Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Report: Browns willing to trade up in draft for Manziel

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Report: Browns willing to trade up in draft for Manziel

Report: Browns willing to trade up in draft for Johnny Manziel

• By Chase Goodbread
    • College Football 24/7 writer
    • Published: Jan. 19, 2014 at 02:02 p.m.
    • Updated: Jan. 19, 2014 at 02:15 p.m.

The narrative linking the Cleveland Browns to Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel went even deeper Sunday when a report surfaced that the club would be willing to trade up to get the dynamic Aggies star.
    This from cbssports.com:
    "... they are willing to trade up to land Johnny Manziel in the draft if need be, sources said, and have an owner, Jimmy Haslam, who is committed to spending their abundant cap space to try to win quickly."
    Although this is far from the first time the Browns' interest in the quarterback has been reported, it is the first indication that Cleveland might like him enough to trade up from the No. 4 overall pick to get it done. Its flexibility to do so is strong, given the club has a pair of first-round picks. The Houston Texans, St. Louis Rams and Jacksonville Jaguarspick ahead of the Browns. The Texans and Rams have both indicated they might have an interest in trading back, so theBrowns might not find it tough to make a move up.
    A number of teams drafting early in the first round have a need at quarterback, according to NFL Media analyst Daniel Jeremiah's look at each club's biggest needs. Those include the Texans, Jaguars, Browns, Oakland Raiders, Minnesota Vikings and Tennessee Titans.
    If Cleveland's reported interest in Manziel is merely a ploy to draw more trade interest in its own pick from other clubs, the disguise is beginning to look pretty obvious. Sometimes the smart fish swim past the shiniest lures.

Re: Report: Browns willing to trade up in draft for Manziel

The question is who are they going to trade up with, the Texans or the Rams?

AtlantaRamFan is offline Registered User

If the Browns really are that interested in Manziel, then all they're doing is driving the price up for the Rams pick. It's going to do is make the other teams in the top 10 realize where they need to be (Ahead of the Browns, at least) if they want Manziel. Obviously this is smoke and mirrors seasons, but I sure hope that there is one QB (seemingly Manziel) who gets hot enough that teams fight to trade up.

And Vinnie, even if for some reason the Browns were to trade up to the #1 spot with the Texans, the Rams would then be in even better a spot as they would then be able to trade the rights to draft Bridgewater, who I think most people agree is the top QB in the draft.
    Vinnie25 likes this.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie25 View Post
    Report: Browns willing to trade up in draft for Johnny Manziel
    Someone make sure to let their new coach know, whenever he's hired.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Lol exactly, but the way the Broncos moved the ball today it's looking more and more likely that it's going to be Gase as their next head coach.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaRamFan View Post
    And Vinnie, even if for some reason the Browns were to trade up to the #1 spot with the Texans, the Rams would then be in even better a spot as they would then be able to trade the rights to draft Bridgewater, who I think most people agree is the top QB in the draft.
    I agree, either way the Rams will have some good options to trade down. I personally would rather have the Browns trade with us though because I want that extra 1st rounder this year, not a future 1st rounder.
    ManofGod and Haste like this.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Looks like it's down to...

Daryl Ruiter @RuiterWrongFAN
    Follow

Said Friday #Browns were "blown away" by Dan Quinn (Sea DC) & Mike Pettine (Bills DC); I rank them as the top 2 candidates now
    "They want you to cook the dinner; at least they ought to let you shop for some of the groceries. Okay?"
    Parcells

I don't see either of these guys buying any of the groceries. They would be glad to have a HC job.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I'd rather have two first rounders this year and two first rounders next year rather than 3 this year and 1 next year. No flexibility that way.

If any of this Browns stuff is true, a trade down where we could pick up their #4 pick, their 2nd rounder (#36), and their first next year is what I'd be willing to do it for.

THE DREAM TEAM

general counsel is offline Registered User

I would have no problems going from 2 to 4 to pick up cleveland's #2 this year and #2 next year if that is the best offer. The reason i say that is i assume we would get the same guy at #4 that we would have gotten at #2 (mathews) and gained some quality picks. I see no reason to stay put at #2 to take matthews. Sure, it would be great to get a #1 next year, but no reason to be greedy about it. If we want clowney, it might be a different story, but i am not sure.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Randart is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    I would have no problems going from 2 to 4 to pick up cleveland's #2 this year and #2 next year if that is the best offer. The reason i say that is i assume we would get the same guy at #4 that we would have gotten at #2 (mathews) and gained some quality picks. I see no reason to stay put at #2 to take matthews. Sure, it would be great to get a #1 next year, but no reason to be greedy about it. If we want clowney, it might be a different story, but i am not sure.ramming speed to allgeneral counsel
    Not me GC I want that first and they can throw in the second this year and bonus picks plus the first for next year too! I am Very Greedy & Needy! LOL

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    Sure, it would be great to get a #1 next year, but no reason to be greedy about it.

general counsel
    Of course there's a reason to be greedy about it. And I expect nothing but the absolute best deal possible at all times, from our front office.

One thing I better not ever hear Les Snead say is, "they wanted to give us another 1st, but I said nah, I'd feel to guilty".
    Last edited by Fortuninerhater; -01-20-2014 at 04:48 PM.

demiurge is offline Registered User

All the talk from the Texans owner that they'd 1) be willing to trade and 2) are really interested in Manziel is probably just trying to get themselves into position to make that lucrative trade out of #1. Be a ***** to trade up to #2 and not get the guy you want.

And of course that means that almost no one will trade up to #2 before the beginning of the draft, because they could still be leapfrogged.

HATING the fact that the draft is a month later this year. The suspense is killing me. LOL.

punahou is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie25 View Post
    Lol exactly, but the way the Broncos moved the ball today it's looking more and more likely that it's going to be Gase as their next head coach.
    Brian Schootmeinthefootheimer would look like a star as Denver's OC. In Denver's case I dont think its the OC that should be getting the credit for success, but rather the players in the offense.

Peyton + Thomas + Moreno/Ball + Welker + very good Oline would make most OC seem like a genius.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by punahou View Post
    Brian Schootmeinthefootheimer would look like a star as Denver's OC. In Denver's case I dont think its the OC that should be getting the credit for success, but rather the players in the offense.

Peyton + Thomas + Moreno/Ball + Welker + very good Oline would make most OC seem like a genius.
    The Broncos have an OC on the field. Peyton Manning.....
    MauiRam likes this.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by demiurge View Post
    All the talk from the Texans owner that they'd 1) be willing to trade and 2) are really interested in Manziel is probably just trying to get themselves into position to make that lucrative trade out of #1. Be a ***** to trade up to #2 and not get the guy you want.

And of course that means that almost no one will trade up to #2 before the beginning of the draft, because they could still be leapfrogged.

HATING the fact that the draft is a month later this year. The suspense is killing me. LOL.
    My issue with this whole thing is why would Cleveland tip their hand this early in the process? Seems like smoke to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast