MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Roger Hensley: What position will Rams address first in free agency?

BY ROGER HENSLEY STLtoday.com | Posted: Tuesday, July 19, 2011 12:02 pm | (8)
    Poll

QUESTION: Once the NFL lockout is lifted, which position do you think the Rams will attack first in free agency?

JIM THOMAS

Even in the normal feeding frenzy at the start of a normal free agency period, teams multi-task and work on securing two or three positions at once. That will be especially true this year once the lockout ends. Free agency will be like an ultra-fast version of speed dating. Even so, the first calls made by the Rams could involve running back and defensive tackle.

BRYAN BURWELL

Call me crazy, but I think one of the first things they will do is ignore the inclination to make a big splash (i.e. big-play wide receiver or change-of-pace running back) and instead make a run at an interior lineman to bolster the offensive line.

While a lot of people may not necessarily agree with GM Billy Devaney, he believes when everyone is healthy, his receiving corps has what it takes to get the job done. But to me one of the most glaring weaknesses the Rams had last year was the inability to dominate the interior line. They need to either give G John Greco a legitimate shot at winning a starting job or go find a dominant OG on the free agent market.

BILL COATS

My guess would be backup running back. There will be a couple of tempting guys available (Reggie Bush, Darren Sproles), and the Rams are well aware how important an issue this has become as Steven Jackson heads into his eighth NFL season.

JEFF GORDON

Given the short window of opportunity, they will attack several areas at once. They need help at outside linebacker, running back, guard, safety and defensive tackle. I donít mind their wide receiver corps if Mark Clayton returns, but there may be opportunities to enchance competition there, too. I donít see the Rams making a huge free-agent splash, but they could exploit the market to become more sturdy. And after that, they will have opportunities when teams start trimming surplus.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Re: Roger Hensley: What position will Rams address first in free agency?

I agree with Burwell, Im hoping for some big push to secure a guard, we cannot go into the season with Goldberg.? John Greco may become the answer, just as long as its not Goldberg. Safety needs upgrading almost just as bad as guard, although the safety position has a bit more potential with some of the rookies drafted. I also hope they make a move getting Jackson some help, but wouldnt hold my breath.?

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

****RUMOR*****

From a fairly good source. RAMS will pursue Reggie Bush but will not break the bank to get him. Also learned that Sproles has not created any interest from our RAMS. Plaxico isn't on the RAMS radar either.

GO RAMS!!!!

Burwell needs to put the crack pipe down! Now!

We have a very mobile Sam Bradford and he needs toys.....as in offensive weapons!

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    Burwell needs to put the crack pipe down! Now!

We have a very mobile Sam Bradford and he needs toys.....as in offensive weapons!
    And one of those weapons could be a more effective Steven Jackson. Without some improvement our run blocking will remain substandard, and he will continue to run into a stone wall. This does not help Sam in any way and, in fact, will take away a QBs best friend; a tough and efficient running attack.

Imagine how much better Sam would be if he was able to use play action passes along with being put in 3rd and short as frequently as possible.

If Greco is not the guy then we need to move quickly to get someone who can bolster our interior line.

And I hope that Billy has this need at or near the top of his list.

WHAT SAY YE?

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post

If Greco is not the guy then we need to move quickly to get someone who can bolster our interior line.

WHAT SAY YE?
    There is that 2 letter word...the fly in the ointment. (IF)

Sorry, I still want weapons for our Superstar bound QB.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Since teams will first have the opportunity to deal with their own personnel, I think they'll address WR first by resigning Mark Clayton. After that, I wouldn't be surprised to see them make a push for DT Cofield or an reasonably priced offensive guard. Running back will be another area where they're going to want to improve, but the price and age will have to be right. Plenty of teams have made mistakes by giving too much money to a veteran back-up runner who hasn't panned out like they thought he would.