process, rather than mere observers.

That is the problem.
    When calculating based on the arrogance of the media, NOTHING is crazy. The per capita arrogance of those in the media has to be higher than in any other industry.........except maybe the court jester industries (music, TV, film, etc.)
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

I happen to think the NFL revels in this "buzz". Look at how the draft has evolved. I grew up in NY and always cut school the day of the draft to go to the Sheraton in NYC where it was held mid-week. No one except rabid fans paid any attention. Then it moved to Sat/Sun and was televised on ESPN. Now it has moved to Primetime. While I understand the frustration about the media's arrogance and how it makes us crazy sometimes, don't lose sight of the fact that the NFL loves this. What other sport has this sort of excitement over an off-season event? The closest is baseball's hot-stove league, but even that is an amorphous happening. Lastly, don't lose sight of the media's lust of content, both online and TV and print. I'm not trying to defend the media, but hopefully I've shed another perspective on this.

Go Rams!

I just don't subscribe to the notion that "there's no such thing as bad publicity."

Yes, we want the draft to be discussed and debated.
    Yes, we want some hype to build the excitement.

But what's going on now goes beyond that to a level that makes me want to unplug until draft day.
    Tampa_Ram likes this.

richtree is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I just don't subscribe to the notion that "there's no such thing as bad publicity."

But what's going on now goes beyond that to a level that makes me want to unplug until draft day.
    Indeed....SportsCenter is becoming the TMZ of sports....ESPN NEWS is where real sports fans go...

Rambos is offline Registered User

I still have not seen any validation that SJAX is not happy with his contract, his agent has not made a statement. Yet just now on ESPN they included that into factoring what the Rams should do... It's crazy, they just said should the Rams move up knowing that SJ is not happy with his contract. ESPN and the NFLN are just like TMZ (Gossip and Entertainment News) no more no less. These guys all want rating and they need something to sell... everyday.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

I respect your opinion about publicity and agree with it in some instances. But let's step back for a moment. If we were Packer or Giant fans would we be as affected by all this nonsense? I'd say no because our teams our doing very well and the draft is merely an event that we participate in to find players for today and tomorrow. As Rams fans we're much more immersed in this because we need so many better players for today. Plus at the #6 spot we're included in almost every discussion because it's the top 10. Bottom line, because its the Rams it gets our interest and accordingly our attention. I agree with you, let's get it on!

Go Rams!

You all need to also understand the source of my perspective. As many of you know, I'm an attorney. I spend most of my time litigating. In litigation, if you make a factual assertion, you'd better be prepared to back it up with evidence. If I were to say to opposing counsel or, worse yet, a judge, that my assertions are based upon "unnamed sources" I'd either be (a) laughed at, or (b) sanctioned.

The media can express their opinions to their hearts' content. But when they claim to have uncovered a fact, and then refuse to give any indication of the source of the "fact," it rubs me the wrong way.

And, yes... I get the whole "if I reveal my sources they won't talk to me any more," but that just does does not fly with me. Take, for example, Mike Lombardi's claim about Steven Jackson. If his source was Jackson himself, why would that need to be hidden? Surely, if Jackson wanted a new deal, he'd go (or his agent would) to the Rams front office first. He wouldn't whisper it to Mike Lombardi and say "but you didn't hear it from me." Neither would his agent. There'd be no point in doing that. Same goes for the Rams' front office. What would they have to gain by unofficially and anonymously leaking a story about Jackson wanting a new contract?

It comes down to journalistic integrity - a phrase that does not seem to have any meaning in the sports world.

But, just because they've abandoned these ideals, does not mean I have to do the same.

Rambos is offline Registered User

You all need to also understand the source of my perspective. As many of you know, I'm an attorney. I spend most of my time litigating. In litigation, if you make a factual assertion, you'd better be prepared to back it up with evidence. If I were to say to opposing counsel or, worse yet, a judge, that my assertions are based upon "unnamed sources" I'd either be (a) laughed at, or (b) sanctioned.

The media can express their opinions to their hearts' content. But when they claim to have uncovered a fact, and then refuse to give any indication of the source of the "fact," it rubs me the wrong way.

And, yes... I get the whole "if I reveal my sources they won't talk to me any more," but that just does does not fly with me. Take, for example, Mike Lombardi's claim about Steven Jackson. If his source was Jackson himself, why would that need to be hidden? Surely, if Jackson wanted a new deal, he'd go (or his agent would) to the Rams front office first. He wouldn't whisper it to Mike Lombardi and say "but you didn't hear it from me." Neither would his agent. There'd be no point in doing that. Same goes for the Rams' front office. What would they have to gain by unofficially and anonymously leaking a story about Jackson wanting a new contract?

It comes down to journalistic integrity - a phrase that does not seem to have any meaning in the sports world.

But, just because they've abandoned these ideals, does not mean I have to do the same.
    I understand where you are coming from I really do... I look at the end results. If reporters are reporting nonsense and they are wrong more then right I just tune them out completely and for me that's most of them.

On a side note I had jury duty awhile back and was selected to the jury. I have to say it was really interesting to see the process and participate in it.

Judaxi is offline Registered User

Honestly AV I hate what the media has become now adays. I studied journalism in high-school and college and what we have these days is no better than yellow journalism. I've hated Michael Lombardi for a while just because he doesn't seem to know much about football, but this has put me over the edge. Sjax has been nothing but a hard worker and an amazing leader, and what Lombardi is suggesting is pretty much slander to me.
    AvengerRam likes this.

md8
    md8 is offline Registered User

I haven't really paid much attention to the nfl these last 2 weeks, because the media does this every year. There is no new evidence on the rookies, yet suddenly player's draft stock is suddenly rising or dropping. BS reports on who teams are planning to draft (teams would be idiots to let this out). Star players going to be shopping during the draft.

Pretty much none of this stuff ever comes true. So either reporters lie about sources, or they spread crazy rumors they've heard but know isn't true, just to give themselves stuff to write or talk about.