Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    rams_man13 is offline Registered User

Reported Bucs/Rams Trade Discussion

The Bucs and Rams have reportedly explored a deal that would send the No. 3 overall pick, a third-round pick, and QB Josh Johnson to St. Louis for the first overall selection.

The Bucs would then draft Ndamukong Suh with the No. 1 pick. According to Scout.com, the Rams compare Johnson to Michael Vick athletically, and they believe he has even more upside as a passer. While Johnson is an intriguing developmental QB, he's not close to being ready to start at the NFL level. The proposed deal makes sense for the Bucs, but it wouldn't solve the Rams' quarterback dilemma for 2010.
    Feb. 20 - 2:39 p.m. ET

Source: Scout.com

I would really hate this deal, the only way I want to move down is to draft Bradford and pick up extra picks, or trade down again and draft Joe Haden and get 2 extra 2nds and 2 extra thirds.

They need to throw in a 2nd rounder and remove Josh Johnson from the deal. If he hasn't made strides and moved to the front of Tampa's QB carousel, he never will.

Bald_81 is online now Registered User

Re: Reported Bucs/Rams Trade Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by rams_man13 View Post
    They need to throw in a 2nd rounder and remove Josh Johnson from the deal. If he hasn't made strides and moved to the front of Tampa's QB carousel, he never will.
    I feel the exact same way. If the Rams want to draft their QB of the future and trade down to do so, Johnson would essentially be added in the deal (at the expense of another pick, most likely a second) just to play for one year. That makes no sense to me, which is why I believe that if a deal would eventually suffice with the Rams and Bucs he wouldn't be apart of it. The Rams would more likely trade down to #3 and acquire a second and fourth rather than a third and Johnson. Obviously, if they cut Bulger and let Boller walk they have to add another QB but that can be done through free agency rather than just trading for Johnson and having him start only one season. If the Rams do any trade similar to this one and don't get a second round pick, I'll be on suicide watch. Okay, that may be taking it a little far (and I know some people are probably saying well if we wanted a QB at #1 at least we are getting an extra pick) but that is not good enough if you hold the premium position in the NFL draft.

rams_man13 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bald_81 View Post
    I feel the exact same way. If the Rams want to draft their QB of the future and trade down to do so, Johnson would essentially be added in the deal (at the expense of another pick, most likely a second) just to play for one year. That makes no sense to me, which is why I believe that if a deal would eventually suffice with the Rams and Bucs he wouldn't be apart of it. The Rams would more likely trade down to #3 and acquire a second and fourth rather than a third and Johnson. Obviously, if they cut Bulger and let Boller walk they have to add another QB but that can be done through free agency rather than just trading for Johnson and having him start only one season. If the Rams do any trade similar to this one and don't get a second round pick, I'll be on suicide watch. Okay, that may be taking it a little far (and I know some people are probably saying well if we wanted a QB at #1 at least we are getting an extra pick) but that is not good enough if you hold the premium position in the NFL draft.
    Exactly, Josh Johnson is essentially a Mike Vick back-up plan, the only difference is Josh Johnson replaces a 2nd rounder and Vick will only cost a 5th at max (probably).

If you want a guy to start for you for a year and then be a wildcat player, make two trades:

Tampa's 3rd overall, 35th and third rounder for Rams 1st overall and 4th rounder.

Then, trade for Vick with the 5th pick the Eagles gave us for Witherspoon.

That means you have Bradford sitting for a year, but developing and then 2 extra picks in a very deep draft to fix the defense and some of the offense.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

How about this Michael Vick backup plan?

Teach Steven Jackson how to throw. Doesn't cost us a single additional dime or one draft pick. Probably will get you just as effective a passer too.

The one downside, it may ruin a perfectly good feature back.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Total crap. Another one of the junk rumours that will float around between now and the draft. There will be plenty of them.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

This just doesn't make sense. Who would we be targeting if not a quarterback by trading down? If we're planning on drafting a quarterback in the first round, why demand that they throw in another quarterback in the deal?

bruce4life is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    total crap. Another one of the junk rumours that will float around between now and the draft. There will be plenty of them.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
    if this was facebook i would press the like button!!!!!!!!!!!

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

Josh Johnson seem to be a much better passer than Vick ever was from what Ive seen of him. A smart guy who holds the NCAA record for QBrating in a career at a DIv. 1 school in San Diego. Not the biggest school but anytime you put up 45 touchdowns and 1 interception in a season, run a 4.44 40 time, with ability to lead you deserve a nod. He started 6 games this season and put up 4 touchdowns and 8 interceptions. This is with a poor receiving corp and team in general.

Though i don't want to have to pass up Suh and second rounder of him, I would be interested and possibly trading a 6th and a 7th for him. Loads of potential and everyone I hear talk about him says the same thing.

And who's to say if we trade down, we would automatically target a Quarterback? Plenty of talent in this draft and we could trade down multiple times to accumulate picks and any number of players with our eventual first round, we have many holes.

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

I don't think acquiring Josh Johnson would prevent the Rams from drafting Clausen or Bradford. In fact, it almost certainly would not.

sntlouisrams is offline Registered User

Why would we trade for johnson and pick up another qb in bradford or clausen? then we wld have null the other guy johnson and brad/claussen? If we go this route it would make as much sense to pick up colt in the 2nd tebow in the 3rd and another qb in the 4th :S

rammiser is offline Registered User

I posted this in the thread in Ram Talk.

I don't see the sense of getting Josh Johnson instead of one of the Bucs second rounder and then drafting a qb 3rd overall. I would rather drop down to 3rd overall and still get one of the Bucs second and still get Johnson. We are basically saying Johnson is worth either of the Bucs second rounders by swapping first round pics and only getting Johnson and a 3rd rounder? This doesnt guarantee we have a stud qb or stud dt either. If the Bucs want Suh so freaking bad no way in hell are they getting the 1st pick without the trade including at least one of their second round picks. In my opinion if we don't draft Suh we have to draft Clausen or Bradford because I think McCoy would be going to Detroit. It would be nice to land Bryant but who's gonna throw him the ball? An inaccurate scrambling qb? If they want to aquire Josh Johnson that's fine with me but the trade should still include one of the Bucs second rounders.

This trade is easy for the Bucs and they would be laughing all the way to the bank if the Rams agree to it. Imagine the Bucs who have two second round pics only having to surrender a backup qb and thier 3rd round pick for the guy they covet. Basically the Bucs lose nothing and still end up ahead of where they started, they would still have 2 second round picks and none in the third which isnt a big deal because their #42 selection would still act as their 3rd rounder but garner a much better player. Not only all of this but they would still get Suh and basically lose nothing in return. In my opinion there is no way as a person in the Rams organization this trade happens without getting one of the Bucs second rounder NO WAY.

Im fine with getting Josh Johnson, I don't know much about him but the Rams need players. So just getting Johnson and a 3rd rounder for Suh is a rip off when the team your dealing with has two second rounders. The Rams if they really would take Johnson should ask for at the least the Bucs 42nd overall and maybe even a 4th or fifth on top of that or no deal. If the Bucs covet Suh so much they should have to give up more than a backup qb and the 67th pick in the draft. If the Rams go for this trade they are out of their minds and will go to show that even with a revamped front office they still make dumb decisions.
    Just Fix It

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Guys you are looking at it all wrong.

I dont there is any way the Bucs give us a 2nd rounder because they are also re-building so they want to keep there early picks.

However the deal would make sense if we get a 3rd along with Josh Johnson.

Just remember if we cut Bulger we need 2 QBs

So we draft Bradford but dont give him the starting job. Let the rookie earn it. Bradford vs. Josh Johnson in the pre-season.

Its up to spags who he wants to start.

If Suh has a Chris Long type combine i expect the Bucs to make a move.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post

I dont there is any way the Bucs give us a 2nd rounder because they are also re-building so they want to keep there early picks.

So we draft Bradford but dont give him the starting job. Let the rookie earn it. Bradford vs. Josh Johnson in the pre-season.

Who is the mentor quarterback in this situation? No NFL team in their right mind goes into a season with 9 games cumulative experience at the QB position.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post

i think its you who is looking at it all wrong...the ball is in our court,not theirs..if they want the ball they gonna have to pay for it..and offer more than a 3rd and the type of "Quarterback" that can be got in the 4-7 rounds range of every draft in recent years.

if the articles info is true that the Bucs and Rams are "in talks"..i have faith in Billy D so i will presume that conversation lasted all of 20 seconds.

Maverick720 is offline Registered User

Personally, I hope we do trade with you guys.

We need a stud talent on the d-line so bad it's making me anxious two months early.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast