Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Roman Harper to Be Cut. Could Rams Have interest?

Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: Roman Harper to Be Cut. Could Rams Have interest?

Malcolm Jenkins could be a good fit. Good size, knows the system as he played for Williams. He also was a teammate of James Laurinaitis at the Ohio State University and he could be had for a decent price.

Jenkins was selected in the 1st round of the 2009 draft. He's 6'0" - 204, and turns 27 in December. Among this years free agent crop at free safety, he's not as highly touted as Ward, Byrd, or Donte Whitner. Jenkins has never quite lived up to the expectations of a 1st round pick, although he has shown flashes at times. His best seasons were during the tenure of Gregg Williams as DC in New Orleans (2009-2011). Under Williams, Jenkins was a 2nd team All-Pro selection in 2010. Although not a huge difference-maker, he's a solid, above average free safety who might again thrive with Williams at the helm. In 2013, Jenkins accounted for 94 combined tackles, 7 passes defended, and 1 interception.

MrLegend28 is offline Registered User

Harper would be a waste of a roster spot. hes done

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Malcolm Jenkins could be a good fit. Good size, knows the system as he played for Williams. He also was a teammate of James Laurinaitis at the Ohio State University and he could be had for a decent price.
    I was thinking about Jenkins as well since Harper is a SS. But if we're going to spend FA $ on a soso FS, we may be better to stay with McLeod, who's not awful, maybe he will be coached up for next season and draft a FS with a higher ceiling than Jenkins. I don't think we're going to select Clinton-Dix. He's the best house on an ugly block and at the end of the day it's still a bad block.

I still have this nagging suspicion that the Rams may try to find enough cap space after cuts and restructures to go after Byrd. Of course that means Saffold goes away, but we have better opportunities at replacing Saffold. My belief is fueled by the thought that we need to find a way to add 3-4 more wins next season.

Go Rams!

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

In a lot of defenses now, the SS / FS thing isn't as defined as it once was.

Adding a guy who knows the defense to compete and help the young guys would be a great mov eto me, you get the guy when he is down in value a bit, which the Rams need with their tight cap.

Those talking going after a Byrd type safety in FA are delusional. He wants CB money.

If the Rams coul d get both Jabari Greer and Harper at a good price, the kind of move like the Ravens made to win a SB, or t hat NE does all the time, seems to be an easy choice.

And at 6-1 , 200 Harper is hardly too much a "box" guy not to be able to move to FS at times, then you just take him out on 3rd and long type situations.

And he came into the NFL after playing FS at Alabama and running a 4.5 forty time at the combine.
    Roman Harper, Alabama, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com
    Barry Waller

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

Louis Delmas also out there npw.
    Barry Waller

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Waller View Post
    In a lot of defenses now, the SS / FS thing isn't as defined as it once was.

Those talking going after a Byrd type safety in FA are delusional. He wants CB money.
    I realize that it's a long shot at best, but guys like Byrd, or TJ Ward place us in a competitive position with SF and Seattle. I wouldn't underestimate the urgency Les Snead and Jeff Fisher feel to move to the next level. Not saying it's done with signing a rock star FS but it's one step out of several. In all likelihood some team will cough up the big $ for Byrd or Ward but never say never.

Go Rams!

bruce4life is offline Registered User

I like the idea of adding Jabari Greer for Nickel / Dime scenarios and depth plus Malcolm Jenkins. Then if we could add Dennard somehow to fold our secondary would be set for any situation, depth, injury.

CBS- Jenkins, Johnson, Mcgee, Greer, Dennard
    Safety- Mcloud, Mcdonald, Jenkins, fill in blank

What do you guys think?

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bruce4life View Post
    I like the idea of adding Jabari Greer for Nickel / Dime scenarios and depth plus Malcolm Jenkins. Then if we could add Dennard somehow to fold our secondary would be set for any situation, depth, injury.

CBS- Jenkins, Johnson, Mcgee, Greer, Dennard
    Safety- Mcloud, Mcdonald, Jenkins, fill in blank

What do you guys think?
    That'd be one hell of a secondary, plus they're all relatively young

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12