View Poll Results: Who would you pick at #6 if both were available?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Richardson

17 29.31%
  • Blackmon

41 70.69%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Richardson or Blackmon?

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Re: Richardson or Blackmon?

BPA, Richardson. As Brian Billick says, "need is a terrible evaluator"

Go Rams!

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by xkidflowx View Post
    if we get richardson.. look at how our offense will be be on the wide out.. amendola (okay) salas (average) pettis (LOL) alexander (good-injury) steve smith (ehhh) looks like bradford would have no one to throw to besides amendola just like his rookie year.. IF we draft blackmon.. he will stretch the field and we can get the slants all day and other 15-20 yard routes by him
    I voted Richardson. Why? IMHO, getting Blackmon is getting another (okay/average) WR. Nothing says this guy is going to be able to stretch the field any better than Salas or Pettis. He doesn't have that kind of speed. He's probably not the game changer that many think he can be, so why use a #6 pick on him?

On the other hand, I'm looking at Jackson and I see a great veteran that has seen his better days. He gets hurt every year now and can no longer carry the load. Backs like Richardson don't come around that often, and I think we need to grab him while we can. Jackson needs a replacement soon, and now is soon. Also, I'm looking at Fisher's typical offensive approach, and nothing says "go deep and spread the field" in his offense. He's a ground and pound, dink and dunk guy with the occasional throw deep to keep them honest approach. In Fisher's offense a duel RB threat makes more sense than a burner at WR, which Blackmon is not, anyway.

It may be a "passing league" but Fisher will not take that approach. He will use his running game and short passes to protect Bradford and move the chains.

IF the decision is just between Blackmon and Richardson, I'll go with the RB and grab a WR with the second pick.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    I voted Richardson. Why? IMHO, getting Blackmon is getting another (okay/average) WR. Nothing says this guy is going to be able to stretch the field any better than Salas or Pettis. He doesn't have that kind of speed. He's probably not the game changer that many think he can be, so why use a #6 pick on him?

On the other hand, I'm looking at Jackson and I see a great veteran that has seen his better days. He gets hurt every year now and can no longer carry the load. Backs like Richardson don't come around that often, and I think we need to grab him while we can. Jackson needs a replacement soon, and now is soon. Also, I'm looking at Fisher's typical offensive approach, and nothing says "go deep and spread the field" in his offense. He's a ground and pound, dink and dunk guy with the occasional throw deep to keep them honest approach. In Fisher's offense a duel RB threat makes more sense than a burner at WR, which Blackmon is not, anyway.

It may be a "passing league" but Fisher will not take that approach. He will use his running game and short passes to protect Bradford and move the chains.

IF the decision is just between Blackmon and Richardson, I'll go with the RB and grab a WR with the second pick.
    Could not have said it better myself.

"A passing league," means absolutely diddly squat, to the Jeff Fisher I know. And last I checked, he was the new sheriff in St. Louis.

Obviously, those voting for Blackmon didn't take in to account who the Head Coach is.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    Obviously, those voting for Blackmon didn't take in to account who the Head Coach is.
    The poll is "who would you pick", not "who do you think Fisher will pick".

If Blackmon is off the board and TRich is still available, sure, grab him. I have no problem with that. What im tired of is having Sam throw to six #3 WR's who somehow once drafted had there hands turned to stone coated in butter and vasaline and whos bones turned to glass and get open as much as the post office on Sundays.

Now if this means he has his eye on a wr in the second round that he thinks will be amazing like Randle or someone, then so be it. Whatever choice he decides ill back even if i dont like it and hope for the best.

But since the question is what would I would do if both TRich and Blackmon were available at #6, my personal preference is Blackmon and grab a RB in the 2nd/3rd/4th round. We have a #1 RB, we don't have a #1 WR, and barely have a #2(we'll see how Smith does, not sold on him till he can prove it to us).

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

You guys do realize, considering Fisher said Bradford has the potential to be the best, Fisher is going to adjust some of his schemes to fit the modern day NFL.

Sure we will run, but to completely discount the pass is crazy. Bradford has too much talent to be a ball control QB (and Fisher knows this), and I think a lot of you are going to be surprised as this year starts winding down, and heading into next season as Bradford has more of a grasp.
    ramsbruce, Tampa_Ram and molbio44 like this.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Could not have said it better myself.

"A passing league," means absolutely diddly squat, to the Jeff Fisher I know. And last I checked, he was the new sheriff in St. Louis.

Really now, so Jeff Fisher doesn't use QBs or throw the ball? He is fine with teams playing both safeties in the box because 99% of his plays are runs up the middle? I could have sworn McNair was a fairly consistent 3,000 yard passer who would get close to 500 attempts per year. That doesn't scream "Doesn't care about the pass" to me. And that was with a QB who was less of a traditional passer than Bradford. I think it's too early to say that Bradford's main job will be to hand the ball to someone else. Any coach in the NFL should know that if you can't pass the ball, you won't be able to run it either. Given how long Fisher has been around, I'm pretty sure he knows that. Don't think Richardson is a lock if available over Blackmon, not when our WR corp couldn't go toe-to-toe with most major college's WR corp.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Very tough question to answer. But I went with Richardson in the end on the basis of him being the more talented football player. But don't get me wrong, Blackmon is a cracking WR and the player I believe the Rams will draft at six.

Quote Originally Posted by Tampa_Ram View Post
    The poll is "who would you pick", not "who do you think Fisher will pick".

If Blackmon is off the board and TRich is still available, sure, grab him. I have no problem with that. What im tired of is having Sam throw to six #3 WR's who somehow once drafted had there hands turned to stone coated in butter and vasaline and whos bones turned to glass and get open as much as the post office on Sundays.

Now if this means he has his eye on a wr in the second round that he thinks will be amazing like Randle or someone, then so be it. Whatever choice he decides ill back even if i dont like it and hope for the best.

But since the question is what would I would do if both TRich and Blackmon were available at #6, my personal preference is Blackmon and grab a RB in the 2nd/3rd/4th round. We have a #1 RB, we don't have a #1 WR, and barely have a #2(we'll see how Smith does, not sold on him till he can prove it to us).
    Fair enough.

Quote Originally Posted by berg8309 View Post
    Really now, so Jeff Fisher doesn't use QBs or throw the ball? He is fine with teams playing both safeties in the box because 99% of his plays are runs up the middle? I could have sworn McNair was a fairly consistent 3,000 yard passer who would get close to 500 attempts per year. That doesn't scream "Doesn't care about the pass" to me. And that was with a QB who was less of a traditional passer than Bradford. I think it's too early to say that Bradford's main job will be to hand the ball to someone else. Any coach in the NFL should know that if you can't pass the ball, you won't be able to run it either. Given how long Fisher has been around, I'm pretty sure he knows that. Don't think Richardson is a lock if available over Blackmon, not when our WR corp couldn't go toe-to-toe with most major college's WR corp.
    Didn't say anything of the sort. I said, Jeff Fisher couldn't care less that it's a supposed passing league. He will run the ball first and foremost.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Sorry about the links, but this is a must watch for all Rams and Blackmon fans!

NFL Videos: Game Changers: Justin Blackmon with Michael Irvin

Pretty interesting to see a HOF WR working with the rookie.
    ramsbruce and THOLTFAN81 like this.

THE DREAM TEAM

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Didn't say anything of the sort. I said, Jeff Fisher couldn't care less that it's a supposed passing league. He will run the ball first and foremost.
    That would be true.....if Vince Young were the Rams QB.

When Fisher had a real QB (ie. not Vince Young), he actually ran a very balanced offensive system. When McNair was behind center, the Titans passing attempts ranked them between 16th and 22nd in the league. And in McNair's last two seasons in Nashville, Fisher's Titans ranked 2nd and 5th in pass attempts.

And while Fisher certainly heavily utilized George and Brown during the McNair years, there were only 3 seasons when rushing attempts surpassed passing attempts.

During his time in Nashville, Fisher demonstrated not that he is a "run-first" coach, but rather that he is capable of adapting to his roster whether it be balanced (Eddie George & Steve McNair), pass happy (Steve McNair & post-George), or run happy (Chris Johnson & Vince Young).
    THOLTFAN81, Tampa_Ram and berg8309 like this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    That would be true.....if Vince Young were the Rams QB.

When Fisher had a real QB (ie. not Vince Young), he actually ran a very balanced offensive system. When McNair was behind center, the Titans passing attempts ranked them between 16th and 22nd in the league. And in McNair's last two seasons in Nashville, Fisher's Titans ranked 2nd and 5th in pass attempts.

And while Fisher certainly heavily utilized George and Brown during the McNair years, there were only 3 seasons when rushing attempts surpassed passing attempts.

During his time in Nashville, Fisher demonstrated not that he is a "run-first" coach, but rather that he is capable of adapting to his roster whether it be balanced (Eddie George & Steve McNair), pass happy (Steve McNair & post-George), or run happy (Chris Johnson & Vince Young).
    Good summary. No coach lasts as long as Fisher did without adapting his scheme to his players. Coaches do try to get players who fit the scheme they want, but if they are at all a good coach they will work in a manner that best fits the talent actually on the roster.

Right now Fisher has a RB who can pound the ball, a QB who can throw the ball, but no WRs to catch the ball. Faced with those obstacles, is a 2nd RB who can pound the ball, or a WR who catch the ball a priority? I don't know what Fisher will actually do, but logically Blackmon is the pick, and depth at RB would be addressed later. And I do personally believe that is what Fisher would do (Maybe because it is what I want him to do )

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Sorry about the links, but this is a must watch for all Rams and Blackmon fans!

NFL Videos: Game Changers: Justin Blackmon with Michael Irvin

Pretty interesting to see a HOF WR working with the rookie.
    Cool piece. Irvin looks like he could still play.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Cool piece. Irvin looks like he could still play.
    I still can't believe the Academy snubbed him for The Longest Yard. That had Best Supporting Actor written all over it.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Is Irvin really a guy you want young impressionable rookies around? Wasn't he pretty well known for partying just a little too much?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast