• 1 Post By Barry Waller
  • 1 Post By Barry Waller
  • 2 Post By Barry Waller
  • 1 Post By Nick
  • 1 Post By Nick

Thread: Remainder of Free Agency? Here Are Some Names Snead/Fisher Know Well

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

Remainder of Free Agency? Here Are Some Names Snead/Fisher Know Well

The Rams added $775,000 to their cap space by cutting a TE, and now they are at about $4 million left.

So you know they are looking to sign a couple guys, I'd say a safety (Mikell) a CB, or an OLB.

The first place I would look is in Atlanta and Tennessee, because NFL GMs and Coaches go after guys they KNOW first when looking for low cost options.

However, looking at those two teams that Snead and Fisher know so well, there isn't much there, as they kept most of their young guys.

There is CB Brent Grimes in Atlanta, who, especially with the Tru Johson situation, could be a real valuable addiion. However, Grimes has been going for big money, long term, but at 29, maybe he will take a one year deal with Snead, knowing he will get plenty of playing time to try to get a bigger deal in a year.

In Tennessee:
    You have DT Tony Brown coming off a big deal at 32,
    You have 26 year old DT Sen Derrick Marks
    You have G Kevin Mathews , 26
    You Have LB Gerald McGrath. 26
    You Have CB Ryan Mouton 26

I like McGrath, and I think Fisher does too. He drafted him in round 4.
    Mouton was a third rounder in 2009. He's liitle but fits as a slot CB

Mathews was signed by Fisher as a free agent his last year in Tennessee, and he is the son of Bruce Mathews.

Fisher drafted Marks in 2009 in round two. He might be too pricey for the Rams needs.
    ManofGod likes this.

Barry Waller

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Re: Remainder of Free Agency? Here Are Some Names Snead/Fisher Know Well

I'd prefer Mikell; he struggles a bit in coverage but he's one of the better in the box safeties in football. I doubt he'll re-sign though after we cut him

Mikell was well respected here, and loved playing here, and was paid a very large amount of money here.
    I think he would love being back, at the right cost for both he and the Rams. These guys know it is a business, and Mikell won't get any huge deal anywhere, more like what Dahl got, maybe $500,000 per yr more.
    Nick likes this.
    Barry Waller

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Waller View Post
    Mikell was well respected here, and loved playing here, and was paid a very large amount of money here.
    I think he would love being back, at the right cost for both he and the Rams. These guys know it is a business, and Mikell won't get any huge deal anywhere, more like what Dahl got, maybe $500,000 per yr more.
    Well Craig Dahl was only signed to a 3 yr 5.2 million contract, so I'd be willing to offer Mikell a 2 year deal worth around 5 or 5.5 million

TekeRam is offline Registered User

A 2 year deal worth $5 million is too much based on our cap, which we still need to expand for rookies, the 52nd and 53rd players, and then any moves during the year. I'd think about offering a 1 year deal for $2M, which is a bit more than what Dahl got per year.

I really would like to look at FS early in the draft and play Stewart at SS. We can get a bargain vet or two for depth and camp. Or another draftee.
    I believe!

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Remainder of Free Agency? Here Are Some Names Snead/Fisher Know Well

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    A 2 year deal worth $5 million is too much based on our cap, which we still need to expand for rookies, the 52nd and 53rd players, and then any moves during the year. I'd think about offering a 1 year deal for $2M, which is a bit more than what Dahl got per year.

I really would like to look at FS early in the draft and play Stewart at SS. We can get a bargain vet or two for depth and camp. Or another draftee.
    True that Teke, we still got to sign our draft picks ( about 4-6 mill. ) and we need room for injuries and such during season. We be done in fa I assume especially in any Mikell arrangemen

The Rams have till July to clear cap to sign draft picks, and only the top three will truly have cap impact, about $4.5 million if they keep both #1 picks. The rest will replae guys making the same on the top 51 that count.

THe Rams can spend every bit of the $3.77 million or so they have now, on veterans, and can easily clear more later forthe draft and any space they want to save.

Every guy signed for 2 years or more can have his 2013 salary guarateed to save cap.

I see the Rams signing one $2 million first year cap guy on a 2 or 3 year deal (Mikell), maybe 4 just tospread the cap hit, and then a couple one year veteran deals at a million or so each veteran minimum.
    Rammed and Vinnie25 like this.
    Barry Waller

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Bringing Mikell back would be nice if the price is right.

Justin Durant of the Lions might be worth a look at this point in free agency. He doesn't have the direct Fisher/Snead connection but has played solid ball the last two years as a SAM 'backer under Fisher disciple Schwartz in Detroit.
    Rambos likes this.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Bringing Mikell back would be nice if the price is right.

Justin Durant of the Lions might be worth a look at this point in free agency. He doesn't have the direct Fisher/Snead connection but has played solid ball the last two years as a SAM 'backer under Fisher disciple Schwartz in Detroit.
    I would prefer to sign Durant over Mikell. Durant is only 27 and would be a nice fit. I don't think a box safety is all that hard to replace. SAM backer's are harder to find in the draft these days.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    I would prefer to sign Durant over Mikell. Durant is only 27 and would be a nice fit. I don't think a box safety is all that hard to replace. SAM backer's are harder to find in the draft these days.
    I've been a fan of Mikell, but if it's one or the other, I'd probably agree. You could argue Mikell's replacement is already on the roster in Stewart, and the strength of this draft class is by far better at safety than it is at SAM 'backer.
    Rambos likes this.