View Poll Results: Which QB would you take in Round 2?

Voters
94. You may not vote on this poll
  • Colt McCoy, Texas

30 31.91%
  • Tony Pike, Cincinnati

11 11.70%
  • Ryan Mallett, Arkansas

21 22.34%
  • Tim Tebow, Florida

5 5.32%
  • Dan LeFevour, Central Michigan

3 3.19%
  • I'd rather take a player at another position.

24 25.53%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Round 2 QB Poll

molar_pistol is offline Registered User

Re: Round 2 QB Poll

i voted mallett, and if not him then mccoy, but i don't know if either will be available for our 2nd pick anyways, especially with locker out.

Dr. Defense is offline Registered User

Gotta go with McCoy on this one. He has exactly what I am looking for. A mobile quarterback that can roll out or stand in the pocket and is an accurate passer. He prefers the short and medium range throws and let the receivers do their jobs (sounds like a west coast offense to me). If necessary he can bomb it down the field, but it is an area that he could use some work in. I will really be interested in seeing how he holds up against Alabama. That could be a make or break game for him.

DetLionsFan is offline Registered User

I won't vote in the actual poll, since it is for Rams fans, but just my two cents, I think Mallet is a terrific talent, I don't think Pike has an NFL caliber arm, I think Tebow will be drafted to high and eventually bust (in Jacksonville). Being a MAC alum (EMU), I have watched Dan LeFevour all 4 years at central. It isn't always pretty, but he gets things done. I don't know how he will project to the NFL, but I don't think he will grade out high enough to take in the 2nd round. I think he is worth a draft and develop pick, but I don't know that you can use a 2nd rounder for that. So, I would choose Mallet, with my 2nd choice being Colt McCoy

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I have said it before, I will repeat it again:

There is NOT a QB in this draft that deserves the title of "Potential Franchise QB". Especially when a QB needs one thing the Rams are lacking: a TRUE deep threat, sticky handed WR. Our O-line actually improved this season, and our QB's have had more time to pass the ball. The reason the offense struggled is not solely on the QB, nor is it all on the coaching. Let me put it this way...

An Enfield .303 is a fine weapon, deadly accurate at a long distance. I own one for this very reason. However, there are two other things that I need to use this weapon effectively: Ammunition and a target. Almost any QB with a halfway decent O-line can aim the ball and pull the trigger...even Ryan Leaf did in college. However, without ammunition (coaching) of the right type, or a target (wide reciever) in the right place, the weapon is nothing more than a really cool, expensive paperweight.

I think the Rams should wait on a QB until FA or the 2011 draft. Bulger or a possible free agent would be serviceable enough IF there was a quality WR available in the draft. Before you start in on this - let me point out something else -

Who is the greater QB, Trent Green or Kurt Warner? Truth is, in '99, everyone was pumped about having Green in the horns. Who did the Rams draft with their first pick? Some guy named Torry Holt. We all know he NEVER had any impact on how an unknown QB named Warner succeeded. Oh, wait, he DID have a MAJOR impact on how much success a then-unknown QB had. Trent Green may have had a year just like Warner, but we will never know.

We need a WR much more than we need a QB at this point.
    Last edited by RamsFanSam; -12-29-2009 at 01:56 PM.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

How can you pick when you don't know what other players are available? Or are we just throwing out BPA all together and trying to build via a mold? If a premier OLB, WR, CB, OT or DE falls to the Rams in the second round (like Lau did), are they going to let him slide past to fill a need?

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

If the Rams are taking a QB in the second round, and those are the options available, I'd go with Mallett followed by McCoy. That said, bowl games and offseason workouts will obviously play a big part in the process. We've spent weeks hoping either McCoy or Pike would be there in the second, but with poor bowl showings and average arm displays during the offseason (both things being at least possible), they may not even be good value at that point in the second. We'll just have to see what happens as we go through the process.

sdobbers is offline Registered User

Honestly if we don't select a QB in the first, I'd rather us not waste a pick on any of these QB's and just wait till 2011. McCoy and Tebow are overrated as quarterbacks (this coming from a Texas fan), they are good in college but I honestly believe they will be busts in the NFL. Franchise quarterbacks are generally found in the 1st round. Yes, they can be found in later rounds but thats more the exception than the rule. Truth is though, 1st round QB's generally have a higher chance of success...will they all succeed? No of course not.

Blankman17 is offline Registered User

I have to agree with SD.

Find a serviceable FA and do what you have to do to get Locker or a 2010 breakout.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

How did Tony Pike look last night vs. Florida?

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I listened to the first half while on the road home from Jacksonville, and it didn't sound very pretty for Pike. What I saw of the second half in my hotel that night wasn't much better, but I'll defer to someone else who watched more closely than I did.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Pike wasn't as terrible as the scoreboard made it look. His defense was a atrocious, his receivers dropped many catchable balls, his line stunk, he was accurate pretty good arm, much more athletic and a better on the run than i though he would be. One of the main reasons Pike struggled is

Ryan Mallet looked really bad. He had only one completion on the money down 3rd down. He lead an offense that didn't convert a single 3rd down. Horrendous footwork at times. No doubt he has a cannon, but he threw plenty of erratic throws. His receivers didn't always help, but he wasn't always accurate. Right now if he came out he would be Jamarcus Russell IMO he needs to go back to school.

The only QB I like in this class is Claussen. This class is pretty bad after the top 2

The Optimistic Lamb is offline Registered User

Yah, I am of the opinion that the Rams should get their act together before we draft a franchise QB. We need a reliable foundation. And I think it would be important to grab an all star WR, first.

However, there are few problems:

1) There is a lack of WR talent worthy of the 1st round
    2) Jason Smith (our foundation) is having concussion issues

Oshiomogho is offline Registered User

Exactly what i was looking for on this site!

I think the Rams should go with Tebow. We need a guy that can really take control of the Offense, and Tim is that guy. McCoy would be my 2nd choice here because I feel both of those guys can be huge superstars, and i dont see the other guys being able to do it.

But if anything was possible, trade our 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round picks and get Sam Bradford. Bradford + Suh would be one of our best drafts ever.

max
    max is offline Registered User

Mallet looks like a head case to me. Very high strung player. That's a huge red flag. I wouldn't touch him. McCoy has limited tools but he appears to have the right constitution to excel in the position. Tebow won't last to the 2nd round. I actually like Canfield in the 3rd round.

Oshiomogho is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by max View Post
    Tebow won't last to the 2nd round.
    I don't think there is a chance he goes in the 1st round. To many QB's better.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12