Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Report: Browns 'pretty likely' to attempt to trade up to No. 2

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Report: Browns 'pretty likely' to attempt to trade up to No. 2

Per rotoworld:

The Cleveland Plain Dealer's Mary Cay Cabot considers it "pretty likely" that the Browns will attempt to trade up to No. 2 to select Baylor's Robert Griffin III.

"If the Browns determine at the Combine next week and maybe through one or two more visits that RGIII is their man, I don't think they would hesitate to give up their No. 4 and their No. 22 to pull off this deal," said Cabot. "... It's almost a perfect match. I think at this point it's very likely that could happen." Cabot's high level of confidence is a bit surprising after speculation that the Browns don't consider RGIII an ideal fit for the offense. We're convinced the Heisman winner will go No. 2 overall, however.
    Please, Cleveland.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Re: Report: Browns 'pretty likely' to attempt to trade up to No. 2

Quote Originally Posted by THOLTFAN81 View Post
    Per rotoworld:

Please, Cleveland.
    It may look like a good deal on the draft value chart, but Im hoping for some team's to compete for him, it could push the price up, for Griffin.? The combine is going to play a huge part in this. For my theory to have a fighting chance, we need some of the WOW Factor from RG3.

CRAZYHORNS is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by GROUND DOG 39 View Post
    It may look like a good deal on the draft value chart, but Im hoping for some team's to compete for him, it could push the price up, for Griffin.? The combine is going to play a huge part in this. For my theory to have a fighting chance, we need some of the WOW Factor from RG3.
    I agree 100%

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

If this deal happens, as I hope it does because that would almost assure us getting Justin Blackmon, Cleveland may not be willing to part with their #22 pick. I think they want that pick for Kendall Wright, to give RGlll his old receiving partner. That will pair nicely with Greg Little whom they selected last year. Instead I think Cleveland may want to give us their 2nd, 3rd/4th round picks plus maybe a pick from 2013. I have no problem with that. I feel we are better served with more picks in rounds 2-4. This is a deep draft and we can benefit from more picks in the mid-rounds. Of course all this will sort itself out after the Combine and the Pro-Days that follow.

Go Rams!

CRAZYHORNS is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post
    If this deal happens, as I hope it does because that would almost assure us getting Justin Blackmon, Cleveland may not be willing to part with their #22 pick. I think they want that pick for Kendall Wright, to give RGlll his old receiving partner. That will pair nicely with Greg Little whom they selected last year. Instead I think Cleveland may want to give us their 2nd, 3rd/4th round picks plus maybe a pick from 2013. I have no problem with that. I feel we are better served with more picks in rounds 2-4. This is a deep draft and we can benefit from more picks in the mid-rounds. Of course all this will sort itself out after the Combine and the Pro-Days that follow.

Go Rams!
    I really want that 1st round pick so the rams can shore up a WR, OT, and the BPA on the defensive side with the top 33 picks. That would be a instant upgrade to all of the positions that we need.

But I will settle for thier 2nd round. Still some great value at that spot.

Go Rams
    Last edited by CRAZYHORNS; -02-18-2012 at 05:10 PM.

Rammed is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post

Go Rams!
    The fourth pick doesn't assure us of Blackmon chances are the Vikes might like him. So it would either be Kalil or Blackmon at 4. As for not giving up their 22 in the package I think that's a highly unlikely scenario. My guess it will be more then just their 2 1st rounders.

Never been this excited for a player at the combine that don't want. Hope he WOWs as mentioned earlier.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

AtlantaRamFan is online now Registered User

Yeah the Browns would like to keep their other 1st like I'd like a new Ferrari. Not going to happen. Especially if the Colts can keep Manning. There are going to be a handful of teams that need a QB and all it takes is 2 for a bidding war. Ideally I'd like to see the Rams pick up a very good WR in FA so they don't get locked into Blackmon in the first. Redskins, Jags and Dolphins all need a QB and if we can rob one of those teams blind, I'd rather do that and move down a few more spaces. I think the Browns must know that so if they think they can get away without giving up a first they're insane. If the Rams do decide to trade the pick, they should be able to stockpile picks in this draft and the next.

With that said, I do think the Browns would be the best trade partners. If they make a competitive offer (assuming there is a market for RG3) I would love to only move down 2 spots. I think the Rams will have to keep their options open though if the Browns aren't offering much.

Quote Originally Posted by Rammed View Post
    The fourth pick doesn't assure us of Blackmon chances are the Vikes might like him.
    I have yet to see any mock draft projection of the Vikes taking Blackmon, so I think if we drop to #4 we're safely assured of being able to draft JB, barring a complete disaster at the Combine or his Pro-Day.

Go Rams!

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaRamFan View Post
    Yeah the Browns would like to keep their other 1st like I'd like a new Ferrari. Not going to happen. Especially if the Colts can keep Manning. There are going to be a handful of teams that need a QB and all it takes is 2 for a bidding war. Ideally I'd like to see the Rams pick up a very good WR in FA so they don't get locked into Blackmon in the first. Redskins, Jags and Dolphins all need a QB and if we can rob one of those teams blind, I'd rather do that and move down a few more spaces. I think the Browns must know that so if they think they can get away without giving up a first they're insane. If the Rams do decide to trade the pick, they should be able to stockpile picks in this draft and the next.

With that said, I do think the Browns would be the best trade partners. If they make a competitive offer (assuming there is a market for RG3) I would love to only move down 2 spots. I think the Rams will have to keep their options open though if the Browns aren't offering much.
    A couple of points, I don't think Manning stays in Indy plus you have to figure Matt Flynn into the QB FA sweepstakes. Also, why do the jags need a QB when they traded up last year to take Gabbert. Not a QB needy team. We also need to remember David Garrard the Jags former QB may be available in the FA market if his health holds up. So there are a few QB's out there, not saying they are all equal value. We may decide to take Cleveland's #22 pick and then if the players we covet aren't there at that point trade it for more picks later on. I just want a bushel of picks because we have a few holes that we need to fix and getting top talent is essential. We cannot play the Devaney/Zygmunt game of trying to find "diamonds in the rough" during the later rounds. I think we all know that is not path we've had much success with. I don't think Fisher is willing to risk that path either.

Go Rams!

AtlantaRamFan is online now Registered User

Oops, forgot about Gabbert good call.. As far as Flynn you're right some team will pick him up, but it's hard to know how much GM's think of Flynn since he only play a couple of games. There are a few teams that could use an upgrade at QB outside the top 10 IF Manning is cut, so it's not guarantee he would dilute he pool but we'll see. Nothing is certain until it happens, and there has been talk of Manning reworking his contract. Also I don't think any team could justify passing up on RG3 for Garrard if they need a long term solution. It's possible that the Dolphins pick up Flynn, the Redskins pick up Manning (or the other way around) and the trade value drops. But that's just as likely as the opposite happening.

If hypothetically, the Panthers put Cam Newton on the trading block, they would be able to get a whole lot of picks/players. I've seen several draft "experts" grade Griffin higher than Newton coming out so I don't think it would be unrealistic for the Rams to ask for (and receive) two first. Hopefully Griffin can do enough at the combine to convince Cleveland he's worth it but I have a feeling he'll put up some pretty impressive numbers.

UKRAM85 is offline Registered User

I don't see a team signing manning immediately, if he was somewhere near being fit surely the colts would have looked at re-signing him ?? I am hoping that there is a competitive market for RG3, this should be enable us to get multiple picks in this and future drafts.In order to get the extra pick from cleveland maybe we could bait the 33rd pick in and take there second round pick (37ish?)

richtree is offline Registered User

I think the quick success of Cam Newton has overvalued RGIII.....Matt Barkley's absence from the draft also is giving this kid more credit than he is due...

He isn't as good an athlete as Michael Vick and he will measure at 6ft or so, just like Vick....He isn't that freak athletic talent with Vick's combo or speed and juke moves....

He also doesn't have the strength of Cam Newton/Big Ben....That leaves us with a 6ft QB than needs to be accurate the way Drew Brees is....and that's not happening.....

I am glad I am not in the Browns situation....because I would NO WAY wasted the #2 or #4 pick on this kid and I would focus on building a team and adding a QB that is in the league (vet/flynn/manning/etc) until I can get someone worth investing a long term deal into....

Teabow showed that an organization drafting a QB that isn't very accurate or a natural passer can be a long developmental process with many headaches to come......

RGIII will be an expensive project with many, many headaches along the way.....

Obviously, he is still probably an upgrade over Colt McCoy...but I would rather have Matt Flynn or even
    Colin Kaepernick.....

Is RGIII really anything different than Terrell Pryor ??????????????

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post

He isn't as good an athlete as Michael Vick and he will measure at 6ft or so, just like Vick....He isn't that freak athletic talent with Vick's combo or speed and juke moves....
    Everyone knows my love for MV7, but this statements ludicrous. RGIII had the option to become an olympic hurdler...enough said on his athletic ability.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Everyone knows my love for MV7, but this statements ludicrous. RGIII had the option to become an olympic hurdler...enough said on his athletic ability.
    More than that, his entire argument is ludicrous. RG3 is a better passer now than Vick thinks that he is. RG3 is a little less of a runner than Cam Newton, just liek Cam is a bit less of a passer than RG3. The kid has ability to break for it at the same time he has the ability to put a pass on a dime.

Whether or not he's going to succeed in the NFL, well I don't care. He's shown himself to be dangerous throwing and running, and that is why he's worth a bounty at #2, and the Colts will have to at least look at him over Luck. He is that good as a prospect.
    Last edited by TekeRam; -02-21-2012 at 01:29 PM.
    I believe!

richtree is offline Registered User

Yeah, and he is still as frail as a hurdler....

Vick is once in a generation athlete --- RGIII is a system guy....with good speed...

RGIII DOES NOT HAVE A ROCKET ARM CLOSE TO VICK, NEWTON, OR EVEN PAT WHITE....

TOO MUCH RISK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast