Thread: Rey Maualuga

ENN107 is offline Registered User

Rey Maualuga

This point may be moot. If Rey Maualuga comes out early i think he is a better defensive prospect than Chris Long. He is a REAL middle linebacker and we can just move Spoon to his natural position on the weak side. Pisa is a good enough athlete to play the strong side. If Levi Brown can go fifth overall why cant Rey go second?

http://usctrojans.cstv.com/sports/m-...uga_rey00.html
    Last edited by ENN107; -01-02-2008 at 10:09 PM. Reason: added link

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Re: Rey Maualuga

hes already said that he is not coming out, but he would be best in th 3-4 because coverage skills aren't great. Saying he is a better prospect than Chris Long is crazy you can't be serious

39thebeast is offline Registered User

They don't call them the tards for no reason that is how Levi Brown goes 5th. Maulualaga isn't even the best MLB he is second maybe 3rd best behind Lauranatis maybe Curtis Lofton. I cant see Pisa playing Strong side either

shower beers is online now Registered User

Yeah....no dice.

We HAVE to take Long.

viper is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ENN107 View Post
    This point may be moot. If Rey Maualuga comes out early i think he is a better defensive prospect than Chris Long. He is a REAL middle linebacker and we can just move Spoon to his natural position on the weak side. Pisa is a good enough athlete to play the strong side. If Levi Brown can go fifth overall why cant Rey go second?

http://usctrojans.cstv.com/sports/m-...uga_rey00.html
    He was a beast in the Rose Bowl. But, I don't know enough about the rest of the potential top draft picks to say anything one way or another about where he would be drafted if he came out this year.

PossumBoy9 is offline Registered User

I will say this....Maualuga lays the wood. He's the hardest hitter in college football.

I think he'll enter the draft.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

He was the best player on the field in the Rose Bowl, save perahps Booty and the Freshman Runningback from SC, whose name is avoiding me.

But, to be a great Linebacker, you need a solid line in front of you, so partial credit for his 3 sacks, INT and FF goes to the SC Defensive Line. By default, this means that Lawrence Jackson and Sedrick Ellis had good games.

I paricularly liked what I saw from Jackson. He had the one offsides penalty in the second half where he jumped the gun a bit, but he was driving blockers backwards in the passing game. The long run by Mendenhall was to his side, though.

I though he and Auburn's Quentin Moses had similar level performances.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Still wouldnt take him over C. Long.

Thirty-Nine is offline Registered User

Here is the Chicago Tribune's scouting report on linebackers:

chicagotribune.com

Scout talk: Top linebackers to draft

By Dan Pompei
    Tribune pro football reporter
    7:09 PM CST, December 29, 2007

If the Bears lose Lance Briggs in free agency, they at least can take solace in knowing the draft will offer many viable alternatives. It's a strong class for linebackers, and it wouldn't be surprising to see nine of the players listed here drafted in the first two rounds.

1. James Laurinaitis, Ohio State. The junior is expected to declare because he is regarded as a bona fide top 10 pick. He's big, tough, strong and instinctive. Some regard him as a better athlete than A.J. Hawk. He can play in the middle or outside.

2. Keith Rivers, Southern California. There isn't anything he doesn't do well. Rivers can play any linebacker spot. He's extremely athletic and fast. Covers very well. Makes plays in pursuit. Finds the ball.

3. Rey Maualuga, Southern California. Big, explosive inside linebacker who plays hard. Is very physical and has good speed. Plays downhill. Is a little stiff athletically and limited in coverage.

4. Ali Highsmith, Louisiana State. Undersized linebacker who plays big. Is very explosive and athletic. Can run and cover. Solid tackler. Needs the right scheme. Probably is best suited to play on the weak side.

5. Beau Bell, UNLV. Explosive backer who can run and hit. Good pass rusher. Knows how to get the ball out. Could fit best in a 3-4 as an outside pass rusher.

6. Dan Connor, Penn State. Tough, instinctive middle linebacker who makes plays. Most scouts rate him below Paul Posluszny, his former teammate who was chosen by the Bills high in the second round last year

7. Jordan Dizon, Colorado. Little backer who finds a way to get it done. Excellent tackler. Explosive hitter. Fast and very athletic. Would be a perfect fit in a scheme like that of the Bears as a weak-side linebacker.

8. Tavares Gooden, Miami. Smallish player with top athleticism and speed. Plays hard and hits hard. Isn't great in coverage. Would be best on the weak side.

9. Ezra Butler, Nevada-Reno. Big, fast linebacker who has been used in a variety of roles. Probably is best suited to be a 3-4 outside linebacker. Goes all out. Needs to improve his ability to escape blockers.

10. Phillip Wheeler, Georgia Tech. Solid player who is not an elite athlete. Can run and gives good effort. Has average size and gets engulfed at times.

11. Xavier Adibi, Virginia Tech. Very fast linebacker who could boost his stock with a spectacular workout. Is stiff in space and misses tackles. Instincts are questionable.

12. Shawn Crable, Michigan. Has the body and ability but hasn't produced enough. Probably should be an outside linebacker in a 3-4. Can rush the passer. Gets blocked.

13. Vince Hall, Virginia Tech. Is an instinctive overachiever who lacks size and speed. Plays hard and always is around the ball.

14. J Leman, Illinois. Smart middle linebacker who makes a ton of plays. Lacks top athleticism. Has great intangibles. Probably won't be as good in the NFL as he was in college.

Copyright 2008, Chicago Tribune

Interesting...but I still want Chris Long

Go Rams! :r

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

He's NOT coming out.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Soprano View Post
    He's NOT coming out.
    Yup, he made it pretty clear here that he's staying in school...
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!