Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Round One Shaping Up For Rams Deal Down?

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

Round One Shaping Up For Rams Deal Down?

Sure, there seems to be six top tier players in this draft, but more and more, it appears that it could be Jeff Fishers preference to trade down again, based on his history drafting in Tennessee, and how this first round is shaping up.

With the Vikings now poised to take CB Morris Claiborne over T Ryan Kalil, it could mean Kalil is posibly going to sink all the way to Carolina, picking 9th.

If the Vikings stay put and take Claiborne, it changes everything, if Cleveland then takes Trent Richardson as expected, it leaves Tampa Bay, not in great need of an OT, looking hard at trading down.

Is that where Miami makes sure they get Ryan Tannehill, or will a team like the Chiefs deal ahead of them to snatch the Texas A&M star?

If Tampa cannot deal, would they take Justin Blackmon, even with a good stable of receivers? Not likely. Would a team trade up for Blackmon? Don't see that either.

That means Tampa could surprise by going with the next best defensive player, either DT Fletcher Cox or Michael Brockers, or DE/LB Melvin Ingram. A longshot is CB Stephen Gilmore.

The Rams in this scenario could be left with both Kalil and Blackmon on the board. Sme would argue that this is great, though there would ba a split opinion on which player would be best for the Rams.

They seem intent on going with the two young starting tackles, and would probably pass on Kalil.

I think the guy Fisher really covets is Fletcher Cox, and he'd really prefer to get an anchor for his defense right away. It's perhaps their biggest need, and Cox is getting very close to a top tier ranking as the scouting process has continued.

Unless the Bucs take Cox, I could see Fisher looking hard at dealing down with Miami, who will be very afraid that Jacksonville at #7 will deal down to a team like the Chiefs.

The Jags may be a bit more inclined to stay put if Blackmon falls to them, so a trade down by the Rams means they were not taking Blackmon anyway.

If the Rams can pick up a second rounder for moving down a couple spots, they gain the flexibility to move up from round two a bit to get a WR, either Reuben Randle or Kendall Wright.

Getting Cox or Brockers , and one of those WR would be better than Blackmon and a second round DT. The top four or five DT will be gone before round one is near over.

As a fan, I want the weapon for the offense, but as a person knowing a team has to have defense first to be a winner, I'd be happy with a pro-bowl caliber DT in round one, especially if I add a good #2 pick in the process.

Barry Waller

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Re: Round One Shaping Up For Rams Deal Down?

I really am starting to believe that Fisher is in love with Cox... G** d*** media!! Its such a perfect fit...
    Last edited by HUbison; -04-21-2012 at 04:37 PM.
    ZiaRam likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM

Rambos is offline Registered User

If the Vikes did change the draft by taking Claiborne that would be a shocker...

But if they did and the draft went in this order... Fisher has done what he said he would do so far. He said he wants to protect Bradford. He sees something in Smith.

This O line would be hard to pass on...

LT Kalil
    LG Safford
    C Wells
    RG Dahl
    RT Smith

With two second round picks we could still get a DT and WR in this draft.

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

I don't think the Vikings are "poised" to take Claiborne over Kalil, but if they do, and if Kalil slips to the Rams at #6, I believe we need to snatch him. If we can get value for trading down (and I mean in excess of what the #6 usually brings, since Kalil is a steal at #6) then I'm ok with moving down again at that point. But under no circumstances do I think the Rams should pass on Kalil in favor of another player at #6.

I think it's all moot though, as Kalil to the Vikings is still >90% in my book.

general counsel is offline Registered User

I dont think you can move saffold to guard. He has been a tackle his entire career. I think what barry is saying makes perfect sense as a scenario if the vikings pass on khalil, which i dont think that they will do.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I really am starting to believe that Fisher is in love with Cox... G** d*** media!! Its such a perfect fit...
    I don't understand this post. First, why are you "staring to believe" anything about who Fisher loves? Not one person (Barry included) has said that the Fletcher Cox notion is based upon anything that Fisher himself said.

As for him being a perfect fit, I'm not so sure. While he is a great prospect, I'm not sure that we wouldn't be better off with a bigger, run stopping DT.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Waller View Post
    Getting Cox or Brockers , and one of those WR would be better than Blackmon and a second round DT. The top four or five DT will be gone before round one is near over.
    I dont agree with either of these statements. There is going to be great DT prospects in the 2nd round, and i dont see the top 5 all going in the 1st round.

Blackmon and 2nd round DT > Cox/Brockers and 2nd round WR

I know some may disagree with that, but its what i believe.
    THOLTFAN81, Forstlan and ZiaRam like this.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I have to disagree with you there, Barry.

I'd much rather have Blackmon and a second round DT. By my count, there are as many as eight DTs that arguably have a Round 1 or 2 rating:

Fletcher Cox
    Michael Brockers
    Dontari Poe
    Brandon Thompson
    Jerel Worthy
    Devon Still
    Almeda Ta'amu
    Kendall Reyes

I'd rather have Blackmon and one of those players (probably Thompson or Worthy) than Cox/Brockers and Randle, Wright or some other second tier WR.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -04-21-2012 at 05:20 PM.
    THOLTFAN81 and ZiaRam like this.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    As for him being a perfect fit, I'm not so sure. While he is a great prospect, I'm not sure that we wouldn't be better off with a bigger, run stopping DT.
    I'm kind of thinking the same thing. When the Rams signed Langford, the early word was that he was going to be this team's three-technique defensive tackle. That would seem to imply that the other tackle would serve as more of the nose. I don't think that's Cox's game. If anything, Michael Brockers in the first or Brandon Thompson in the second would fit that role well I think.
    THOLTFAN81 and GROUND DOG 39 like this.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Three
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

With the Vikings now poised to take CB Morris Claiborne over T Ryan Kalil, it could mean Kalil is posibly going to sink all the way to Carolina, picking 9th.
    Really? You do know Minnesota is gonna take Kalil , right, so their young QB doesn't get killed? That picks about as big a lock as the two QB
    Clearly, the only way this team is ever gonna get a true #1 receiver for Sam Bradford, it's this pick, this year, so you have to resist taking Claiborne, by far the best defensive player on the board, and Richardson, to get Blackmon.
    First it was Cleveland controlling our destiny and Blackmon was the only person we could possibly draft to save the team. Now Cox is the man, and those WRs in the 2nd round are ok?
    Last edited by HUbison; -04-21-2012 at 08:20 PM.

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

First of all I think people are believing in the smoke being blown around the media WAY TO MUCH! Hello? Don't you know this happens every year? and the Vikings organization is working overtime since no one traded with them this whole time, they have said repeatedly that their #3 pick was up for grabs back in Jan/Feb and since we trumped them with the #2 pick trade they trying to create a stir for someone to trade up and get a player. They are going to take Kalil. Now with he Browns is another story and they control our destiny!

and by the way Blackmon/2nd round DT trumps any other dumb mocks out there especially with us taking a crappy second round WR who is half of Blackmon... well maybe not half but thats about it!
    THOLTFAN81 and Tampa_Ram like this.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    If the Vikes did change the draft by taking Claiborne that would be a shocker...

But if they did and the draft went in this order... Fisher has done what he said he would do so far. He said he wants to protect Bradford. He sees something in Smith.

This O line would be hard to pass on...

LT Kalil
    LG Safford
    C Wells
    RG Dahl
    RT Smith

With two second round picks we could still get a DT and WR in this draft.
    Still hoping above all else that we draft Kalil, huh Rambos?

Sorry, but I don't see it happening, even if he's there at 6.

Fisher doesn't like O-linemen in the 1st round, and frankly, I don't see anything about Kalil or the current linemen on the roster that's going to change that.

Restructuring Smith is certainly a sign that we're going with what we have, at least for this year, and well we should IMO.

If Smith doesn't work out this year, then we take the best OT next year.

Meanwhile, I'm all for building the defense up with earlier round picks, should that be the direction Fisher chooses to take.

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

How quickly we all forget the "Cory Liuget" hype train last season, when we were all but guaranteed to draft him based on a million mocks.
    shower beers likes this.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    Still hoping above all else that we draft Kalil, huh Rambos?

Sorry, but I don't see it happening, even if he's there at 6.

Fisher doesn't like O-linemen in the 1st round, and frankly, I don't see anything about Kalil or the current linemen on the roster that's going to change that.

Restructuring Smith is certainly a sign that we're going with what we have, at least for this year, and well we should IMO.

If Smith doesn't work out this year, then we take the best OT next year.

Meanwhile, I'm all for building the defense up with earlier round picks, should that be the direction Fisher chooses to take.
    I'm not buying he has never drafted a certain player theory.

If Smith does not workout this year and he is the starting RT, then Bardford had another poor year and is looking like a bust. Fisher said he was going to protect Bradford, so IMO if and I don't think it will happen Kalil is there we take him. I have said that from day one and will continue too. But like I said don't think it will happen.

Do you think this O -line is fixed? We still need a starting Guard and Both the young OT played poor last year, both are coming off injuries. Smith is still a big question mark, Safford will play well this year IMO I hope.
    GROUND DOG 39 likes this.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    I'm not buying he has never drafted a certain player theory.

If Smith does not workout this year and he is the starting RT, then Bardford had another poor year and is looking like a bust. Fisher said he was going to protect Bradford, so IMO if and I don't think it will happen Kalil is there we take him. I have said that from day one and will continue too. But like I said don't think it will happen.

Do you think this O -line is fixed? We still need a starting Guard and Both the young OT played poor last year, both are coming off injuries. Smith is still a big question mark, Safford will play well this year IMO I hope.
    I don't think it would be wise for the team, to go into that first game with Jason Smith manning a tackle spot. It doesn't even bear thinking about Rambos. I doubt Fisher is going to ask for trouble, so an upgrade to a tackle spot is imperative in my opinion. That is if he has any plans on keeping Bradford upright, and healthy going forward.?
    Thankfully our new coach is a dab hand with O-lineman, so Ive not been worrying too much about our O-Line struggles.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast