Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Country is offline Registered User

Rivals Draft Grades [Rams Win]

smizzhfx is offline Registered User

Re: Rivals Draft Grades [Rams Win]

Unfortunately, I think the Cardinals had the best draft. Levi Brown may have been a bit of a reach at #5 but fills an obvious need and will help solidify a hurting line. Branch was excellent value in the 2nd round. Buster Davis, despite his size, is a solid backer and Ben Patrick was a steal in the 7th.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I would probably give the division nod to the Whiners. Grabbing Patrick Willis and Joe Staley in the first round while gaining Indy's first rounder in 2008 was a great deal. On top of that they add Jason Hill and Ray McDonald, who should be a great fit in their 3-4 defense at the end position. Moore should provide good depth as a stand-up rush linebacker as well as on special teams, and Brown fell because of character issues but has the talent of a first day player.

It's hard to give the nod to Arizona considering they reached slightly to take Levi Brown due to need. It's also hard to give them the top spot since they only had five picks when it was all said and done. Whisenhunt wants to show some more 3-4 looks, which makes me wonder where exactly the undersized Buster Davis fits into the equation. They do get credit though for moving up to take Alan Branch and getting Ben Patrick so late, though it seems pretty clear that his value to NFL teams was not nearly as high as it was to draft analysts.

Seattle's draft confuses me in some respect. They took a corner in round one last year and then spend their first pick in this draft on one as well. Obviously their secondary needs help, and maybe they're not expecting to be able to resign Trufant in the next two seasons, but it seemed strange to take a corner there. Kalil would have been an interesting pick that, had it been made, could have allowed them to shift Spencer outside to guard. Mebane in the mid to late third was good value, but they put off adding to their offensive line until the fourth where they took a guy who has only one year of experience playing on the O-line. They then took two WRs in the sixth round who will be lucky if either make it on the team as a #5 receiver, and they completely ignored their need at tight end until after the draft where they signed Joe Newton.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Question for you, Nick: How did the ***** end up with Indy's first rounder in '08? Also, what do you know about Brown and Moore, I've never heard of 'em?

WHAT SAY YE?

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    Question for you, Nick: How did the ***** end up with Indy's first rounder in '08? Also, what do you know about Brown and Moore, I've never heard of 'em?
    San Francisco traded their own 2008 first round pick in combination with a '07 fourth rounder to move back into the first round to select Joe Staley. They made this trade with New England by acquiring their second 1st round pick, so basically the Patriots just said they'd rather have two first rounders next year than this year. Then, potential left tackle Tony Ugoh was falling at the top of round two and the Colts gave their 2008 first rounder to San Fran and their '07 fourth rounder in order to move up in round two and take Ugoh.

So the 'Niners traded away their fourth and their '08 1st, and then acquired a fourth and an '08 first. So as I understand it, in order to get Joe Staley, they basically just moved down in this year's fourth round and next year's first round. A very, very cunning move on their part, but probably not completely premeditated because they would have had no idea that Ugoh would (1) be there at their pick and (2) would cause Indy to trade their '08 first to get him.

As for the players they acquired in the later rounds, Jay Moore was the other starting defensive end at Nebraska on the other side of Adam Carriker. He's a very high motor hard working kind of player who is likely going to stand up and play linebacker in the *****' 3-4 defensive scheme. He can rush the passer pretty well from the edge but also has the versatility to drop back in coverage or potentially stay with a tight end. He was one of the players I was hoping would last to our pick in round four since we needed to find an edge rusher. The ***** really made it a point to add a lot of quality to their group of LBs this offseason. They shouldn't have a problem finding another rush 'backer to play opposite of Manny Lawson this season.

As for Tarell Brown, he was a pretty solid third round prospect until he was arrested on March 24, his second in less than a year. So character concerns caused him to fall to round five, where the risk of taking that kind of player are not nearly as big. He could challenge Shawntae Spencer for the nickel corner job but will likely solidify himself as a dime back and special teams player in his rookie season. He was a three year starter at Texas who could really be a steal if he can prove his off the field stuff was the exception and not the norm.

Fortuninerhater is online now Registered User

The more I read about other teams making trades to solidify future draft picks, the more it makes me sick that our front office doesn't think in terms of the future. It seems like SF is always aquiring picks for future drafts, whereas we have never made a significant trade that sets us up for the future.

A golden opportunity was missed in this years draft when Cleveland appeared desperate to trade back into the 1st round to draft a falling Brady Quinn. In my estimation we were in the perfect position to end up with multiple picks this year plus Clevelands' almost certain top ten pick next year. In my opinion it was a huge mistake to pass on such an opportunity.

Hopefully it doesn't come back to haunt us. Maybe Cleveland will win the Superbowl making that likely top ten pick the number 32 pick, and Adam Carriker makes the pro-bowl and helps turn our defense into a top ten defense. Unfortunately, from where I sit, that is the only way this blunder won't haunt us.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

but who after us was going to take Quinn? The Browns had no reason to trade into the 13 spot when he would have fallen all the way down to 20 anyway whether we made a trade or not.

I was listening to all the local sportstalk shows just after the draft, and Clevelands' GM was on saying they called every team starting with the 12th pick. So I know the Rams passed on a possible trade.

The Rams passed on the trade because their guy was there at 13. Trading with Cleveland would have meant trading out of the first round altogether. It's not like we were dropping down a few spots. We were dropping out of the first round entirely. Why do that when the guy you want is available at your pick?

Because the guy you want is not worth a 2nd and 3rd this year, and a likely top ten pick next year Nick, provided of course, the front office doesn't screw up the picks.

Not only that Nick, but I firmly beleive that the Rams could've turned that 2nd from Cleveland into Kris Jenkins no matter what they're saying. Some combination of that pick and maybe a player or 2nd day pick would've undoubtedly landed Jenkins.

Then the question becomes would you rather have Adam Carriker or Jenkins and a top ten pick next year? I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Jenkins and the 1st rounder at this point. Not to mention the fact that we also could've pried a 2nd day pick from Cleveland in the deal as well.

Now I ask you Nick, is Adam Carriker worth all of that?

Rambos is online now Registered User

The more I read about other teams making trades to solidify future draft picks, the more it makes me sick that our front office doesn't think in terms of the future. It seems like SF is always aquiring picks for future drafts, whereas we have never made a significant trade that sets us up for the future.
    How can you say that, last year we traded back in the first roound and got another third. This year we traded a 4th and got two 5th round picks.

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    Because the guy you want is not worth a 2nd and 3rd this year, and a likely top ten pick next year Nick, provided of course, the front office doesn't screw up the picks.
    If the Rams feel like they can contend this year, which based on their offensive free agent signings and 8-8 record in 2006 they do, then dropping down a round and getting another first next year doesn't help them right now.

Having two 2008 first rounders would be great, but not at the expense of dropping 23 slots with your first pick. Besides, it's complete conjecture to think we know (1) that the Rams even got a serious call from Cleveland or (2) what exactly was offered by the Browns if they called.

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    Then the question becomes would you rather have Adam Carriker or Jenkins and a top ten pick next year?
    Considering I don't think they were interested in making that deal for Jenkins, no, I don't think the question becomes a choice between those two situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    If the Rams feel like they can contend this year, which based on their offensive free agent signings and 8-8 record in 2006 they do, then dropping down a round and getting another first next year doesn't help them right now.
    If the Rams felt like they can contend this year, I'm almost certain they felt that way even before the draft started. Therefore, it makes all the sense in the world to do the deal with Cleveland, because 1, you already feel you're a contender. And 2, there have been many HOFamers drafted in the 2nd round and below.

Having two 2008 first rounders would be great, but not at the expense of dropping 23 slots with your first pick. Besides, it's complete conjecture to think we know (1) that the Rams even got a serious call from Cleveland or (2) what exactly was offered by the Browns if they called.
    First off, this certainly is a matter of opinion, because I obviously totally disagree with you, for the reason I stated above, and I reiterate, many HOFamers have been drafted in the second round and below.

Secondly, if Cleveland's GM says they tried to trade back into the first round starting with the 12th pick, I'll take him at his word.

And finally, we know they were offering at least a 2nd this year and a 1st next year, but that was for the 22nd pick. One has to assume that the Rams were in a position at 13, to demand even more than that.

Considering I don't think they were interested in making that deal for Jenkins, no, I don't think the question becomes a choice between those two situations.
    Even if Jenkins were not the guy they wanted, you still make the deal with Cleveland, and draft one of several impact DLinemen still left on the board in the 2nd round if no other deal for an established DT was imminent. Then you make a new question substituting Jenkins' name for another one, plus a likely top 10 next year.
    Last edited by Nick; -05-24-2007 at 11:10 AM.

I've gotta learn how to use that QUOTE tool. My responses are mixed in with yours Nick except for the last one, but you can sort it out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast