RamsDynasty is offline Registered User

Wink Riddle Me This, Dorsey or Long

Of Dorsey, it is said, the best DT prospect in the last 10 years, the best Defensive prospect in the draft, a leader, a warrior, a champion. Compared to L. Glover, W. Sapp and B. Young, some of the best at the position over the last decade or so and likely Hall of famers.

Of Jake Long, Tough, Mean, Nasty, least likely to be bust BUT he is NO Joe Thomas. Compared to Jumbo Elliot a very good but not great or Hall of Fame level talent.

Of Chris Long, relentless, great blood lines, non stop motor, great work ethic, good head fo the game, solid citizen. Nothing wrong with that but he isn't even considered the best DE prospect of the last two years. No one is comparing him to Mario Williams and I haven't even heard that he clearly outclasses the elite DE prospects of last years draft, none of whom would be considered a break out success. He has been compared to Wistorm or Patrick Kearney. Both good players, solid pro's but neither are considered consistent Pro Bowl caliber talent much less Hall of Famers.

To the arguement that DT's take time to develop. What position doesn't? Mario Williams considered the best DE prospect in quite some time did little to impress his rookie season and is just now coming into his own. So the idea that DE's being a more instant impact position than DT seems dubious.

To me the choice is simple, a player ranked as the top prospect on 80% of NFL teams boards. The player favorably compared to future Hall of Famers or a player compared to solid citizen, hard working contributing players? If you have a dynasty in place maybe you can forgo talent for intangibles but when you are a 3-13 team, you NEED the best players possible. Even in the NBA you get your superstars first and then fill in with solid citizen role players. That is why roll players are always available every off season but superstars rarely shake loose. The choice here IS Glen Dorsey. Were Glen Dorsey to be picked in the spot before you pick there is NO shame in taking Chris Long; but to pass on Dorsey to take Chris Long does not seem to make good football sense. :l

GSOT Guest

Re: Riddle Me This, Dorsey or Long

You forgot to mention Chris Long is regarded as the second best athlete at defensive end at the teir one level. He ran a 4.7 at 280 and has amazing hips and quickness. Dorsey may be the better overall prospect but he is way more risky with his injuries and we already have two young studs at defensive tackle... WE NEED LONG and if we can make a trade with Atlanta to switch spots and pick up a 3rd or more I think that would be the best way to go.

60611 Guest

Re: Riddle Me This, Dorsey or Long

Quote Originally Posted by RamsDynasty View Post
    Of Dorsey, it is said, the best DT prospect in the last 10 years, the best Defensive prospect in the draft, a leader, a warrior, a champion. Compared to L. Glover, W. Sapp and B. Young, some of the best at the position over the last decade or so and likely Hall of famers.

Of Jake Long, Tough, Mean, Nasty, least likely to be bust BUT he is NO Joe Thomas. Compared to Jumbo Elliot a very good but not great or Hall of Fame level talent.

Of Chris Long, relentless, great blood lines, non stop motor, great work ethic, good head fo the game, solid citizen. Nothing wrong with that but he isn't even considered the best DE prospect of the last two years. No one is comparing him to Mario Williams and I haven't even heard that he clearly outclasses the elite DE prospects of last years draft, none of whom would be considered a break out success. He has been compared to Wistorm or Patrick Kearney. Both good players, solid pro's but neither are considered consistent Pro Bowl caliber talent much less Hall of Famers.

To the arguement that DT's take time to develop. What position doesn't? Mario Williams considered the best DE prospect in quite some time did little to impress his rookie season and is just now coming into his own. So the idea that DE's being a more instant impact position than DT seems dubious.

To me the choice is simple, a player ranked as the top prospect on 80% of NFL teams boards. The player favorably compared to future Hall of Famers or a player compared to solid citizen, hard working contributing players? If you have a dynasty in place maybe you can forgo talent for intangibles but when you are a 3-13 team, you NEED the best players possible. Even in the NBA you get your superstars first and then fill in with solid citizen role players. That is why roll players are always available every off season but superstars rarely shake loose. The choice here IS Glen Dorsey. Were Glen Dorsey to be picked in the spot before you pick there is NO shame in taking Chris Long; but to pass on Dorsey to take Chris Long does not seem to make good football sense. :l
    I gotta admit, I love the completely uninformed posts about Chris Long, his bloodlines, his training from the time he was a little boy, his perceived ceiling, etc., from guys who 5 months ago had no idea who he was. As for Kerney, he was runner-up NFL defensive player of the year last year. Such a distinction does equate to merely a "solid pro." Comaring Kerney to Wistrom is pretty hilarious, I must say.