Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Chase the Eagles Fan is offline Registered User

Re: Recievers don't get you to the superbowl !!

Sorry to bust some of your bubbles here...but your screaming for Crabtree with two former Eagles coaches as your top dogs...

Have fun waiting for that "elite" wide receiver...you still have Torry Holt and you guys JUST got Donnie Avery...with all the other areas of need on your team I doubt that Spags and Shurmur are going to consider wide receiver worthy of the pick here...

Say hello to either Andre Smith, Eugene Monroe or Michael Oher for me when you guys select them...then I think you guys will go for a right corner in the second if you don't pick one up in free agency.

Dominating D is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Chase the Eagles Fan View Post
    Sorry to bust some of your bubbles here...but your screaming for Crabtree with two former Eagles coaches as your top dogs...

Have fun waiting for that "elite" wide receiver...you still have Torry Holt and you guys JUST got Donnie Avery...with all the other areas of need on your team I doubt that Spags and Shurmur are going to consider wide receiver worthy of the pick here...

Say hello to either Andre Smith, Eugene Monroe or Michael Oher for me when you guys select them...then I think you guys will go for a right corner in the second if you don't pick one up in free agency.
    Your assuming that Spags has 100% control over who is selected.... I believe he does have a say but not full control.....

When was the last time the Eagles selected an offensive lineman with a top 5 pick?

I understand the philosophy but when you have the 2nd overall pick the Rams need to consider all options.

When was the last time we had a Top 5 pick?

When Reid got here..he had the 2nd overall pick and selected Donovan McNabb. I'm sorry there are no Donovan McNabbs in the this draft...his first big free agent acquisition was Jon Runyan...the year before Ray Rhodes and company drafted Tra Thomas...so the first thing Reid did was sure up the offensive line...by signing Jon Runyan and drafting guard John Welbourne...

one of the few times we moved up in the draft under Reid ever was to get Shawn Andrews...our second highest pick was in 2005 (I think it was like #16 overall or something) and we selected DT Brodrick Bunkley in the first and OT Winston Justice in the second (slaps forehead)...after the draft Reid said that if they didn't select Bunkley or if Bunk was off the board there pick in the first was going to be Justice and that they were overjoyed when he fell to them in the second.

When was the last time we had a Top 5 pick?

When Reid got here..he had the 2nd overall pick and selected Donovan McNabb. I'm sorry there are no Donovan McNabbs in the this draft...his first big free agent acquisition was Jon Runyan...the year before Ray Rhodes and company drafted Tra Thomas...so the first thing Reid did was sure up the offensive line...by signing Jon Runyan and drafting guard John Welbourne...

one of the few times we moved up in the draft under Reid ever was to get Shawn Andrews...our second highest pick was in 2005 (I think it was like #16 overall or something) and we selected DT Brodrick Bunkley in the first and OT Winston Justice in the second (slaps forehead)...after the draft Reid said that if they didn't select Bunkley or if Bunk was off the board there pick in the first was going to be Justice and that they were overjoyed when he fell to them in the second.
    I know this year they have no McNabbs, Rynyan, Pace, or Dominate Defensive Lineman worthy of the 2nd overall pick. So the Rams do have to consider Crabtree or Curry. I would love for them to select a dominate OT for years to come but this years TACKLES are not WORTHY....

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    Crabtree should not be our first priority going into this draft.
    Agreed, but ultimately it's going to come down to how the big board is stacked and who has what grade. IMO the Rams' biggest priority this offseason is the OL. But if by April, the Rams war room doesn't view the OTs as good value picks and cant orchestrate a trade down, you have to stay true to your board and your evaluation process.

That's fine, but we really don't know how significantly Spags or Shurmur were influenced by the Eagles' draft philosophy. I don't think the philosophies of the teams they're coming from is necessarily going to be duplicated here, especially when you already have a strong knowledgeable GM in Devaney who also has a clear vision of what he wants to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Agreed, but ultimately it's going to come down to how the big board is stacked and who has what grade. IMO the Rams' biggest priority this offseason is the OL. But if by April, the Rams war room doesn't view the OTs as good value picks and cant orchestrate a trade down, you have to stay true to your board and your evaluation process.

That's fine, but we really don't know how significantly Spags or Shurmur were influenced by the Eagles' draft philosophy. I don't think the philosophies of the teams they're coming from is necessarily going to be duplicated here, especially when you already have a strong knowledgeable GM in Devaney who also has a clear vision of what he wants to do.
    I trust Devaney will get it right. He will take talent over need with the 2nd overall pick. He will use the latter rounds for need....

Go Rams

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Dominating D View Post
    I trust Devaney will get it right. He will take talent over need with the 2nd overall pick. He will use the latter rounds for need....

Go Rams
    I don't think it's as black and white as taking talent over need. I think he'll take talent that also fills a need. Fortunately there seems to be a lot of talent at a couple of positions we really need - OT, LB, CB, WR. I suspect the Rams are really going to have to dig deep into these guys when trying to rank them on their final big board.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Yes, he will be sacked. He won't have enough time to wait for Crabtree or Avery to get downfield when the o-line can't give him more than 3 seconds of solid protection.
    Of course though, in the WCO, he won't need as much time as he has under Martz and Linehan/Saunders.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

SJacks039 is offline Registered User

Jerry Rice and the whinners
    GSOT BRuce, Holt and company
    Fitzgerald and the cardinals
    Moss and the Patriots
    The great wr casts gone to the superbowl
    Rice was something else
    GSOT we played a hurt titans D and once we faced that NE D they shut us down
    Moss and the pats were stopped by The Giantes
    Cards played the Steelers D and i knew they would have to score 30 to win because theyre D is not very good. They let up a Td at the end Just like the Pats last year and the rams let up a FG at the End of the Pats SB
    So what I'm sayin is yea the WR can help you get there but a good D will make stops when you need them.Therefore win you a SB. I think we should start in the trenches or somewhere on the D. I think that is an obvious opinion.

I like crabtree i just dont want to be the lions who could never get the ball to their WR's and they were making bad picks. So lets try and play it as safe as possible and hope someone really wants crab so we can trade back and get an extra pick or 2 and still get top 10 player in the draft(raji,jenkins,or curry)

Quote Originally Posted by SJacks039 View Post
    The great wr casts gone to the superbowl
    Rice was something else
    GSOT we played a hurt titans D and once we faced that NE D they shut us down
    Moss and the pats were stopped by The Giantes
    Cards played the Steelers D and i knew they would have to score 30 to win because theyre D is not very good. They let up a Td at the end Just like the Pats last year and the rams let up a FG at the End of the Pats SB
    So what I'm sayin is yea the WR can help you get there but a good D will make stops when you need them.Therefore win you a SB. I think we should start in the trenches or somewhere on the D. I think that is an obvious opinion.

I like crabtree i just dont want to be the lions who could never get the ball to their WR's and they were making bad picks. So lets try and play it as safe as possible and hope someone really wants crab so we can trade back and get an extra pick or 2 and still get top 10 player in the draft(raji,jenkins,or curry)
    Obvious opinion for who...... YOU......

Sorry, I am not buying what your selling. Honestly, I am not trying to be rude but your examples were very lame and vague.

Why must everyone use the Lions as an example when selecting a WR. Can anyone come up with another example when discussing why not to select Crabtree....

Do we have to ignore that those who support selecting Crabtree can also use the following examples:

Fitzgerald and the Cardinals
    Owens and the Eagles
    Moss and the Patriots
    Marshall and the Broncos
    Johnson and the Texans

Did these teams offense not peak when these players put up Big Time numbers???

Having a Dominate Defense alone will not always win a Championship. Balance tends to be the best reciepe.

Moss and the Pats were stop by the Giants. The catch had nothing to do with the Giants win. The drive that put them up had nothing to do with the win. The dominate Pats D had nothing to do with the Giants winning. Do not be fooled if they played that game 100 times the Pats would have won 99 out of 100. The Giants were better on that day and that is why we all watch the game cause on any given SUNDAY....

Go RAMS

I mean wide receivers are play makers...they get all the glory and the guys that you mentioned deserve to get that glory...

But I don't think they make your team a Championship caliber team...

The Patriots were good well before Moss and Welker got there..they got rings without them and none with them...

Owens did not get the Eagles to the Super Bowl. We had gone to the NFC Championship game 3 years in a row before he even got here...and we could never win in that game and advance...T.O. was injured for the playoffs and had nothing to to do with our win in the NFC Championship game that year..Freddie Mitchell was our #1 in that game. Owens helped us look dominant in the regular season and got us to where we got without him for 3 years in a row.

Peyton Manning has had Harrison and Wayne for years now and has one ring...they got that ring when the defense finally started playing well...and Joseph Addai was the real MVP of that Super Bowl...

you gotta bake the cake before you add the icing...quarterback, offensive line, defense...if a wide receiver gets a 10 catches a game he had a good game...on offense your getting like 50-60 snaps...the receiver is seeing 10 of them on a REALLY good day...

Is it worth it?

Owens helped in our journey to the Super Bowl but we lost to the team with Deion Branch and the better defense.

Randy Moss helped the Pats go undefeated and had one of the best seasons production-wise any wide receiver ever had...he lost to the team with a a lesser wide receiver and the better defense. Moss in his prime with Dante Culpepper couldn't get into the Super Bowl

Fitzgerald was the SOLE reason however that the Cards got the Super Bowl this year and he was drafted 3rd overall...his rookie contract has expired and now Fitz is the highest paid receiver in the league and NOW it pays dividends...hell this was the first time they got to playoffs in how long? Anyway, he lost to the team with Santonio Holmes (25th overall) and the better defense.

Andre Johnson and Brandon Marshall have never seen the playoffs.

If your getting to the playoffs and not making it...hell an elite wide receiver could get you a chip...that's why I wouldn't be opposed to the Eagles trading both first round picks and Lito Sheppard to move up and get Crabtree (according to the trade value chart...a 21st and 28th can get us up as high as the 8th if there are any takers)...

But a wide receiver is not a building block to make a bad team good IMO.

SJacks039 is offline Registered User

Yea i was talking about an obvious opinion for me. I'm not including anyone else.
    Was David Tyree a top 3 reciever in the draft?The pats avg. 36.8 points/game they scored 14 in the SB so if the patriots would have had one more Wr they could have scored 20? Ur not makin sense.The G-men don't have a chance if they don't put together a good scheme and tear the best Oline in 2007 apart(all spags)
    No the D doesnt always win it and i dont have any numbers to prove what I'm sayin so call me an idiot. But i see what i see and It seems to start with defense and a good running game for superbowl winning teams.

Do we have to ignore that those who support selecting Crabtree can also use the following examples:

Fitzgerald and the Cardinals
    Owens and the Eagles
    Moss and the Patriots
    Marshall and the Broncos
    Johnson and the Texans
    I'm not sure i follow i thought we were talking about winning superbowls not just getting there and losing after having a big game(owens,fitz,moss). Not numbers. I never said our team was going to suck if it took crabtree i just think a good foundation for a team in shambles starts with physicality on D and on the OL. Again MY OPINION. not speakin for anyone cept me.

But a wide receiver is not a building block to make a bad team good IMO.
    I agree no matter what you need some good line play. However, did the Steelers win the Championship cause they had the best Offensive Line in the league? I have to say NO

Who exactly was the MVP of the Supebowl? OOOPPPSSS I'm pretty sure it was a WR Holmes and if the Cards would have won it most likely would have been Fitzgerald or Warner?????

Maybe starting with the WR is not the best way to build but it seemed to work for the Cardinals. Just because you draft a playmaker in round 1 does not mean you have to ignore the defensive or offensive line.

If using high draft picks was a building block for the trenches then the Rams should have the most dominate Defensive Line in the NFL with all the high picks we've used on the DL. Unfortunately, this is not the case.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

"Recievers don't get you to the superbowl" but "Receivers" might!

Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

ha, I didn't even notice that.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast