RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Regardless of what you think. Rams had good day

Alot of people including myself planned on drafting Jamaal Anderson in the First Round and trading our second round pick to Carolina for Kris Jenkins.

Well, we drafted Adam Carriker in Round 1, Brian Leonard in Round 2 and Jonathan Wade in Round 3.

So, the draft didn't go as planned but the Rams obviously believe we didn't need Kris Jenkins.

Alot of speculation going around from reporters and Linehan is that we plan on playing Carriker at Defensive Tackle. He is rumored to be able to gain 20 points to his frame and not lose a step, if so he'd be 310lbs and doesn't lose a step why wouldn't we be able to try and evolve the Defensive Tackle position and show you don't need a big tackle to hold up blockers, why couldn't we have two tackles which penetrate and make plays in the Backfield? I mean, if your pushing the offensive lineman back and into the running back they won't get anywhere. Carriker was a great pick, regardless of what it appears. I believe the Rams will give Kennedy another shot, but still draft a Defensive Tackle tomorrow.

This is what the Defensive Line will probably appear in certain situations.
    Passing Downs:
    RE Hall
    DT Carriker
    DT Wroten
    LE Little

Rushing Downs:
    RE Carriker
    DT Kennedy
    DT Wroten
    LE Little

Other than Kennedy, looks solid.

Onto Leonard. Why do you guys not like this pick? He is actually a big play threat, and is a very good blocker. What if we would have drafted Pittman? or Hunt? Would you have been mad? Leonard is a great example of a Team Player and a Football Player. He played multiple positions and like I said is a big play threat. See his highlight videos', If Linehan was really worried about the Defensive line he would have panicked and taken one as a reach, to be honest there wasn't alot of good value on defensive tackles where we picked.

And Jonathan Wade. He's not the biggest guy on the field at 5'10" but is one toughest and quickest. Who would have thought Tye Hill would have excelled in his first season? Wade will be a fill in for a year or two but within' 3 years I believe he'll start. He makes some great plays, and will give up a play or two.

We filled 3 Needs, a Pass Rushing Defensive End and Run Stopping DT (Carriker (Nothing like killing two birds with one stone)) a Backup to Jackson (Leonard) and CB depth and eventual starter (Wade).

This was a very good first day, and tomorrow will be better.

:l

RamsFan16

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Regardless of what you think. Rams had good day

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16 View Post
    Carriker was a great pick, regardless of what it appears.
    I think most people would agree with you, but your post has an implication of a big negative reaction about Carriker. I think the majority opinion is popular and are happy he was our pick.

If Linehan was really worried about the Defensive line he would have panicked and taken one as a reach, to be honest there wasn't alot of good value on defensive tackles where we picked.
    There was exceptional value at defensive end, and the best center was still on the board. Leonard is a fine prospect and will likely be very good as a situational runner spelling Jackson, but there was definitely other value to be had at that selection, and I would contend higher rated players at equally questionable positions.

Would we have ultimately been better off taking Kalil and a DE like Robinson (or even moving up for Johnson) in round three, or taking Crowder and a RB like Hunt in the third? I'd feel a lot better about our mediocre pass rush if we'd have done that instead of taking Leonard and a cornerback and throwing the edge rush to the fates of tomorrow.

We filled 3 Needs, a Pass Rushing Defensive End and Run Stopping DT (Carriker (Nothing like killing two birds with one stone))
    Unless you're cloning him and putting both of them on the field, then no we did not fill two needs with one player. He's either one or the other, he can't play both.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Rambos is offline Registered User

Good post 16, I agree we got better today as a football team period. The D-line is bigger and we got a hell of a football player.
    SJ will not have ot carry the load and we have a two big backs.
    Wade ,was one if not the best player on the board. Whats not to like, day two still to come.

BigGameMN is offline Registered User

I can live with the first 2 rounds but picking Wade makes me sick. Living down here in SEC country I saw him play a good bit and I wasn't impressed. He gets lost on the field and he doesn't like contact. I thought we were through taking small corners who couldn't tackle.

RealRam is offline Registered User

I think most people would agree with you, but your post has an implication of a big negative reaction about Carriker. I think the majority opinion is popular and are happy he was our pick. -- Nick

A-b-s-o-l-u-t-e-l-y! I'm thrilled we got AC!

16, I'm surprised you twice refer to a "regardless" feedback tactic in you post. As in ... 'Regardless of what I think?'

Below is what I posted earlier in the 2007 Draft Discussion Thread:

VERY pleased with DL Carriker! :r

:r ...I also like RB Leonard very much. Seems to have excellent character and team approach. We may have found a mature rookie in this hard nose player.

Now that Jax is off to the races as our main power back, I think Leonard will fill in nicely for Stephen Davis as a second power runner -- and good receiver too -- along with Madison Hedgecock as our big FB, i.e., Hit man or, if you prefer, our Hammer. Leonard and Hedgecock just may turn out to be our Rams version of ironman Mike Alscott and former Cornhusker Tom Rathman, a strong punch combo to help Jackson have a great year. With whomever else makes it at RB depth, I'm really excited and have high hopes for our running game this year!

CB Jonathan Wade. Don't know much about this Volunteer other than he's a true speedster, ex Track/WR athlete, has good character, and that he still needs plenty of football academics in order to develop in the NFL. Long term Ram project or sleeper surprise for our D?

Welcome New 2007 Rams! :l

Kane is offline Registered User

I don't have a problem with anyonethat we've drafted at the moment, although I was a bit surprised to see a CB taken in the 3rd round. Carriker should be a good aquisition, but my concern is that he can't play NDT and RE at the same time! Kennedy does not strike me as an NFL starter and I'm not sure about Hall either.

I was expecting a LB to be picked up early in the draft. Again, I'm not sure about Chillar as a starter and we certainly lack depth at LB generally.