Thread: Rey Maualuga

Dr. Defense is offline Registered User

Rey Maualuga

From what I can tell, I have heard that Rey is sliding down people's draft board. People have had said that they don't like his speed, and that he is only a 3 down linebacker. If he were to slip to the 2nd for some reason or even the early to mid 20's, I think we should take him. He is exactly what we are looking for, a tough physical presence that we have been lacking since the days of London Fletcher.

I think that if we trade our second round pick and mabye a 4th round pick to a team, it would be a good day. In the first day alone we could cover two of our biggest problems by taking a tackle with our 2nd pick, then getting Rey in the late 1st. We could then use our 3rd overall pick to draft a defensive tackle and really look solidified on both sides of the ball.

thermobee is offline Registered User

Re: Rey Maualuga

That would be a dream come true.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Defense View Post
    From what I can tell, I have heard that Rey is sliding down people's draft board. People have had said that they don't like his speed, and that he is only a 3 down linebacker. If he were to slip to the 2nd for some reason or even the early to mid 20's, I think we should take him. He is exactly what we are looking for, a tough physical presence that we have been lacking since the days of London Fletcher.

I think that if we trade our second round pick and mabye a 4th round pick to a team, it would be a good day. In the first day alone we could cover two of our biggest problems by taking a tackle with our 2nd pick, then getting Rey in the late 1st. We could then use our 3rd overall pick to draft a defensive tackle and really look solidified on both sides of the ball.
    The concern that Rey may be to great a liability in coverage, thus limiting him to being a 2 down linebacker, appears to have some validity. On the other hand he could end up making teams kick themselves for passing on him. I really like Rey and hoped he would end up a Ram. Doesn't appear likely now though given the current draft order. One thing is sure though - where ever Billy D and Spags have him rated on their board, we won't find out until the draft or just after the draft ...

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I do not want the Rams to draft him. He would be my selection for Av's 10 foot pole list. He's not good in pass coverage at all.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    I do not want the Rams to draft him. He would be my selection for Av's 10 foot pole list. He's not good in pass coverage at all.
    So you're saying I was being charitable in reference to his coverage skills ??

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I don't want a run stuffing LB in the first 3 rounds. Not on the field enough.

AbramAssassin Guest

i like him, one reason is he is of samoan decent, he will be a freak strength wise im telling you, with coaching he will be able to shed blocks better than the other linebackers in the draft because of his explosiveness alone.

who's better him or laurinitis? (<- sp)

if we get rey and monroe inthe first 2 rounds that would be awesome.

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    I don't want a run stuffing LB in the first 3 rounds. Not on the field enough.

We were 29th against the run last year. At this point a run stuffing lb may be needed for every dang down.

jackson3909 is offline Registered User

that would be great to get monroe and maualuga they would fill our two biggest needs. I am sure Rey will only get better in spags syestem, to say he is bad in pass coverage is true but he will progress. this is a perfect expermient for spags remeber he turned antonio pierce into a qualtiy MLB im sure he can take a better prospect in Rey and make him into a pro bowler.

jmk321 is offline Registered User

Antonio Pierce was never too good in pass coverage and he played well in Spag's system. Maualuga would be a great defensive leader who would bring an unmatched energy to the table along with his play.

07McCarthy Guest

Ok...Rey Rey is a BEAST! If he droped to our pick in the 2nd and we didnt take him I would be really really sad/mad!

I just started attending USC and am attempting to walk-ok. I got to know alot of the guys off last years team and Rey is an extremly hard worker and plays faster than what his 40 time is clocked at. Broderick Green told me that he'd rather run full speed into a brick wall than get hit by Rey-Rey. He was the heart an soul of our defense last year. He will lead in the weight room, film room, and it will carry onto the field. He had some problems his freshman year but his character is not in question anymore. He is a great guy on the field and helps out alot with the community also.

His pass coverage is underrated by alot of people. He can drop back when needed. An example of that would be when he picked off a pass and ran it in for a touchdown against Ohio state this past season.
    Last edited by 07McCarthy; -03-22-2009 at 11:34 PM.