Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By richtree
  • 1 Post By Tampa_Ram
  • 1 Post By RealRam

Thread: RichTree's Final 2013 Pre-Draft WR Rankings

richtree is offline Registered User

RichTree's Final 2013 Pre-Draft WR Rankings

Lets get right to it:

1. Cordarrelle Patterson Tenn 6'3" 205 --- He is still number one on my list because of his combo of speed, size, and explosion. Sure we all wish he had more reps at the DI level but in this class he is the best weapon in a league that basis its success on weapons. Projection Top 20 pick

2. Keenan Allen Cal 6'3" 220 -- Keenan Allen may be the steal of the draft. I think right now he may even be the Rams #1 target due to the fact that Patterson and/or Austin may be gone. He plays a style combo of Victor Cruz and Reggie Wayne and could line up anywhere. Projection Round 1

3. Tavon Austin Wvirg 5'9" 175 --
    He is still a legit weapon for any team that will commit to using him and changing some plays. If we were strictly ranking him as a WR, he would not be in my Top 10 WRs for this class. I still feel his greatest assest is from the backfield and I think he may be a higher ranked RB than WR, but either way a good coach can get production out of him. I think he is worth a Round 2 selection or should be in the 28-52 range of picks, but weapons are what runs the NFL, so I am sure he will be gone quickly. Projection Top 20 pick

4. Justin Hunter Tenn 6'4" 200 --
    I had guys like T.Williams, R.Woods, D. Hopkins, but after watching Hunter over an over I just can't pass him up. I think he will be a Round 1 pick and could be a WR with the greatest upside. He has speed to impact quickly and room to grown into touchdown machine. Projection Round 1

5. Aaron Dobson Marsh 6'3" 203 --
    Every year I have one guy that I think is way better than the 'public' ranks. I personally think Dobson is potentially the best WR in this draft due to doing everything well. He also has that something extra about him. I think if he can show the change of direction to succeed he may become a immediate starter and impact games for years. I think a tough team like Steelers, Packers, Seahawks would really like this guy, but again maybe I am over-touting him. He would be an early Round 2 pick for me but his real Projection Round 2-3 turn.

6. DeAndre Hopkins Clemson 6'1" 200 --
    Hopkins is a guy that sometimes looks like a sure Round 1 guy, then the next day looks like a Round 4 guy. He scares me because of the Clemson team inflating his numbers but his pure strength catching the ball is a sure talent. In a draft full of guy that play with speed, he may be a welcomed change catching the ball between the hashes and at its high point versus weaker Dbs. Could be a Round 1 sneaky entry but his real Projection Top 50.

7. Cobi Hamilton Ark 6'2" 199 --
    Here is the second guy that seems to be over-looked. Granted I am not a pro-scout and do not have access to each player personally, but I love Cobi Hamilton's talents. This guy could really fly and still has skill to go along with it. He loves to play with a fast offense, so teams that play quick would love him -- Redskins, Seahawks, Cowboys. I think he has enough talent to be a WR3 but this is a true boom or bust guy that could end up being like a Dwayne Harris or a Santana Moss. I would say he is a late round 2 pick but real Projection Round 2-3.

8a. Robert Woods USC 6'3" 190 --
    ​He is true burner that showed some real talent and strength. He is the hardest guy to place, because every time you review tape you want to put him as a Round 1 lock that will be a quick starter and one of the top 3 talents in this draft. The the next few minutes of video makes you think that maybe he can't handle the outside. I guess he is a true "tweener" and that is his problem, but maybe a positive as well. I think the second round will come and a good team like the Texans, Bears, or Ravens may scoop him up and feel great. Tough one but Projection Round 2.

8b. Quinton Patton LaTech 6'2" 195 --
    He started really high on draft boards because he has a ton of skills and has that "star" quality that was in TY Hilton and has that Danny Amendola heart. He did everything "good" not great, but his strength can really be questioned for playing with the big boys. I think he is a year 2 player and will fall to Round 3 because that will limit him. After a year of NFL training he could turn it up like a J.Edelman Projection Round 3

10. Markus Wheaton Org St 5'11" 183 --Lets not over complicate things with Marcus Wheton. Sometimes the best athletes just are better, and he is "GREAT" athlete.
    He is the Jacoby Jones of this draft. He will impact special teams, and can give that 'wow' play that can change a game. Does he have enough skill to contribute often, IDK..but if he gets the ball it will be exciting every single time. Projection Round 3

11. Da'Rick Rogers Tenn Tech 6'2" 206 --
    Here, I am trying to learn from my mistakes, or should I say from my past evaluations. Rogers looks like Greg Little only slower. He lives off his strong body, yet only 10 reps on bench at combine. Goodwin as a burner threw up 13 reps. I think Rogers is simply a guy that will never live up to it, and never get over the hump. He doesn't have close to the physical talent that Brian Quick has and we see his learning curve. Should be Round 4-5 guy but real Projection Round 3-4

12. Ace Sanders So Caro 5'9" 186 --
    This guy is high on Rams radar and is the perfect compliment to a team that needs a slot/hybrid/KR/PR guy. He is the poor man's Tavon Austin in the draft. I would rather have this guy in Round 3 and 4 and pair him up with Allen, Patterson, Hunter, Dobson, or Hopkins than try to find a late compliment for Austin. He is a true weapon but limited to slot/backfield/trick plays but will be selected later in draft with a great change of direction. Projection Round 3-4

13. Chris Harper Kan St 6'1" 228 -- He plays strong like a Jimmy Smith from TCU or D.Posey. Not sure if he has enough speed to be a starter, but can be a good 4th WR in sets and could play some slot. Hands and strength guy. He is solid and if he can develop routes he has a shot to help a team quickly.
    Projection Round 4

14. Aaron Mellette Elon 6'2" 197 --
    This is one of the guys I fell in love with early. I want to rank him on talent alone and put him at 11. My gut is that I should swith him and Rogers and I really, really, really think he will be a better player than Rogers. He has a super-strong body and some speed and is a freak athelte. He is even more raw than Brian Quick. He needs lots of skill work and coming from a small school he needs time. He is a Round 4 guy with Round 2 talent. Do you keep him around and develop him? I know the Rams will avoid this guy and want more developed players. There is something that rubs you the wrong way, but he is NFL ready physically. Projection Round 4

15. Conner Vernon Duke 6'0" 195 --He is the perfect late round guy for your team. I think he may go in Round 5 but I have the feeling this guy will succeed. He has the best hands in the draft outside the top 1 or 2 guys. He is super smart and has a big heart. He will run through a wall on special teams and he has room to get better. He is awkward, left handed, but the perfect sloppy slot guy. I would take this guy over Harper and be happy because I know he has big time hands and will get 1000% out of him. Projection Round 4-5

16. Ryan Swope Texas A&M 6'0" 206 -- This guy is so hard to place because after being a Running Back and moving to WR he becomes a "tweener" that doesn't have the quicks to come out of the backfield nor the size/ moves combo to play alot of downs at WR...Couple that with small hands he becomes a guy that an NFL offense has to commit to using. I don't see that happening for a rotational player. In addition, he probably can't help on special teams. It is hard because he put up the stats, and has the bench/40 numbers body is body and attitude don't match...He may even get drafted higher in Round 3-4 the other WRs but I would rather Vernon. Hard to compare...Jordan Shipley? Chris Owusu from last year was similar.....I think he will get a shot but fade, with outside chance of being slot guy, but my offical stay away guy.....Projection Round 3-4
    Last edited by richtree; -04-24-2013 at 12:02 PM.
    viper, Tampa_Ram and ZiaRam like this.

viper is offline Registered User

Re: RichTree's Final 2013 Pre-Draft WR Rankings

Really appreciate your insight into the various receivers, richtree. I find myself all over the board between the first four on your list. Originally, I wanted Patterson because he was considered the no. 1 receiver in the draft. Then I started liking Austin because of his play making ability and his movement up everyone's boards. But, I truly feel that what we are lacking is a true #1 outside receiver. After watching Patterson's highlight video, I definitely wanted Patterson. He is just awesome after the catch, not to mention his return skills. Then the report comes out that he will probably have difficulty learning an NFL system. So I'm thinking, maybe Keenan Allen, a physical player with most of the tools you are hoping for in a WR, except speed. But, that didn't hurt Bolden so it could work. I do worry about his injuries plaguing him though. Then Av picks Hunter in his final mock and you speak very highly of him as well.

I guess the good thing is that any one of them will make our team better. Fisher and Snead will be the ones that get to determine which one that they think will be the best fit for us, and I'm good with that. We are less than a week away now. I can't wait to find out how they ultimately decide to play it.

The cool thing is that day one of the draft is my birthday. I can't think of a better birthday present than two first round draft picks, including one of these receivers, along with the rest of the selections we get to make.

Go Rams!!!

p.s. I've had my signature below ever since we drafted Steven Jackson. It's kind of hard to think of changing it. But, maybe I'll find a new player to put there!

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Nice job as always Richtree. personally id have 4,5 and 6 as Hopkins, Hunter then Dobson. Everyone is so close this year and all depends on preference really.
    ZiaRam likes this.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Looks like a good list. I'd switch Hunter and Allen, though I don't know if that's because I believe Hunter is a better receiver or because I simply am not a fan of Anquan Boldin. Either way, I'd hope the Rams could land Patterson, Austin or Hunter.

RealRam is online now Registered User

Ryan Swope! Ryan 'Amendola' Swope!

*. Ryan Swope, Texas A&M; 6' 210 -- The former running back put up great numbers at the combine, including a 4.34 40-yard dash, but he does not consistently play at that speed. In fact, Swope's quick footwork when breaking off routes is his best asset. A team looking for a slot option in the late second or third day could target the Texas A&M product, since that is where he posted his best work.
    Projection Round 3

Randart likes this.

richtree is offline Registered User

got to 16 and got tired and busy., lol....maybe Ill just paste the rest without comments.....

Randart is offline Registered User

I like Swope as well, I think he will not fade unless he is misused. He could be a real asset to the Rams also a returner option as well as swiss knife wide out. He trully is a beauty in the eye of the beholder kinda guy I reckon. But his numbers and being a go to guy for Johnny Football speaks of his dependablity to me. Gotta love the comparisons to DA as well with more speed and bigger that is exciting to think about. Go Rams! Also nice job Rich, and if Woods makes it out of Round 2 undrafted I question the daffyness of the NFL, as in has it gone to Looney Tunes?
    Last edited by Randart; -04-25-2013 at 11:57 AM.

vanillasue is offline Registered User

"I think a tough team like Steelers, Packers, Seahawks would really like this guy,"

Packers a tough team ? They are as soft as jello. I do like Hunter after Hopkins, but Hunter needs to get off the ball better than he has shown. Little more strength and proper coaching ought to get him there.