• C.Patterson

2 20.00%
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By richtree
  • 1 Post By bigdogg2834

Thread: Richtree's Draft Reflection #1 -- T.Austin vs. C.Patterson

richtree is offline Registered User

Richtree's Draft Reflection #1 -- T.Austin vs. C.Patterson

Now with our season in the books, we can reflect on this years play of our rookies.

Obviously, we need a bigger sample, but what do you guys think ?

Tavon Austin, was he worth the trade up ?

Cordarrelle Patterson more valuable ?

Here's the stats:

Cordarrelle Patterson: Recieving - 45 catches -- 469yds -- 4Tds
    Rushing - 12 Rushes -- 158yds -- 3Tds
    KR -- 43attemps -- 1392yds -- 2Tds

Tavon Austin : Recieving - 40 catches -- 418yds -- 4Tds
    Rushing - 9 Rushes -- 151yds -- 1Tds
    KR -- 18 attemps -- 398yds -- 0Tds
    PR -- 33 attemps -- 280yds -- 1TD

I think this was a big debate and the Rams went with Austin.

What do you think , is he they better fit ? Are they using him correctly ?

Would Patterson be a better fit ?
    Randart likes this.

Randart is online now Registered User

Re: Richtree's Draft Reflection #1 -- T.Austin vs. C.Patterson

Both teams scored in this case, there were some doubts about both players. I think they both did really well for rookie wide outs. The biggest doubt with TA was his size would he hold up, I think that is still debateable. With CP many doubted he was a complete enough reciever and could he figure out the play books etc, I think he showed he can excell in many facets of the game. I really liked him before the draft and glad he proved us fans right about him. He should if he keeps working hard get better over time I believe. Hopefully TA will as well, the more he can strength train the better I believe it will help him stay on the field. I call it a win/win for both teams, now they both need to get enough wins to get to the playoffs with their young reciever/returners...

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

I think the numbers (when you factor in that Austin missed the last 3 weeks of the season) are fairly even so, based on rookie years alone, Austin at #8 (with a trade up) was not as good a value as Patterson at #29.

That said, I still think that Austin may prove to be a better player in the long run, and I don't feel any regret at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I think the numbers (when you factor in that Austin missed the last 3 weeks of the season) are fairly even so, based on rookie years alone, Austin at #8 (with a trade up) was not as good a value as Patterson at #29.

That said, I still think that Austin may prove to be a better player in the long run, and I don't feel any regret at this point.
    So far, I agree that Patterson is the better "PRO READY" player.....I think Austin has more long term ability, and I also think that it took Fisher and Schotty weeks to figure out how to adjust to using a guy like this in the "New" NFL --- Our playbook should really expand next year for this guy moving him all over the place...If they don't commit to using him from multiple positons, they are not setting him up for ultimate success....

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    So far, I agree that Patterson is the better "PRO READY" player.....I think Austin has more long term ability, and I also think that it took Fisher and Schotty weeks to figure out how to adjust to using a guy like this in the "New" NFL --- Our playbook should really expand next year for this guy moving him all over the place...If they don't commit to using him from multiple positons, they are not setting him up for ultimate success....
    Although I might not have used the term "Pro Ready," I agree that its probably easier for an offense to figure out how to use a guy with Patterson's size than it is to use a guy like Austin. In my mind, the best use of Austin's special abilities was on the reverse that was designed for Tavon to get the ball, turn around, and run to the side he started on (went for a TD). There are very few players in the league who could successfully run that play.

Although I might not have used the term "Pro Ready," I agree that its probably easier for an offense to figure out how to use a guy with Patterson's size than it is to use a guy like Austin. In my mind, the best use of Austin's special abilities was on the reverse that was designed for Tavon to get the ball, turn around, and run to the side he started on (went for a TD). There are very few players in the league who could successfully run that play.
    I do think its very important to remember the rankings are not without error from all these "so called" experts that are mainly writers, who scouts do not provide their true feeling to before the draft.

Secondly, I think it is important to remember that ranking draft picks by their draft selection isn't as valuable as the fan thinks.....

A WR taken 5 vs. 22 could be equal and in recent years

Austin v. Patterson
    Blackmon v Floyd
    Robinson v Watkins

could all be wins, and more importantly to get the right guy for your team, not who the media is hyping .....

Fisher will be ready.....and so will the WRs moving up draft boards

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Depends. Like I've said before, if we keep Schotty, Tavon will never truly live up to his potential, and that'd be disappointing. But if we go after a new OC (like Chud), than Tavon will truly be unleashed. Either way, both have done good.

THE DREAM TEAM

Rambos is offline Registered User

I liked Patterson all the way until we took Tavon. Both have played well and have had an impact. No losers here. The Rams may have over paid but sometimes you have to do what you have to do.

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

I will say what I said then. Tavon Austin is a great piece for a good team looking to be the best team. A guy like that makes a huge difference in the playoffs.

However, for the Rams, I thought taking him was a luxury, in a solid year for WR later.

As I said then, no player his size has been a true #1 in the past 20 years anyway.

Not sorry we have Austin, who makes the Rams ST great now, and is a great slot receiver and sometimes RB, but I would not have traded up to get him.
    Barry Waller

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Waller View Post
    I will say what I said then. Tavon Austin is a great piece for a good team looking to be the best team. A guy like that makes a huge difference in the playoffs.

However, for the Rams, I thought taking him was a luxury, in a solid year for WR later.

As I said then, no player his size has been a true #1 in the past 20 years anyway.

Not sorry we have Austin, who makes the Rams ST great now, and is a great slot receiver and sometimes RB, but I would not have traded up to get him.
    I don't think the Rams make that move without knowing they where going to recoup picks from the 22nd pick, I agree that he was too expensiveness on his own but considering the plan was to move back later the cost was not as much.

Peter king
    In an ideal world St. Louis would move up to No. 8 for Austin, then take the troubled but speedy Ogletree at No. 22—or maybe trade down, still get Ogletree and recoup the capital they lost in getting Austin. A day earlier Fisher and Snead gathered the coaches and scouts to explain the plan and hear out any naysayers. There were none.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

The irony of this discussion is that both Austin and Patterson did most of their work with not-so-great QB's throwing to them. I include Austin because he seemed to blossom after Sam went down. Patterson had Ponder, Casel and Freeman throwing to him. What's even greater irony is that both Austin and Patterson will have different & likely better (certainly in the case of Austin) QB's throwing to them next season. I suspect each will have better years when they are more experienced to the NFL, next year.

In hindsight the selection of Austin at the time was the smarter move as Patterson had very experience on the Big Stage. I applaud Jeff and Les for not taking a big risk, especially since we already took that risk the year before with Brian Quick. Bottom line, nothing exists in a vacuum.

Go Rams!

citr92 is offline Registered User

how many big plays and scores did austin have called back?

RealRam is offline Registered User

How many big plays and scores did Austin have called back? -- Citr92

...I still think that Austin may prove to be a better player in the long run, and I don't feel any regret at this point.
    P U N T O señores*. // P E R I O D, gentlemen.

*.- Also, 'caballero(s)'

bigdogg2834 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Waller View Post

Tavon Austin- 5'8 176lbs

Desean Jackson 5'10 175lbs

Steve Smith 5'9 185lbs

Unless you really want to get into semantics over an inch or two and a few pounds, these two have shown to be true #1's in my opinion that can play on the outside at around the same size as Austin.
    sosa39rams likes this.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

The Rams switched philosophys in midstream, going from a spread passing game to a power running game, which meant less and less opportunities for Austin, obviously affecting his production.

Not to mention all the yards he lost on penalties early on.

Under those circumstances I'd say he had a pretty good rookie season, but I expect the Rams to figure this out during camp and the preseason.

When they do, we'll see Austin's real value and we won't have to revisit this question again.