View Poll Results: Which "Red Flag Rule" Is The Most Valid?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • If he's not a first rounder on the field, no workout can change that.

12 30.77%
  • Small school players are unlikely to make the jump to the NFL.

0 0%
  • Never draft a guy with a criminal record.

0 0%
  • System matters. Players from college-set offenses don't make good NFL players.

2 5.13%
  • Swagger's fine, but unearned arrogance is the kiss of death.

3 7.69%
  • Despite medical advances, don't take a guy who has torn an ACL.

0 0%
  • Don't stray fom min/max height and weight criteria.

0 0%
  • Tweener = likely bust.

1 2.56%
  • Speed matters: it can't be taught, so if its not there, take someone else.

2 5.13%
  • Don't buck the experts; diamonds in the rough are just too rare.

0 0%
  • Labels like "lazy" and "poor work ethic" can't be ignored.

19 48.72%
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Red Flag Rules: How Do You Spot Potential Busts?

Which of the following "red flag rules" do you think should be followed to avoid ending up with a first round draft bust?

richtree is offline Registered User

Re: Red Flag Rules: How Do You Spot Potential Busts?

One rule I use is:

On a scale of 1-10 what is the possibity this player is a product of a great system?

(Picturing a really good player, in a great system, on an average team, in an average system)

For example, If Mark Ingram played for a team like Washington, would he still be a 1st rounder?

This is a tough poll because I (and probably most people) can think of two or three players who were exceptions to most of these rules.

I was tempted to go with number 1, which deals with pure "workout warriors" but, in the end, I went with the "unearned arrogance" rule. While there have been some really players who have put up some good NFL #s, a large percentage of them are ultimately not worth the trouble.

richtree is offline Registered User

haha., sorry Av , poll wasn't up yet....I bet you can guess what option I voted for!!!

lol

AtlantaRamFan is offline Registered User

So many good ones...I went with a workout..too many "workout warriors" shoot up the draft boards this time of year but don't play the same with the pads on. To me, it's all about the game tape and what they did on the field. Work ethic is probably just as important (see: Albert Haynesworth) but it wasn't an option. I wouldn't touch someone with work ethic red flags with a ten foot pole.

general counsel is offline Registered User

i voted for #1. This is a great poll. Another good one is players switching positions. That is a big red flag for me. Probably the best predictor is performance in the interview and alas, that is something that fans dont have access to. At the end of the day, if the guy doesnt have the correct work ethic or mental makeup he is a bust waiting to happen because physical talent alone wont get it done at the nfl level. Super talented guys can excel in college on the man vs. boys theory, but that wont work in the nfl.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaRamFan View Post
    Work ethic is probably just as important (see: Albert Haynesworth) but it wasn't an option. I wouldn't touch someone with work ethic red flags with a ten foot pole.
    You know what, that is a really good one! I'm adding it to the poll and giving it a vote on your behalf!

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Gotta go with #1. How many track stars have we drafted to play corner? How many heavy lifters have we seen bust at defensive end? Kyle Boller could throw a ball 60 yards through the uprights from his knees.

Runner-up is work ethic followed by criminal record. The reason criminal record isn't higher is that one is riddled with exceptions. I think Pisa had a criminal record but was one of the highest character guys on the team.

The small school rule would be the one I disagree with most. Small school guys who are good enough to get drafted early don't seem to bust that often, perhaps because they wouldn't have been taken so early if there was any doubt.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Yeah, the small school one is completely bunk, just like the college system players. You think SW Missisippi State played a pro style offense when Jerry Rice was there? Obviously, you need to look at the system that they played in, but I think the college system rule really applies more to certain positions than overall. If it was a spread system, then obviously the tackles will have played a lot more pass protection and in a two point stance(Jason Smith), and the quarterback would mainly be in shotgun. Wideouts would have caught a lot more balls. In a power system, then it'd be very much the opposite. For instance, that's why Julio Jones could possibly be a much better pro than college player; he wasn't the focus of the offense. The run game was.

Oh, my vote? Work ethic. The stars in college are those with amazing abilities. The stars in the NFL are those with great wortk ethic.
    I believe!

Ram Mar Ram is offline Registered User

Work ethic and "lazy" cant be ignored ... talent is one thing but if they cant be arsed maximising their talent, it hurts the team when players know there teammate is only going through the motions to collect a paycheck.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I voted for the first one, but there were a lot of good ones.

In my opinion, the only choices I'd seriously discount are Small School players and the Experts. The rest of them are all pretty valid reasons not to draft somebody. In order of importance, it comes down to play on the field, work ethic off of the field, and then things like unearned arrogance / criminal behaviour.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

I voted for the lazy one. Although several others deserve strong consideration, I've found that lazy players with poor work ethic are pretty much never good players. Sometimes those workout warriors do ok, sometimes the primma donnas are worth the trouble, system players can adjust if they are smart and talented. A lazy player? Haynesworth was great until he lost his motivation, now he's a sack of fat that isn't worth the trouble he brings. Russell had the arm to be a QB, but his complete lack of work ethic doomed him and made him unable to play at the NFL level.

I just can't think of guys that don't put the time in, and yet are brilliant stars anyway.