Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

Rebuilding Rams, making room for young talent.

If Rams are rebuilding and losing why keep aging players that don't play well. Save cap space to pay for the good players.
    Name Position years in NFL
    1) Corey Chavous SS 11
    2) La'Roi Glover DT 13
    3) Chris Draft LB 10
    4) Trent Green QB 15
    5) James Hall DE 9
    6) Leonard Little DE 11
    7) Torry Holt WR 10
    8) Drew Bennett WR 8
    9) Jacob Bell G 5 Small
    10)Jason Craft CB 10

How much cap space can you make by getting rid of overage and overpaid by production. Could you get a Haynesworth or Peppers for that money saved and go younger in draft can't get any worse ! !

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Re: Rebuilding Rams, making room for young talent.

Well, yes, except the cap hit from releasing those players would wreak havoc with our ability to get better and younger over a number of seasons. Combine that with the cap numbers one player like Gross or Peppers are likely to have and you have a recipe to cripple your franchise. The Titans purged almost everybody in 2003 and had two terrible, terrible seasons, and incase you're wondering, we don't have a man who's been entrenched with the team for 13 years at the helm like the Titans did with Fisher. Sometimes it's best to keep these players until their cap numbers are such that they won't drastically hinder our ability to sign players in the near future.

Of that list, Jacob Bell and Drew Bennett will be Rams the longest for that very reason. In fact, I can see only Chavous and Glover as the only cuts this offseason.

I can't see why you'd want to release Craft, he was solid in the nickel this season. Green won't get cut because there's nothing better out there. Draft still has value as a backup. Little, Holt and Pace, who, curiously is not on your list, will likely all be Rams for one more year.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

An amateur's look at the potential cap consequences of cutting these players, based on what limited contract figures I can find...

Chavous: Probably won't be back, scheduled to count $2.8 million against the cap if he stays. If he's cut, I think we save $800k after factoring in the accelerated hit.

Glover: He's a free agent after this season so he won't have to be cut. Need to find more depth at DT though.

Draft: Not completely sure about his figures, but I suspect his cap number is around $1.75 million, and we may be able to save around $1.3 million if he's cut. Again, can't find detailed figures on him though so this one's a real guess.

Green: Again, can't find reliable cap figures but I'd estimate he's scheduled to count around $2.7 million against the cap. When factoring in the accelerated hit, we'd probably save $1.3 million.

Hall: Don't have contract figures for him for 2009, but from what I can see, we probably save about $1 million.

Little: Scheduled to count $7.6 million against the cap, but if we cut him, he'll still count for $5.1 million in dead money. It's a $2.5 million savings, but if we're still counting over $5 million against the roster for him, it might be better off keeping him.

Holt: Scheduled to count $10.2 million against the cap, I believe the Rams would save nearly $8 million against the cap by cutting him, which I anticipate they'll do if they can't rework that deal to lower his cap cost.

Bennett: The Post-Dispatch recently said that Cap concerns probably mean Drew Bennett stays. His '09 cap figure is $5.05 million, but with accelerated bonus charges, I believe it'd cost us nearly $2 million more against the cap to cut him.

Bell: Don't have precise figures on this one, but I'll tell you right off the bat that cutting a guy we just signed last spring to a $36 million contract is going to equal a cap hit, not cap savings.

Craft: Free agent, so no cap hit or savings.
    Ignoring Jacob Bell (because I don't want to guess about what he'd cost without better numbers, nor would the Rams cut him a year after signing him), my rough estimate based on the numbers I can find for the other players is a savings of $12.8 million against the cap by cutting Chavous, Draft, Green, Hall, Little, Holt, and Bennett. Keep in mind over half of that savings comes from cutting Holt alone.

But also keep in mind that by cutting those players, you need to find replacements for them. Which means finding (1) a new pass rushing DE to replace Little, (2) more depth at DE to replace Hall, (3) a reliable back-up QB to replace Green, (4) an additional starting WR to replace Holt, (5) WR depth to replace Bennett, (6) a starting SLB to replace Draft, and (7) a starting SS to replace Chavous. All of those things will cost money against the cap this season as well, so the savings will be much less when you factor in the Rams taking on those new contracts.

If I were the Rams, I would look into cutting Holt, Chavous, and Green as well as trying to reduce Little's cap number somehow. Draft and Hall would stay; I doubt the savings from Draft and Hall would be enough to warrant cutting them since you'll probably spend as much replacing them. And there's no sense taking a hit on Bennett at this point, but maybe he can rework that deal. I would think about resigning Craft for depth, but Glover needs to retire.
    Last edited by Nick; -01-15-2009 at 09:32 AM.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Holt: Scheduled to count $10.2 million against the cap, I believe the Rams would save nearly $8 million against the cap by cutting him, which I anticipate they'll do if they can't rework that deal to lower his cap cost.

Bennett: The Post-Dispatch recently said that Cap concerns probably mean Drew Bennett stays. His '09 cap figure is $5.05 million, but with accelerated bonus charges, I believe it'd cost us nearly $2 million more against the cap to cut him.
    So from a pure fiscal position, the more-than-obvious answer is to cut Holt and keep Bennett.

Ain't NFL economics a female dog?!?!
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I'd cut them all. We were 2-14.....2-14. Throw caution to the wind. No salary cap after next year anyway and who knows what the cap will be....estimates say that it may increase by 28 million anyway. I even cut Pace if we are going to draft the OT from Alabama.

We haven't had a winning season since I had hair (well, not that far back) but how much worse could it get?

richtree is offline Registered User

Thumbs up Re: Rebuilding Rams, making room for young talent.

C. Draft -- 3/19/2007: Signed a three-year, $4.28 million contract. The deal included a $1.3 million signing bonus. 2009: $1.225 million (+ $100,000 workout bonus), 2010: Free Agent

Trent Green -- 3/10/2008: Signed a three-year, $8.9 million contract. The deal included a $2.1 million signing bonus. 2009: $1.5 million (+ $500,000 roster bonus), 2010: $2.4 million (+ $500,000 roster bonus), 2011: Free Agent

Dante Hall -- 2008: $1.9275 million, 2009: Free Agent

Torry Holt -- 7/18/2003: Signed a seven-year, $42 million contract. The deal included an $11.5 million signing bonus. 2009: $6.65 million, 2010: Free Agent. Cap charge: $10.205 million (2009).

Leonard Little -- 11/19/2006: Signed a three-year, $19.5 million contract extension through 2009. The deal includes $9.5 million guaranteed. 2008: $830,000 (+ $7.17 million "signing bonus"), 2009: $845,000 (+ $1.6 million in bonuses), 2010: Free Agent

Jacob Bell -- 3/3/2008: Signed a six-year, $36 million contract. The deal contains $13 million guaranteed, including a $7 million signing bonus. His base salaries in years one and two are guaranteed. 2009: $4 million, 2010: $5 million, 2011-2013: $6 million, 2014: Free Agent

Drew Bennett -- 3/3/2007: Signed a six-year, $30 million contract. The deal contains $10 million guaranteed, including a $7.5 million signing bonus. 2009: $3.3 million, 2010: $3.7 million, 2011-2012: $4 million, 2013: Free Agent. Cap charges: $5.05 million (2009), $5.45 million (2010), $5.75 million (2011-2012).

Marc Bulger -- 7/27/2007: Signed a six-year, $65 million contract extension through 2013. The deal contains $27 million guaranteed, including a $12 million signing bonus. 2009: $6.5 million, 2010: $8.5 million, 2011-2012: $9 million, 2013: $11.5 million, 2014: Free Agent. Cap charges: $8.5 million (2009), $10.5 million (2010), $11 million (2011-2012), $13.5 million (2013

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Richbert...that yellow burns retinas

richtree is offline Registered User

I edited soon as I saw the color....

Its weird because when you type a reply the background is dark blue but when you go to the thread it is the golden background

But its all adjusted -- contract figures for anyone who wants to read them

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

One thing to note about Holt is that, given the $ figures, other teams will likely not offer much to trade for him. Why should they, when there is a good chance the Rams will release him anyway?

keith m. klink Guest

Bruce then Holt . huh

39thebeast is offline Registered User

This isn't Madden, the top 2 guy on your list are as good as gone. Everyone else except Holt IMO are here to stay for a little longer

jbell15 Guest

most likely to be cut will be holt and pace
    dante hall and glover are fa's
    chavous will hopefully retire
    we can franchise atogwe
    that leaves just bartell to lock up and HOPEFULLY enough cap room to sign a bigtime free agent like gross or suggs.
    along with a viable no. 2 or three receiver