• 2 Post By tomahawk247
  • 4 Post By AvengerRam
  • 1 Post By mde8352gorams
  • 1 Post By demiurge
  • 1 Post By Barry Waller

Thread: Richtree's Draft Reflection #3-- TJ McDonald vs. Keenan Allen

richtree is offline Registered User

Richtree's Draft Reflection #3-- TJ McDonald vs. Keenan Allen

This is the Rams potential error, but not because they took TJ McDonald, or that McDonald is a bad player, but that Allen fell to the Rams and they passed on him.

Pick #71 was McDonald

and Keenan Allen was scooped up #76 with 71 catches for 1,046 yards 8TDs for SD..

In hindsight, McDonald looks like a nice player...but was it the right move?
    Could we still have gotten a safety at the next pick #92

Maybe, the right answer was to trade back a few spots or trade back up for K.Allen

?? All I know that there are 3 things to learn from this.

#1 A safety should not be drafted high unless we consider him an immediate, special talent this year.
    #2 Many starting safeties are found in round 3-4 and later...Even my guy Will Hill had a good year for the New York Giants after falling out of draft.
    #3 When a good player is available good teams do whatever it takes to get him.

This year we should go from good team to the next step of a legit playoff team...
    The draft will lay the foundation for victory.

I personally have been mad that we missed on Keenan Allen the second he was still there at pick #76 -- but the bright side is we do have a good safety in McDonald but our offense still needs OLine and WR help for the 7th straight year....

Randart is offline Registered User

Re: Richtree's Draft Reflection #3-- TJ McDonald vs. Keenan Allen

I voted for TJ, I believe in what our draft group does allot with this regime. Also there were some pretty huge questions about KA's health coming out would he be ready for the season etc. He has had a fine year for the Chargers and Rivers seems to have some nice chemistry with his rookie wideout that is awesome for them as a team and individually! I like what TJ brings to our team and view him as a nice building block for our secondary and we need him, imho!
    Last edited by Randart; -01-02-2014 at 03:32 PM.

richtree is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Randart View Post
    I voted for TJ, I believe in what our draft group does allot with this regime. Also there were some pretty huge questions about KA's healthy coming out would he be ready for the season etc. He has had a fine year for the Chargers and Rivers seems to have some nice chemistry with his rookie wideout that is awesome for them as a team and individually! I like what TJ brings to our team and view him as a nice building block for our secondary and we need him, imho!
    I agree TJ seems to bring some toughness and fits well.....But Keenan Allen is a Top 20 WR right now.....its a tough choice that had me screaming at my TV on draft day...
    Randart likes this.

Randart is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    I agree TJ seems to bring some toughness and fits well.....But Keenan Allen is a Top 20 WR right now.....its a tough choice that had me screaming at my TV on draft day...
    I Usually lose my voice screaming at the ref's both in my living room and at Kings Hockey games. Even had my gran son scream for me on bad calls when I lost my voice at a game once was funny. He got into it, kept asking me if it was time to yell at the zebras yet! Cute kid! LOL

As for our drafts I really love what Fish & Les and the guys do so I have no reason to scream at them so far. They actually amaze me with how well they do at the drafts!

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Keenan Allen had the benefit of a pro bowl QB throwing to him, the Rams WR spent a lot of the season getting thrown to by Kellen Clemens.

I'm excited to see Steadman Bailey with a decent QB throwing to him, and I think that will put the Keenan Allen questions to bed.

Also, I think McDonald will have an excellent 2nd season and will prove to be a high quality SS.
    Fortuninerhater and Randart like this.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    Keenan Allen had the benefit of a pro bowl QB throwing to him, the Rams WRs spent a lot of the season getting thrown to by Kellen Clemens.

I'm excited to see Stedman Bailey with a decent QB throwing to him, and I think that will put the Keenan Allen questions to bed.
    The key to this debate is highlighted above.

Plenty of receivers have good years when they're the focus of the offense.

My guess is Stedman Bailey would've put up similar numbers had he been in San Diego. He certainly did it in college.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I have to say, these polls are getting less and less pertinent.

The first one asked people to compare two WRs who were BOTH available when the Rams selected. That is a comparison worth considering.

The second one asked people to compare two LBs, one who was available to the Rams, and one who was already gone when the Rams picked. That comparison is less interesting.

Now, you're asking us to compare a safety to a WR who the Rams (along with every other team) passed on early in the draft. To me, that's kind of a pointless comparison.

There are always players who "out-play" their draft position (i.e. Zac Stacy). That's the nature of the draft game. Before last year's draft, there were some real concerns about Allen which, in the end, proved to be unwarranted. Remember, though, for every Allen, there's a player (i.e. Justin Blackmon) for whom the concerns prove to be right on target.

punahou is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    Keenan Allen had the benefit of a pro bowl QB throwing to him, the Rams WR spent a lot of the season getting thrown to by Kellen Clemens.

I'm excited to see Steadman Bailey with a decent QB throwing to him, and I think that will put the Keenan Allen questions to bed.

Also, I think McDonald will have an excellent 2nd season and will prove to be a high quality SS.
    Many here, and apparently in the Rams Braintrust feel we have a legit and possible pro- bowl QB-- which is a sentiment I do not share; do we think Allen would have had that year with our current roster?

punahou is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I have to say, these polls are getting less and less pertinent.

The first one asked people to compare two WRs who were BOTH available when the Rams selected. That is a comparison worth considering.

The second one asked people to compare two LBs, one who was available to the Rams, and one who was already gone when the Rams picked. That comparison is less interesting.

Now, you're asking us to compare a safety to a WR who the Rams (along with every other team) passed on early in the draft. To me, that's kind of a pointless comparison.

There are always players who "out-play" their draft position (i.e. Zac Stacy). That's the nature of the draft game. Before last year's draft, there were some real concerns about Allen which, in the end, proved to be unwarranted. Remember, though, for every Allen, there's a player (i.e. Justin Blackmon) for whom the concerns prove to be right on target.
    Ya Im really confused at how Zac slipped thru the radar as he had a ton of positives going for him up to and after the combine

1) led the SEC, a RUN 1st conferance, in rushing that includes powerhouses like Alabama

2) almost identical in stature and measureables to players taken ahead of him and the year before like Monte Ball, Doug Martin, and Alfred Morris.

He was most likely a victim of the Pass 1st NFL mindset that has lessened the value of the RB position.

Rambos is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    This is the Rams potential error, but not because they took TJ McDonald, or that McDonald is a bad player, but that Allen fell to the Rams and they passed on him.

Pick #71 was McDonald

and Keenan Allen was scooped up #76 with 71 catches for 1,046 yards 8TDs for SD..

Maybe, the right answer was to trade back a few spots or trade back up for K.Allen

?? All I know that there are 3 things to learn from this.

#1 A safety should not be drafted high unless we consider him an immediate, special talent this year.
    #2 Many starting safeties are found in round 3-4 and later...Even my guy Will Hill had a good year for the New York Giants after falling out of draft.
    #3 When a good player is available good teams do whatever it takes to get him.

This year we should go from good team to the next step of a legit playoff team...
    The draft will lay the foundation for victory.

I personally have been mad that we missed on Keenan Allen the second he was still there at pick #76 -- but the bright side is we do have a good safety in McDonald but our offense still needs OLine and WR help for the 7th straight year....
    How can you not include Bailey? No one can deny that Allen did not have a great rookie year. But if you look at the whole picture the Rams got a day one starter in TJ and Bailey stock has risen to maybe the best receiver on the team once he got an opportunity to play.

I would tend to agree with you if TJ played poor and Bailey got to play and looked bad. But they both played and played well. We got two players that played in the NFL and you are saying we could have got a safety later. The fact is we got two players that can play in the NFL, no ifs or buts.

Looks like we got a stud WR at 92 right? Bailey caught just about everything that came his way he ran great routes.

Allen got playing time due to injuries and played great, so did Bailey IMO. Next year not sure if he is a starter day one but he's in the running that's for sure.
    Last edited by Rambos; -01-02-2014 at 01:40 PM.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

This is a bit of an apples/oranges type comparison. I wanted to comment in your thread a few days ago about Austin v Patterson that I felt Allen was a better option pre-draft option last year. He turned out to be a better WR than many thought largely because he had a Pro Bowl QB throwing to him and his injury concerns were unwarranted.

We did fine drafting TJ and have plenty of talent in Bailey to not feel any buyer's remorse. The Rams have many so many other draft faux pas over the years that this is not an issue whatsoever.

Go Rams!
    Rambos likes this.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by punahou View Post
    Many here, and apparently in the Rams Braintrust feel we have a legit and possible pro- bowl QB-- which is a sentiment I do not share; do we think Allen would have had that year with our current roster?
    Allen would have done well with Bradford. But Allen had his biggest games at the end of the season, after Bradford's injury. Allen would not have done well with Clemens throwing to him, because no one did.

demiurge is offline Registered User

Its also one season. Impossible to know how these guys are going to pan out after one season. Allen was an A this season for his position, McDonald was a B- (would be higher except for the injury). We'll see how they both do next year.

And while I agree that Allen wouldn't have had the same numbers with a feisty but limited QB like Clemens, I think the second part of that would have been how well he blocked. I think Quick had a much more successful season in the coaches eyes than the fans - and that's what matters. Quick had a decent season as a receiver, and a brilliant one as a blocker. As Coach Fisher likes his power running game, that's a larger part of his overall evaluation than it would be on a pass first team.

Anyway, glad we have McDonald and I expect him to do well for us in the future.
    Randart likes this.

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

Allen's question mark was not talent. It was his knees, and his history.

Danario Alexander was even better, and looked it when healthy, but where is he now?

Can't judge these two until a few years, to see who holds up, and who is gone too soon.
    Randart likes this.
    Barry Waller