View Poll Results: Which Receiver?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Justin Blackmon (OSU) 6'1 210lbs. (1st Round)

21 53.85%
  • Alshon Jeffery (SC) 6'4 235lbs. (1st Round)

12 30.77%
  • Michael Floyd (ND) 6'3 218lbs. (1-2 Round)

6 15.38%
  • Jeff Fuller (A&M) 6'3 215lbs. (2nd Round)

0 0%
  • Ryan Broyles (OU) 5'11 185lbs. (2nd Round)

0 0%
  • Juron Criner (Arizona) 6'4 210lbs. (2nd Round)

0 0%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Which Receiver Would You Want...

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Re: Which Receiver Would You Want...

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Or he could be the Mike Williams of this draft, if those conditioning concerns are accurate.

Two things here.

One, I think the "premature celebration" criticism from the A&M game is bunk. I've watched the replay numerous times, and all we can see is him trying to exchange the ball to his outside hand and he loses it on the transition. It's not as if he was highstepping with the ball outstetched and lost it.

Two, since your opinion on Blackmon and his upside is very different from what many (if not most) analysts believe, can you provide some detailed specifics as to why you feel that way? For instance, I've highlighted some areas of concern I have with Floyd that I think are going to limit him at the pro level, and I'd be happy to elaborate on them. But I'm curious why specifically you feel Blackmon's pro upside is just a "good #2"?
    Blackmon has nice speed and plays bigger than he is. He toys with DB's and can make the big plays we lack. He is a willing blocker and a solid overall player. I do like him. I just prefer the other WR's over him (Jeffery, Floyd).

I don't think he will be able to play with CB's like he does in college. He needs to get rid of the diva attitude. He also has some questionable hands, dropping some passes; last thing we need right now.

All in all I think he will be a Steve Smith (Panthers) type of guy. He will have a big game where he caught a big pass. Then the next few games you wont hear his name too often.

Just my take. I do like him, and if he's the last one left, I'd like to pursue him. I just prefer Floyd and Jeffery over him.

xkidflowx is offline Registered User

alshon all day... 6,4-6,5 receiver with decent speed.. i yet to see the rams through a fade route in the end zone to any receiver in the past decade LOL..... either pound it in with sjax and no td or just field goal.. if we got a 6,4 speciman with a high vertical.. fade route to him or pound it in with a rb.. just more options with 6,5 receiver..

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I don't think he will be able to play with CB's like he does in college.
    This is vague. What specifically do you mean by this?

He also has some questionable hands, dropping some passes; last thing we need right now.
    Couldn't disagree more. He's had some drops in the past, but I think calling his hands "questionable" is an overreaction. Blackmon, IMO, has very strong hands and is consistently aggressive in going after the ball when it's in the air. When you consider how many receptions he made last year, and that he's on pace to match or exceed that number this year, I'd rank his hands as one of the better areas of his game, actually.

All in all I think he will be a Steve Smith (Panthers) type of guy. He will have a big game where he caught a big pass. Then the next few games you wont hear his name too often.
    If anyone has been able to maintain consistency as a receiver thus far in his career, it's been Blackmon, so this strikes me as a pretty bold prediction.

Did you get the chance to watch Floyd against Purdue? Do you agree/disagree with the points I made? How do you see Floyd being able to overcome these issues at the next level to become a successful top receiver?

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Tampa_Ram View Post
    Just to show what people are talking about with Jeffery being fat, apparently the first picture was takin in offseason and he couldnt work out and stuff for some reason and this is the result(hes obviously #1)

Now this is a current picture from last weeks loss against Auburn

So he showed that he can get into shape when it matter. (hes the one in the backround)

For me i'd be fine with either Jeffery or Blackmon in the early 1st. I wish and pray and hope Floyd drops into the 2nd cause of the 3 DUI's. But im not sure its gonna happen, if hes not picked by the 25th pick i say we trade up and grab him. I want at least 1 of the big 3.

Im not at all concerened with any of the diva talk with Blackmon, maybe we need a little bit of diva on this team to give us some life?
    Ive been thinking, and at first, blackmon was my #1 dream guy, but slowly, Jeffery has come in to steal half my heart as well. Theres just something about a calvin johnson/andre johnson type receiver that gets me all warm and fuzzy. dont think i still dont love blackmon, id love to see him in a rams uni. but right now at this moment, im torn 50/50 with them. both can make big time plays, the quarterback just has to throw near them and they both can get it. the only reason Jeffery hasnt takin the lead in this battle is cause there have been a couple times when playing against good CB's he hasnt produced, and blackmon, regardless who hes playing, always is steady and consistent and makes the catch and play and gets open. I love em both. im gonna wait till end of the season and till the combine comes around before i can truly give all my love to one or the other, right now ill take either of them.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

Couldn't disagree more. He's had some drops in the past, but I think calling his hands "questionable" is an overreaction. Blackmon, IMO, has very strong hands and is consistently aggressive in going after the ball when it's in the air. When you consider how many receptions he made last year, and that he's on pace to match or exceed that number this year, I'd rank his hands as one of the better areas of his game, actually.

If anyone has been able to maintain consistency as a receiver thus far in his career, it's been Blackmon, so this strikes me as a pretty bold prediction.

Did you get the chance to watch Floyd against Purdue? Do you agree/disagree with the points I made? How do you see Floyd being able to overcome these issues at the next level to become a successful top receiver?
    By no means am I calling Blackmon bad. I just like you see dominance. He is performing at a very high level right now. I just prefer Floyd. Blackmon to me is the type of player that will thrive off of the big play in the NFL. He doesn't have great top end speed either. His routes are O.K, and though I said his hands are questionable, I didn't mean it like that. Just a minor problem in the past. I noticed that this year his hands look better too.

Pros :

1) Fast
    2) Strong
    3) Good hands
    4) Playmaker
    5) Knack for the endzone

Cons:

1) OK routes (needs to improve in NFL)
    2) Not great top end speed
    3) Not exactly big (6'1)
    4) Diva

I just prefer Floyd. I think his great hands, great blocking skills (Key), good route running skills, and ability to go up and get the ball will be better in the NFL. Floyd is a solid all around WR.

Pros:

1) Good routes
    2) Solid hands
    3) Ability to go get the ball in the air
    4) Very good blocker
    5) Big (6'3)

Cons:

1) DUI's -> off the field problems
    2) Speed

You know, it basically comes down to, if we selected Floyd, Jeffery or Blackmon, would anyone who wanted a top tier draft wr be upset? were arguing over what wr we personally want, but if we got any of the big 3, would anyone of us truly be upset? I know some people prefer one over the other and etc. some think Jeffery is god, some think Blackmon is the playmaker of them all, some think Floyd is the most consistent and most well rounded. We are argueing about which is better, and only about Jeffery, Blackmon and Floyd. so ill truly ask and seek your opinion:

If we drafted Jeffery, Blackmon or Floyd, would any of us truly and honestly be upset?

I know some might be, but i really think the majority of us will just be happy to just of picked a top tier wr.

so whats your answer?
    ZiaRam likes this.

You know, it basically comes down to, if we selected Floyd, Jeffery or Blackmon, would anyone who wanted a top tier draft wr be upset? were arguing over what wr we personally want, but if we got any of the big 3, would anyone of us truly be upset? I know some people prefer one over the other and etc. some think Jeffery is god, some think Blackmon is the playmaker of them all, some think Floyd is the most consistent and most well rounded. We are argueing about which is better, and only about Jeffery, Blackmon and Floyd. so ill truly ask and seek your opinion:

If we drafted Jeffery, Blackmon or Floyd, would any of us truly and honestly be upset?

I know some might be, but i really think the majority of us will just be happy to just of picked a top tier wr.

so whats your answer?
    Agreed. I've kind of been hinting towards that. I will be very happy if we take any of them. There is 2 reasons for this. One is because I think all 3 of those WR's will be good in the NFL and will make it in this league. Two is I'll be very pleased that we finally made a true effort to help Sam in the WR corps.

richtree is offline Registered User

so whats your answer?

Yes, Blackmon is NOT a top tear NFL WR....unless he runs in the 4.4's I don't think he is worth a top 20 pick over Jeffery or Floyd

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    Yes, Blackmon is NOT a top tear NFL WR....unless he runs in the 4.4's I don't think he is worth a top 20 pick over Jeffery or Floyd
    why you think that? especially with blackmon being ahead of jeffery in many peoples mind, and floyd not being a top 10 pick at this moment?

i just wanna know why you think that is all.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

By no means am I calling Blackmon bad. I just like you see dominance. He is performing at a very high level right now. I just prefer Floyd. Blackmon to me is the type of player that will thrive off of the big play in the NFL. He doesn't have great top end speed either. His routes are O.K, and though I said his hands are questionable, I didn't mean it like that. Just a minor problem in the past. I noticed that this year his hands look better too.

Pros :

1) Fast
    2) Strong
    3) Good hands
    4) Playmaker
    5) Knack for the endzone

Cons:

1) OK routes (needs to improve in NFL)
    2) Not great top end speed
    3) Not exactly big (6'1)
    4) Diva

I just prefer Floyd. I think his great hands, great blocking skills (Key), good route running skills, and ability to go up and get the ball will be better in the NFL. Floyd is a solid all around WR.

Pros:

1) Good routes
    2) Solid hands
    3) Ability to go get the ball in the air
    4) Very good blocker
    5) Big (6'3)

Cons:

1) DUI's -> off the field problems
    2) Speed
    This is all well and good, but I don't think you answered any of the questions I posed in my response, so that's kind of a bummer.

But addressing what you did post, I really disagree with route running being a pro for Floyd and a con for Blackmon. If anything, I think it should be the other way around. And again, I say that having watched both in the past, but most recently having specifically keyed on Floyd against Purdue.

What I saw in that game was a lack of explosion off the LOS and little explosiveness when making his cuts, rounding off of his routes, and a lack of separation on his part. There were times when Floyd was open, but it was mostly because the Purdue defense was playing loose coverage, not because he made a quick or explosive cut or ran a precise route.

I will continue to watch him (and the other top WR prospects) through the year, but I would not list route running among his strengths. I think a more appropriate list for Floyd would be...

PROS
    1) Size
    2) Strength/physicality
    3) Hands
    4) Leaping ability
    5) Run blocking

CONS
    1) Speed/separation
    2) Route running
    3) Consistency
    4) Off-the-field (DUIs)
    5) Injuries/durability

Don't get me wrong, Blackmon has his negatives as well. As you pointed out, he's not a speedster by any means. But what I see when I watch him is someone who plays faster in pads, someone who shows the kind of explosiveness and agility to gain that separation through his route running rather than simply being faster than everyone.

With Floyd, I don't see that, nor do I see the pure speed on the field. So I'm left rather concerned as to how Floyd is going to separate from NFL defenders. I think that's a big question mark, especially the route running considering he's spent four years on the field for Notre Dame and IMO it's still an issue.

Hard to say in October. Most fans at this time last year wouldn't have been upset had their team spent a top ten pick on Adrian Clayborne, but that changed by April. I will say this - I'll be happy if the Rams actually make the position a priority this offseason.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Round 1: Blackmon
    Round 2: Broyles

I don't think Blackmon will out muscle defenders (Asomugha as an example) like he does at the college level. He is a lot bigger than these guys. I think in the NFL they will game plan around him. Bartell vs Blackmon.

"Couldn't disagree more. He's had some drops in the past, but I think calling his hands "questionable" is an overreaction. Blackmon, IMO, has very strong hands and is consistently aggressive in going after the ball when it's in the air. When you consider how many receptions he made last year, and that he's on pace to match or exceed that number this year, I'd rank his hands as one of the better areas of his game, actually."

I didn't mean it like that, sorry for putting it in a incorrect sense. Like I said I do believe his hands are improved and there not a big issue at all. He just had some strange drops which could always come back, though I don't believe this should be a problem.

"If anyone has been able to maintain consistency as a receiver thus far in his career, it's been Blackmon, so this strikes me as a pretty bold prediction.

Did you get the chance to watch Floyd against Purdue? Do you agree/disagree with the points I made? How do you see Floyd being able to overcome these issues at the next level to become a successful top receiver?"

I think the biggest negative with Floyd is that at times he doesn't care. I think with proper coaching he will be excellent. He does round off on some routes, and on some runs he just doesn't even care enough to go block anybody.

To me the only problems with Floyd are speed (not a big issue), does he play with passion?, and his off the field issues.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Round 1: Blackmon
    Round 2: Broyles
    Now this is something I wouldn't really like. I prefer for us to go

Round 1: Blackmon, Floyd, or Jeffery
    Round 2: Jeff Fuller

I don't see a need at all for a slot WR here. Danny, Salas, and even Pettis can play slot.

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    So Al Davis if this statement is true where does this leave Torry Holt at? 7th pick. not a 4.4 guy...I'd say I'd pick Holt again if I was going to do things all over.

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

So what if the guy drinks a couple of kegs, he obviously doesn't show it.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast