bruce4life is offline Registered User

Regarding the bench Reps at the Combine...

Why do they even take how many reps they do at the combine at 225? They should tryiing to see how much in overall weight a player can do in a 2-3 rep max, or even the 1RPM max. When your dealing with reps over 15 in overall strength training then you are accounting for the length of your arms. Forearm development, and tricep definition. The most repetitions does not really calculate how strong you are. So to say for instance Eugune Monroe can only do 25 reps( forgot how many he did) whos to say he can max more than Jason Smith. Certain bodies have limits when they get up to more reps. Or some people get up for repping just that 1 rep.

What do you guys think in my assessment?

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Regarding the bench Reps at the Combine...

I agree that a max bench or something like that might be a better indicator of overall upper body strength, but because of the potential for injury, it's unlikely that something of that nature is implemented.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

I know that they have people spotting constantly but these players are still usng their backs and some leg muscles to put up those last few reps

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bruce4life View Post
    When your dealing with reps over 15 in overall strength training then you are accounting for the length of your arms. Forearm development, and tricep definition. The most repetitions does not really calculate how strong you are.
    Except, both of these guys have virtually equal length of arms. Better development and definition generally indicates a more dedicated approach to strength training and more reps in equally sized men typically indicates this. These guys know they are going to be put to this test long before they get to the combine. I would venture to guess, the guys that shine have been working at strength training more than others that do not do as well.

RedArcher7 is offline Registered User

The number of reps indicate muscle endurance. It shows teams how much the guy's been hitting the weight room through his college career. It's impossible to put up great even sometimes good numbers in 2-3 months work.
    Last edited by laram0; -02-23-2009 at 11:01 AM.

unorthodox1999 is offline Registered User

if i was looking to pick somebody up and the combine DiD have a max rep set, i probably wouldnt even pay attention to it anyway(it wouldnt hurt if they started doing it though)...how many reps they can do at a certain weight solely relies on the players endurance level and in my opinion could say alot based on how much that players momentum decreased over a period of time, and how much work theyve been putting in up until now..

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RedArcher7 View Post
    The number of reps indicate muscle endurance. It shows teams how much the guy's been hitting the weight room through his college career. It's impossible to put up great even sometimes good numbers in 2-3 months work.
    Exactly, endurance and overall upper body strength is tested. I doubt very much that a guy that does less reps than another at the 225 level is going to outlift the other guy at a one time maximum weight.

225 lbs is generally used as the base weight to gain strength and move up to the next level.