eldfan is offline Registered User

Is Ron Bartell the most underrated free agent?

{From CBS Sport} That's exactly what Ronald Bartell was in 2008a very good player stuck on a horrible team. A fourth year cornerback in 2008, Bartell had his best year in St. Louis. He registered 57 tackles and 19 pass deflections. Looking at his stat sheet, you would probably say it was his second best year. In 2007, Bartell made 67 tackles and had two interceptions.

But what should stand out to a real fan is that he was not a starter in 2006, and yet still had a solid year as a nickel corner, producing starter numbers. In 2008, Bartell took over for the struggling and injured Tye Hill and shut down some of the league's top receiver.

When Ron broke into the NFL in 2005, he was seen as a project due to the lack of competition at Howard University. The Rams looked at him as a big talent with all of the intangibles; he just needed to put it all together.

Following a strong rookie season, Bartell struggled through much of the 2006 season but flourished later on, recording three interceptions in the final three games, one being returned for a touchdown.

The knock on Bartell was that he would follow up a great play with two bad ones, but it was only a matter of time until he put it all together.

The 2007 season was a coming out party for Bartell. Due to injuries to starters Tye Hill and Fakhir Brown, Bartell was given the chance to be a starter. His best game was in a 35-7 beating at the hands of the Cowboys. Bartell was in single coverage with Terrell Owens for the entire game and held Owens to just three receptions on the day for 33 yards.

As I mentioned earlier, Bartell is a very good player stuck on a bad team. He and safety O.J. Atogwe are free agents this year and should be the Rams' top priorities going into the offseason. Whoever signs Bartell for the 2009 season is getting a high quality player.

Bartell has tremendous top-end speed as well as recovery speed (just ask Michael Turner) to go along with a very solid frame. I have no doubt that he will be the steal of the 2009 free agency period.

Possible suitors: Minnesota, Green Bay, Chicago, Detroit, Dallas, Kansas City, New England

:ramlogo:

eldfan is offline Registered User

Re: Is Ron Bartell the most underrated free agent?

My goodness I hope we don't loose him.
    :ramlogo:

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

although he seemed a bit of a reach at the time for where we drafted him ..ive always though Bartell had the tools to be our number 1 corner..now he`s grown into that role i would go absolutely mental if we let him slip away.

i dont think we will tho..Devaney seems more clued up than the previous decision makers.

diehard99 is offline Registered User

Underated? Some sources list him #2 CB behind Raiders CB. He turns and looks for the ball in coverage more than the rest of our CB's. I think Wade is better than some give him credit.

soup1981 Guest

I hope we sign him he is our best CB, if we don't it would be a move by the same ol rams. Letting all of our good young players that we draft go..

itsguud is offline Registered User

He won't be if people keep posting threads like this... take it down take it down... whattya want the whole league to know about him

jmk321 is offline Registered User

Bartell was in Sports Illustrated in an article about Larry Fitzgerald talking about covering him. It's nice to hear guys like Bartell get respected around the league but it'd be better if people started printing articles like this after the Rams resign him.