RockinRam is offline Registered User

Rockin's Mock Draft (@ the playoffs)

Another one of my mock drafts.

Some changes have been made since my last mock, including the addition of the FA. Well, here it goes.

FA:

Mark Anderson, DE Chicago Bears (Mid-level FA signing)

Richard Marshall, CB Carolina Panthers (Premium-level FA signing)

Chris Gocong, OLB Philadelphia Eagles (Low-level FA signing)

Tony Scheffler, TE Denver Broncos (Mid-level FA signing)

Re-signing:

O.J Atogwe

James Hall

Gary Gibson

Craig Dahl

Clifton Ryan

The team's needs after the Free Agency:

DT
    QB
    back-up RB
    #1 WR
    OLB (Chris Gocong will man one OLB spot.)
    OG
    RT

Draft:

Round 1:

Ndamukong Suh, DT, 6-4 300+ lbs. Nebraska

There is no need for me to preach what has already been preached many times.

Round 2:

Damian Williams, WR, 6-1 190lbs. USC

Some people will question this and say, how about Demaryius Thomas out of Georgia Tech? Won't Williams go in the first round?

IMO, I think Williams is going to be available in the start of the second round. Some franchises might go after WR's with prettier numbers than Williams, which might have him being available for us in the second round.

Why Williams you ask?

Because Williams plays in a pro-style offense, has elite route running which is a perfect fit for our WCO, is very quick out of his cuts, great hands, amazing hand-eye coordination, and is a very smart football player with good character.

Round 3:

Gabe Carimi, OT, 6-8, 320lbs. Wisconsin

Took over for Joe Thomas in Wisconsin, a school known for producing solid O-linemen. Carimi has very good footwork for a 6-8 human being, and is very stout in pass protection. Has enough athleticism to man the LT spott in the NFL, but he would excel at the RT due to his amazing run blocking skills. Very balanced blocker who uses his long arms to push defenders off the line of scrimmage.

Round 4:

Sean Canfield, QB, 6-4, 215lbs. Oregon State

Lacking in athleticism, strength and speed, he makes up for it with good accuracy and good arm strength. He is a very good pocket passer, always maintaining his composure in the pocket, and makes the correct reads. Shows good touch and timing on his passes, with a good release.

Round 5:

Dexter McCluster, RB/WR, 5-8, 170lbs. Ole Miss

May drop because franchises might hesitate on him due to his small frame, which would lead to questions about durability/injury proneness..etc.

Would be a great change of pace back for Steven Jackson. Very quick and elusive, and has good ball carrying vision. Can also be used effectively in screens, which would optimize his speed.

Round 5:

Kavell Conner, OLB, 6-1, 235lbs. Clemson

Had a great junior season in 2008 amassing 125 tackles. Dropped off a bit in 2009, but still picked up over 100 tackles. Connor is a very strong linebacker, with good durability. Should challenge Vobora for the last OLB spot.
    Round 6:

Brandon Carter, OG, 6-7, 350lbs. Texas Tech

Underrated lineman. Was suspended for some time this season, but came back strong and was one of the Big 12's best blockers. Has a massive frame, and bulldozes defenders off the line of scrimmage. Shows amazing intensity every play, and will not give up. Will initially start as a back-up, but should make his way into the starting line-up midway through the season, or by next year.

Round 7:

Andrew Quarless, TE, 6-5, 255lbs. Penn State

Had some character problems during his college career. But, has pulled his act together during his senior year. Is a very good receiving tight end, who is surprisingly fast. Quarless with Scheffler could give us a solid TE duo.

Round 7:

Brandon Sharpe, DE/OLB, 6-3, 254lbs. Texas Tech

Will not wow you with his speed, strength, or talent, but always somehow finds a way to get to the QB. Had 17 sacks this year as a senior. With more bulk, and the right coaching, this guy could be a force.

Wrap-up:

As you can see, most of the draft's emphasis is on the offense, since that is the unit on this team that needs the most help. Defense has been taken care of by the FA, with a few more additions by the draft.

Mark Anderson, Ndamukong Suh, and Brandon Sharpe are added onto the defensive line.

Chris Gocong and Kavell Conner are added onto the linebacker corp.

Richard Marshall solidifies our secondary by being a true starter opposite of Bartell.

Gabe Carimi and Brandon Carter are added onto our offensive line.

Tony Scheffler, Andrew Quarless, Damian Williams and Dexter McCluster are added as much needed playmakers/receiving threats.

Sean Canfield is our QB of the future.
    Last edited by RockinRam; -01-18-2010 at 02:42 AM.

Re: Rockin's Mock Draft (@ the playoffs)

Depth Chart going intot 2011:

QB: Marc Bulger / Sean Canfield / Keith Null

RB: Steven Jackson / Chris Ogbonayya-Dexter McCluster

FB: Mike Karney / Billy Bajema

TE: Tony Scheffler / Andrew Quarless / Daniel Fells

WR: Damian Williams / Brandon Gibson / Keenan Burton

WR: Laurent Robinson / Donnie Avery / Danny Amendola

LT: Jason Smith / Adam Goldberg

LG: Jacob Bell / Brandon Carter

C: Jason Brown

RG: John Greco / Brandon Carter

RT: Gabe Carimi / Adam Goldberg

LE: Chris Long / Brandon Sharpe-James Hall

RE: Mark Anderson / Brandon Sharpe-James Hall

DT: Ndamukong Suh / Adam Carriker / Gary Gibson

NT: Clifton Ryan / Darell Scott / Leger Douzable

SLB: Kavell Conner / David Vobora

MLB: James Laurinaitis / K.C Asiodu

WLB: Chris Gocong / Chris Chamberlin

CB: Ron Bartell / Bradley Fletcher / Johnathan Wade

CB: Richard Marshall / Justin King / Quincy Butler

FS: O.J Atogwe / Craig Dahl

SS: James Butler / Craig Dahl

K: Josh Brown

P: Donnie Jones

Waterboy: Me.
    Last edited by RockinRam; -01-18-2010 at 06:25 PM.

Varg6 is online now Registered User

Looks good to me brother, nice job.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

timsum1283 is offline Registered User

really like what you've done here. questioning what round mccluster would go in but would definitely be happy if the Rams picked him up. I watched Kavell O'Conner this year and he wasn't the biggest playmaker on defense but he was very reliable tackler. Sean Canfield seems like a solid possibility nowadays. Very well constructed mock draft, sir.

RamVee is offline Registered User

Sean Canfield isn't from Pitt...he's at Oregon State. Steven Jackson may take offense to your misrepresentation!

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Breaking News: Gains Adams is dead

I dont think Mark Anderson is going anywhere

I made a mock and we have the same pick in Cavell Conner lol.

I like the Camini pick and if available Damian Williams is good.

Overall its great but dexter mccluster is a no he will get beat up at the next level

If we can't get Mark Anderson, Daryll Tapp could be another option.

As for McCluster, we're not going to be using him full time. IMO, Chris Ogby is going to get more carries than him. What I'm thinking is that we use him like what the Saints do with Reggie, which is giving him short quick passes where thtey have the open field in front of them to work their magic. More of a hybrid scatback.

Kavell Conner isn't going to wow anyone with big plays, but he's a good tackler, and is always around the ball. Just like James Laurinaitis.

Quote Originally Posted by RamVee View Post
    Sean Canfield isn't from Pitt...he's at Oregon State. Steven Jackson may take offense to your misrepresentation!

Oh my fault on that. I was pondering if I should put Sean Canfield on my mock or Bill Stull, the QB from Pittsuburgh, and I guess I accidentally typed Pittsburgh.

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    Overall its great but dexter mccluster is a no he will get beat up at the next level

via fftoolbox

McCluster has not been able to wreak such havoc on a consistent basis and he probably never will -- especially not at the next level -- given his diminutive frame. It's simply impossible for him to impose his will physically on defenders. That said, he can certainly be a real weapon in the NFL just like he is in college. Teams could use him as a Darren Sproles-type running back, and could also be a lethal pass-catching option lining up in the slot. McCluster has all the makings of a special teams standout as well. Injuries (not surprisingly) have been a bit of a concern, but NFL teams can live with that because he is not going to be an every-down player. He will simply provide a home-run threat on occasional plays, and perhaps frequently in Wildcat formations. His athleticism, and speed in the low 4.3s of the 40-yard dash, should earn McCluster nothing worse than a 3rd round selection in the 2010 draft.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    via fftoolbox

I'm wondering if you read that and still decided to have him go in the fifth. If so, what is your reasoning?

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    I'm wondering if you read that and still decided to have him go in the fifth. If so, what is your reasoning?

Because teams might not want to spend a third round pick on a fragile, not very durable player that isn't going to play every down.

Some might argue, why did the Bengals pick Maualauga then last year in the second when he is most likely only going to be used on run downs? Well, pass coverage can be taught. Growing another 5 inches can't.

If McCluster drops because of his issues, then we should grab him. He will be sharing the reps with Chris Ogby anyways.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    Because teams might not want to spend a third round pick on a fragile, not very durable player that isn't going to play every down.

Some might argue, why did the Bengals pick Maualauga then last year in the second when he is most likely only going to be used on run downs? Well, pass coverage can be taught. Growing another 5 inches can't.

If McCluster drops because of his issues, then we should grab him. He will be sharing the reps with Chris Ogby anyways.
    Hold on let me get this straight.

I said he will beat up (meaning he is fragile)

Then you counter with a quote from fftoolbox saying he is a darren sproils type RB

Then Shower beers questions weather he will drop to the 5th

The you counter saying other teams might think he is too fragile.

Isnt that what i said in the begging?

And there are good scouts out there how do you the the Rams are going to be the only team to notice how physical he is?
    Last edited by BarronWade; -01-19-2010 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Spelling

msha is offline Registered User

good mock but i would take lefevour over canfield because lefevour finished his career with 102 tds and canfield only had 38 and lefevour is more accuate and can run with the ball

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by msha View Post
    good mock but i would take lefevour over canfield because lefevour finished his career with 102 tds and canfield only had 38 and lefevour is more accuate and can run with the ball
    How many TDs did Graham Harrell finish with?

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    Hold on let me get this straight.

I said he will beat up (meaning he is fragile)

Then you counter with a quote from fftoolbox saying he is a darren sproils type RB

Then Shower beers questions weather he will drop to the 5th

The you counter saying other teams might think he is too fragile.

Isnt that what i said in the begging?

And there are good scouts out there how do you the the Rams are going to be the only team to notice how physical he is?
    First off, I was not countering you with my quote...

I was providing other people more info about McCluster...

This is my claim. If teams set aside the durability issues of McCluster, and look at him with a talent point of view, he could very well go in the 3rd. But, that's not going to happen. Many teams looking for a full time back-up running back aren't going to consider him very closely because of his frame, injury/durability issues...

That's why I have McCluster in my mock going in the fifth. The only way McCluster should go earlier than the middle of the fourth round is because if a team is looking for a fast, quick RB/scatback who is going to come in occasionally and make some big plays, but would be limited in reps.

When McCluster comes into the NFL, he is not going to be a RB. He's going to be a playmaker, capable of either taking some reps in the backfield, catching some screens, or dump passes.