Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Round 3 WRs

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Round 3 WRs

I think there are going to be 3 guys that would be available to us in the third and perfect fits for Al Saunders system and all could have a good shot for starting in the slot.

Donnie Avery- Avery is my personal favorite. Avery is extremely quick and agile. Has incredible deep speed and nice soft hands. He didn't time as well as expected, but he still got an official 4.4 flat with an injured hamstring. Imagine what he can do healthy. I am not sure Avery is going to be able to go over the middle successfully unless he does it in a Wes Welker kind of way.

Eddie Royal- Has never really been productive at VT besides returns. Royal had an incredible off season he played very well in the senior bowl and had one of the best combines at the WR position. Royal ran a nice 4.39 and put up 24 bench reps which led all WR's. He also had 36" vertical. Royal is very small 5'9 184 I also question his ability to go over the middle.

Andre Caldwell- Was Teebow's deep threat all year. Size and speed very similar to Torry Holt he just doesn't have the production yet. His speed made him a very versatile utility in the senior and with Florida all year.He ran a 4.37 and only DeSean Jackson had a bet 40 time at WR. He has 6'0 205 and has the best size giving him the best ability to go over the middle.

Who would you go with? If you have other guys feel free to name the,

Mooselini Guest

Re: Round 3 WRs

I'm all for Donnie Avery in the third round. Like he is to you, he's my favorite receiver for the Rams.

Utilize him the Wes Welker way, and he'll be great.

shower beers is offline Registered User

I think I saw that Royal and Caldwell both had excellent combines and their stock may rise higher than our third round pick. I think I even saw that Caldwell could creep into the first.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

anyone for lavelle hawkins out of Cal? He's 6-2, he has been a very dependable target

txramsfan is offline Registered User

If we wait till the third round for a WR, watch out for the Cartman in me.

BIG-BLUE is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    If we wait till the third round for a WR, watch out for the Cartman in me.
    Thanks for the heads up TX, & I will stay clear. Because I believe the Cartman in you will show it's ugly side. Rams won't take a WR until the 3rd or later. Sorry TX we just need lineman, Both on D & O in the early rounds

rammiser is offline Registered User

I was big on Adarius Bowman untill he posted a 4.7 40 time. We need a burner and my second favorite wr is Avery. I would be very happy with Avery in the 3rd.
    Just Fix It

I just think that when it comes to O lineman, there isn't much of a difference from Round 2 to Round 3 but in this draft, it's heavy on the WR talent and by the Rams drafting high in the 2nd round, they could get a top notch WR that they desperately, desperately need to stretch the field.

I hear you TX loud & clear, but I do believe we still have enough talent at WR, & it doesn't do us any good to streach the field while our QB is on his back. There is just to many holes to fill & you have to start on the lines.

Mooselini Guest

Yeah TX. I hear your point, but as Big-Blue said, when your quarterback can't get the ball in the air because he's running from 300 pound guys, Torry Holt, Randy Moss and Chad Johnson on the same team won't do you any good.

Well, what happens if the Rams let Bruce go? All you have is Holt. That's it. So, what's thinner....a line with Pace, Stettersom, Incognito, Romberg and Barron OR a WR corp with Holt, Bennett.......and I don't know who?

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bruce4life View Post
    anyone for lavelle hawkins out of Cal? He's 6-2, he has been a very dependable target
    Hawkins is 5-11 man and not as fast as any of those guys, i will give you dependable target though

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Andre Caldwell- Was Teebow's deep threat all year. Size and speed very similar to Torry Holt he just doesn't have the production yet. His speed made him a very versatile utility in the senior and with Florida all year.He ran a 4.37 and only DeSean Jackson had a bet 40 time at WR. He has 6'0 205 and has the best size giving him the best ability to go over the middle.

Who would you go with? If you have other guys feel free to name the,[/quote]

Right there with ya on Caldwell! I was following him all year and felt he was ideal for us. My fear is that he'll be gone be the 3rd round.

Go Rams!:r

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Well, what happens if the Rams let Bruce go? All you have is Holt. That's it. So, what's thinner....a line with Pace, Stettersom, Incognito, Romberg and Barron OR a WR corp with Holt, Bennett.......and I don't know who?
    Then they let him go. My hope is that Bruce will restructure his contract & all will be good @ the WR for another year & I for 1 haven't total given up on Bennett, I know a lot of fans have but I want to give him another year to see if we give Bulger time, & Bulger & Bennett work together in camp a little more maybe we see a little more consistency from him. As far as stretching the field goes I do believe we have a kid named Derek Stanley who has speed, & I would like to see him compete for a bigger role.
    But bottom line here is if we don't protect our investment in Bulger & our future investment in SJ, stretching the field will be the last of our concerns.
    Hopefully tho we can find a gem WR in the later rounds & keep everyone smiling

I don't think so but what do I know? If I truly knew about football personnel, I wouldn't be an accountant in Texas.

I'll put it this way, as I don't understand the Clan very often in this forum. The whole year the Clan complained that it was the health of the O line that made the Rams 3-13. Ok, this offseason gives the O line a chance to heal. Romburg, Stetterstom (sp), Incognito, Barron and Pace will all be healthy starting the year. We will lose Bruce and what on Earth has Staley actually done to consider even being a 3rd WR in the rotation? So we go in with Bennett who has to be the most overpriced FA signing since Jamie Duncan, and Holt. That's it. That's all the talent. And, knowing how the Rams are soooooooo successful at drafting skill positions in the later rounds, there is no way possible this front office with ziggy at the helm lands a Colston.
    Last edited by txramsfan; -02-27-2008 at 02:32 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast