Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By HUbison

Thread: RG III is the key to the Rams near future

CRAZYHORNS is offline Registered User

RG III is the key to the Rams near future

Many mocks have the rams staying put and drafting a WR or OT at the two spot. Browns fans and Skins fans are hoping the Rams will pass on RG III so they can make a move at the three spot and avoid paying a KINGS ransom for RGIII.

I say the Rams should do what the Chargers did on draft day with Eli. If they do not get the offer they like go ahead and DRAFT RG III and let the league know he is on the block and the clock is ticking. Worse case scenerio the Rams keep RG III and we have a redzone playmaker and a battle at the QB spot for the next couple of years.

Go Rams

39WillRunYaOva is offline Registered User

Re: RG III is the key to the Rams near future

Simply put....no

Quote Originally Posted by 39WillRunYaOva View Post
    Simply put....no
    Your right your no was simple but was it too trading down?

Asking a Kings Ransom for the spot?

Taking RGIII and putting him on the BLOCK with the chance that you will not get what you want and have to stay with the pick?

So is your NO for all of the above or a No that you do not want to move from the spot?

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Worse case scenerio the Rams keep RG III and we have a redzone playmaker and a battle at the QB spot for the next couple of years.
    That would be one expensive position battle.

And who is the redzone playmaker you're referring to?
    ManofGod likes this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

TekeRam is offline Registered User

We could always play RG3 at WR...

It's an interesting notion, and I'd be very interested in watching that unfold. Unfortunately, I think that unless we have either someone or someones in talks with us when our time is running out, we won't be doing the pick and trade.

You never know though. It'd be must see TV as Kiper's hairgrease starts melting as he tries to explain why the Rams took him. In fact, just for that reason, I think we should run up to the podium as soon as Luck goes to the Colts!
    I believe!

Bing69 is offline Registered User

I have the feeling the Browns and Skins wont take that chance. If they think the 3 spot is good enough, and another team moves up to no.2 they out think themselves. Someone will want to move to no.2, theres no doubt about it. Its the only spot they are certain to get RG3

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I'd really rather not risk it. You're opening yourself up to the possibility of teams low-balling you at that point because they know you're going to want to trade him away.

The Chargers needed a quarterback when they drafted Manning; he didn't want to play for them but San Diego had a justifiable reason to use a pick on the position.

The Rams' situation is different; the team doesn't need a quarterback so no one is going to buy the argument of "Well we'll just keep him then." The Rams don't need RGIII, they have Bradford. Other teams know this.

sosa39rams is online now Registered User

Drafts for the most part are pre-determined... Literally. To the fan yeah, we dont have a clue whats going on but you really think the Rams are going to go into the draft not being called by all these teams telling them what they'll give? I could bet if we're trading down we've decided who we're trading with is the day of the draft, before the draft. You really think the #2 team that doesn't need the pick is only going to have 10 minutes to make such a huge decision?

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by sosa
    You really think the #2 team that doesn't need the pick is only going to have 10 minutes to make such a huge decision?
    No, of course not. In fact, I'm quite certain nobody thinks this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I'd really rather not risk it. You're opening yourself up to the possibility of teams low-balling you at that point because they know you're going to want to trade him away.

The Chargers needed a quarterback when they drafted Manning; he didn't want to play for them but San Diego had a justifiable reason to use a pick on the position.

The Rams' situation is different; the team doesn't need a quarterback so no one is going to buy the argument of "Well we'll just keep him then." The Rams don't need RGIII, they have Bradford. Other teams know this.
    I have to disagree Nick I think the chargers situation was much worse. They selected a player who went public and said he would not play for the team. IMHO that would diminish any kind of leverage on trade valu yet the Chargers still manage to:

swap 1st round selections in 2004
    obtain the Giants 3rd in 2004
    1st and 5th round pick in 2005

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZYHORNS View Post
    I have to disagree Nick I think the chargers situation was much worse. They selected a player who went public and said he would not play for the team. IMHO that would diminish any kind of leverage on trade valu yet the Chargers still manage to:

swap 1st round selections in 2004
    obtain the Giants 3rd in 2004
    1st and 5th round pick in 2005
    I don't think it was worse because, again, the Chargers had a legitimate need at the position. Their threat at the negotiating table to keep Eli would have been taken seriously because they needed a QB. I don't think anyone believes the Rams would take RGIII and then keep him with Bradford. That's an empty threat and a bluff many teams would call, IMO.

The Rams have plenty of time to test the waters and get some feedback about trade packages. They don't need to actually draft the kid and try to keep the bidding war going. Too much risk for a new regime that knows they need to start righting the ship.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I don't think it was worse because, again, the Chargers had a legitimate need at the position. Their threat at the negotiating table to keep Eli would have been taken seriously because they needed a QB. I don't think anyone believes the Rams would take RGIII and then keep him with Bradford. That's an empty threat and a bluff many teams would call, IMO.

The Rams have plenty of time to test the waters and get some feedback about trade packages. They don't need to actually draft the kid and try to keep the bidding war going. Too much risk for a new regime that knows they need to start righting the ship.
    Your argument is base on that no team would keep two young quality QB's on a roster. Have you forgotten the days of Green and Warner. Or even more recently Kolb, Vick, McNaab. How about Young and Montana. The list can go on and on. So you could call it a bluff but in todays NFL having two young talented QB's would be more of an assest than a bluff. I feel by selecting him the Rams would be calling thier bluff and in a postion of power. If these teams want a franchise QB and the Rams have 2 then they will have to put a more than fair offer on the table. Only two franchise QB's in this draft and Luck is going in the 1 spot.

I agree the Rams have alot of needs and addressing them is more pressing. I would take the chance of grabbing RGIII if other teams take the chance of the Rams passing on him and trying to get him in the 3 or 4 spot.

Worse case situation you can plug RGIII in 3rd and short situations utilizing his running skills. You can even use him in a Wildcat formation on short down plays and in the redzone. So I say if no team offer is acceptable why not draft him put him on the block if no one makes a good offer we keep him. Also, the way the QB's drop in this league the Rams will get plenty of offers during the season to part with him.

Go Rams
    Last edited by CRAZYHORNS; -02-18-2012 at 07:29 PM.

Your argument is base on that no team would keep two young quality QB's on a roster.
    No, my argument is based on the opinion that a team would not spend two Top Two picks on quarterbacks in a three-year span and keep both of those players. It makes little sense from a financial standpoint or a schematic standpoint.

Between Bradford's and RGIII's contracts, you'd be investing nearly if not more than $100 million in contracts to the quarterback position.

You'd be spending the second overall pick on a player whom you'd only use situationally or part-time (which isn't the worst case scenario, by the way). Or even worse, you'd either sit him completely or sit your $78-million QB.

Finally, the vast majority of teams who are looking to acquire a QB mid-season due to an injury are doing so because they're a contender and want to stay in the hunt, which means they're probably not going to want to trade the farm on an untested rookie passer.

The Rams have already made it known that the pick is off the block. They've likely been talking with people already, and have until the draft to continue doing so. If at that time they believe all of the offers they've fielded are inadequate, then they need to select the best available player for them at that spot. And, IMO, that's not Robert Griffin III.

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Your argument is base on that no team would keep two young quality QB's on a roster. Have you forgotten the days of Green and Warner. Or even more recently Kolb, Vick, McNaab. How about Young and Montana. The list can go on and on. So you could call it a bluff but in todays NFL having two young talented QB's would be more of an assest than a bluff. I feel by selecting him the Rams would be calling thier bluff and in a postion of power. If these teams want a franchise QB and the Rams have 2 then they will have to put a more than fair offer on the table. Only two franchise QB's in this draft and Luck is going in the 1 spot.
    Whoooooaaaaa Nelly!!!!
    I was hearing a bit of your argument till you mentioned QB's like this.... You mentioned YOUNG, and Quality QB's. Green was here what, what year as a backup? No one and I mean no one knew what Warner was and Trent Green was only iffy afterwards anyways from people and coaches were projecting him.

Mcnaab was old and fading, Kolb has always been so-so nothing special, I will Vouche for MR. Vick tho.

Montana was older with mounting injuries to a up and coming Young.

If we were interested in someone not calling our bluff I'd say we start rumors about teams interested in trading to get Bradford to somewhat help out your argument.

With all that being said I'd rather have Bradford with a BA WR and a revamped line. I trust Jeff Fisher , he knows what the heck he's doing no matter the scenerio...

Quote Originally Posted by ZiaRam View Post
    Whoooooaaaaa Nelly!!!!
    I was hearing a bit of your argument till you mentioned QB's like this.... You mentioned YOUNG, and Quality QB's. Green was here what, what year as a backup? No one and I mean no one knew what Warner was and Trent Green was only iffy afterwards anyways from people and coaches were projecting him.

Mcnaab was old and fading, Kolb has always been so-so nothing special, I will Vouche for MR. Vick tho.

Montana was older with mounting injuries to a up and coming Young.

If we were interested in someone not calling our bluff I'd say we start rumors about teams interested in trading to get Bradford to somewhat help out your argument.

With all that being said I'd rather have Bradford with a BA WR and a revamped line. I trust Jeff Fisher , he knows what the heck he's doing no matter the scenerio...
    So you want better examples no problem.

Just in case you forgot Green did come back from his injury and the Rams did keep him and Warner the now known superbowl champ QB on the same roster.

Matt Schuab and Micheal Vick
    Aikman and Walsh
    Hosteteler and Sims
    Brees and Rivers (Were on the same roster before the trade)
    Tebow and Orton

Is this enough to support my argument or do you need more? I am sure you can look to pick apart some of these feel free.