Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By FestusRam

Thread: Report: Tyrann Mathieu admits to failing more than 10 drug tests

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Report: Tyrann Mathieu admits to failing more than 10 drug tests

Report: Tyrann Mathieu admits to failing more than 10 drug tests
    By Josh Katzowitz | NFL Writer
    April 12, 2013 10:49 am ET

Mathieu was dismissed from LSU in August 2012. (USATSI) Tyrann Mathieu was dismissed from LSU in August 2012. (USATSI)

As former LSU cornerback Tyrann Mathieu continues to visit with teams in preparation for the NFL Draft, more details of his once-hazy college misdeeds continue to surface.

An NFL assistant coach told USA Today about a conversation a team had with Mathieu during his pre-draft visit.

“During one visit, Mathieu was asked how many drug tests he failed before he was suspended in college,” wrote USA Today. “According to an assistant coach for the team, Mathieu responded: ‘I quit counting at 10. I really don't know.'”

Later in the day, Mathieu responded through LSU's sports information department.

According to the release, "Mathieu said the story does not accurately reflect the discussions that he has had while on official visits to various NFL organizations."

“It is irresponsible and shows a lack of integrity for anyone to disclose medical information regardless of how it was gathered,” Mathieu said. “I would expect that conversations regarding my drug testing history during the course of my medical treatment would be private. LSU has a strong drug testing program and LSU went to great lengths to help me in my treatment and recovery. I understand that many people enjoy reading about the negative side of sports, but to publish those second-hand comments without being given a chance to address that comment prior to the publication of the article is irresponsible.”

It should be noted, though, that Mathieu necessarily doesn't dispute what has been reported, namely that he said he stopped counting after 10 failed drug tests.

Mathieu said at the NFL Combine that he has been drug-free since October.

“I've been to rehab. I have counseling. I have a sponsor," he said in February. "I know what it's like to be humiliated. To go back down that road? Not a chance in my lifetime."

After having a good workout at the combine and then later at his pro day, he's most likely giving that same message to the 10 or so NFL teams that he has met with.

As his agent says, Mathieu is treating these visits like job interviews and trying to present himself as a professional. And if that means being completely honest about his past transgressions, that's what needs to happen.

But 10 failed drugs tests? Should we be looking at what the heck was going on at LSU?

"If he flunked 10 tests before they suspended him, it shows that he got no kind of help," the anonymous coach told USA Today.

“LSU has a strong substance abuse program that tries to identify and assist in the treatment and long term recovery process of drug use and abuse, and it is a program we would put up against any in the country,” said Joe Alleva, LSU's athletic director: “Once a substance abuse problem is identified, LSU is diligent in tracking those individuals over extended periods of time with frequent testing and engages them in meaningful opportunities for support through counseling and substance abuse treatment.”

Said LSU coach Les Miles at the time of Mathieu's dismissal from the team last August: “He gave us a lot of examples that we can learn from, and I think that he's a quality, quality guy who had a behavior issue and that's it.”

But what does this mean for Mathieu's future in the league?

NFLDraftScout.com ranks Mathieu as the 12th-best cornerback in the draft and projects him as a third-round pick.

Ten failed drug tests seems a lot. But if teams are just now hearing about Mathieu's reported revelation, that would be an even bigger surprise.

diehard99 is offline Registered User

Re: Report: Tyrann Mathieu admits to failing more than 10 drug tests

Like Jenkins last year, Mathieu is the best secondary playmaker in this years draft.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I think Mathieu is A LOT more mature than Jjenkz at this point last year, we'll see how it plays out.

THE DREAM TEAM

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Tyrann was interviewed on espn radio yesterday, and was asked specifically about the "quit counting over 10" remark he allegedly made. He denied that he ever specified a particular number, but admitted to multiple offenses.

What is more important than the number of offenses in the past, is where his head is now. Did he eventually get the right help, and has the "light" finally gone on for him? Hopefully the answer is yes ..

diehard99 is offline Registered User

Not too shur if fish would actually draft mathieu or not I just think he fits in well with Finnegan, Jenkins and Johnson. 4th corner, punt returner and kick coverage with outstanding instincts and ball skills-- worth the risk?

Randart is offline Registered User

As I have stated in other threads the combo of Eric Reid and Tyrann would be a possiable home run. They played off each other in the past and were a real good combo. I think he (the Honey Badger) is well worth the risk, as I am confident in Fish and Snead to keep him on the bright path. Nice to have guys with instant chemistry especially as we have many holes to fill yet on our roster.

jmk321 is offline Registered User

I'm sure a lot of his draft potential potential has to do with what drugs he tested positive for. It shows stupidity to fail a drug test that many times but if the only drug he used was weed then I'm all for drafting him. If its anything more than that then take a pass on him until maybe the 6th or 7th round.

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post

“I've been to rehab. I have counseling. I have a sponsor," he said in February. "I know what it's like to be humiliated. To go back down that road? Not a chance in my lifetime."
    What a joke! Counseling for weed? I understand this is about his image but its just pathetic that we make such a deal about a trivial thing like marijuana while alcohol is legal. I digress...
    Torry Holt likes this.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by FestusRam View Post
    What a joke! Counseling for weed? I understand this is about his image but its just pathetic that we make such a deal about a trivial thing like marijuana while alcohol is legal. I digress...
    Regardless of your personal view on it (I have personally never smoked it, but don't care if others do), it is still not allowed by the NFL, and failed drug tests means he would be off the field. Yes yes, I know, Janoris Jenkins, but everyone is different, just because one person stopped doesn't mean the other will too.

Also, it might take counseling for some. It may not be physically addictive, but the stuff can be mentally addictive. I've seen people fail drug tests they knew were coming up because they couldn't stop for even a week. I mean seriously, how do you not just stop when you know you have a test? That implies to me a deeper rooted habit than one that can just be tossed aside at will. I mean heck, people have trouble not biting their finger nails, and need assistance with that, why would weed be different?

The important thing is for Tyrann to realize his career is more important than smoking out, and much more lucrative too. Once his playing career is over, he can smoke himself silly if he wants.

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by berg8309 View Post
    Regardless of your personal view on it (I have personally never smoked it, but don't care if others do), it is still not allowed by the NFL.
    I know it is. Its completely understandable that the NFL bans its. Its illegal. That's not what I was talking about. I'm talking about the whole view of it, but I don't want to get too off topic. But, I'd have a hard time drafting a guy who failed more than 10 times and didn't even care to remember how many times exactly.